General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Is there a difference in flour??????

Started by tomkanpa · · Last activity · 35 posts · 1,475 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 December 2005
Last activity
21 December 2005
Original author
tomkanpa
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,475
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–35 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    djs0302 said:

    If someone needs to see a marriage counselor over a stupid bag of flour
    then they definitely have problems.

    It's not the flour that's the issue. It's the doing something the
    opposite of what was asked of you, when it was made clear that it was
    important to the person who did the asking for no reason other than
    saving a few cents.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  2. Ranee Mueller said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    aem said:

    Flours differ. Wheat crops differ. What did you save, 33 cents? Why
    would you assign that a higher value than getting what your wife said
    she wanted? Now you're trying to rationalize by finding someone here
    who will tell you that it shouldn't have mattered. Go to the store and
    buy some Pilsbury flour and save the expense of a marriage counselor.
    ;-( -aem

    Unless their budget is so tight that those pennies count, I agree.
    On the occasions that Rich goes to the store for me, he buys the brands
    I specify. I usually don't specify a brand, so he figures if I did, it
    matters.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    DH does the same for me. I have specific brands and that's that.
    Sometimes that ends up in a funny situation. Once 5 Roses flour was on
    sale. DH took my grocery list and seeing the *5* thought I wanted 5
    bags of *roses* flour not *5 Roses* flour. He brought home 5 - 10 kg
    bags of 5. Let me tell you it sure took awhile to use up that flour
    since even then I used very little white flour!

  3. Ranee Mueller said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    djs0302 said:

    If someone needs to see a marriage counselor over a stupid bag of flour
    then they definitely have problems.

    It's not the flour that's the issue. It's the doing something the
    opposite of what was asked of you, when it was made clear that it was
    important to the person who did the asking for no reason other than
    saving a few cents.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    If you save a few cents on most of your food items, it adds up 🙂

    --

    saerah

    "Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a
    disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."
    -Baruch Spinoza

    "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
    what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear
    and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There
    is another theory which states that this has already happened."
    -Douglas Adams

  4. Ranee Mueller said:

    Unless their budget is so tight that those pennies count, I agree.
    On the occasions that Rich goes to the store for me, he buys the brands
    I specify. I usually don't specify a brand, so he figures if I did, it
    matters.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    You know how you might clip coupons for products you're not immediately
    in need of or perhaps only going to buy and try if they go on sale and
    the coupon makes them near free? I once had a running shopping list, and
    also had cut the coupons out of the weekly insert paper and left them on
    the counter. Hubster just grabbed list and coupons and bought everything
    I asked for PLUS every thing I'd cut a coupon for. LOL He assumed I
    meant for him to buy it all.

  5. "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You know how you might clip coupons for products you're not immediately in
    need of or perhaps only going to buy and try if they go on sale and the
    coupon makes them near free? I once had a running shopping list, and also
    had cut the coupons out of the weekly insert paper and left them on the
    counter. Hubster just grabbed list and coupons and bought everything I
    asked for PLUS every thing I'd cut a coupon for. LOL He assumed I meant
    for him to buy it all.

    Oh, that is so funny. That happened to me once, I made up a list for all
    these things, maybe I needed them, maybe I was thinking, it's on sale,
    maybe I'll get it maybe I won't. Ron grabbed the list without me knowing
    (not bringing the coupons I intended, either) and got every last thing.
    Including mascara and pantyhose. Damn and he got it right! Right color
    mascara (cept he got waterproof) and the right color and brand of
    stockings. Who knew he was paying attention!??

    Cracked me up, felt bad I'd assigned such a chore without meaning to.
    I still laugh at the thought of him poring over the different mascaras with
    all their different shaped wands, etc. He got it right!

    nancy

  6. aem said:


    Flours differ. Wheat crops differ. What did you save, 33 cents? Why
    would you assign that a higher value than getting what your wife said
    she wanted? Now you're trying to rationalize by finding someone here
    who will tell you that it shouldn't have mattered. Go to the store and
    buy some Pilsbury flour and save the expense of a marriage counselor.
    ;-( -aem

    Flour on sale can be a matter of a lot more than 33 cents. I find that flour
    is much cheaper per pound in larger quantities. I recently bought a 20 lb.
    bag of Robin Hood all purpose for $4.99, which is not much more than it
    usually costs for a 10 lb. bag, and then in another store I saw the same size
    bags for $3.99.

  7. Learned in Husbanding-101:

    If she asks for Pillsbury, BRING HOME PILLSBURY!

    End of lesson!

    Pixmaker inFLL
    ==========================
    It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
    ==========================
    (Think the humidity's bad?
    You should watch us vote!)
    ==========================

  8. Pixmaker said:

    Learned in Husbanding-101:

    If she asks for Pillsbury, BRING HOME PILLSBURY!

    End of lesson!

    But did the OP's wife specifically ask for Pillsbury flour this time?
    The OP made it sound like his wife had always asked for Pillsbury flour
    in the past but he said nothing about her specifically asking for it
    this time.

  9. Dave Smith said:
    aem said:


    Flours differ. Wheat crops differ. What did you save, 33 cents? Why
    would you assign that a higher value than getting what your wife said
    she wanted? Now you're trying to rationalize by finding someone here
    who will tell you that it shouldn't have mattered. Go to the store and
    buy some Pilsbury flour and save the expense of a marriage counselor.
    ;-( -aem

    Flour on sale can be a matter of a lot more than 33 cents. I find that flour
    is much cheaper per pound in larger quantities. I recently bought a 20 lb.
    bag of Robin Hood all purpose for $4.99, which is not much more than it
    usually costs for a 10 lb. bag, and then in another store I saw the same size
    bags for $3.99.

    I have not checked recenlty but about a month and a half ago no-name
    flour was roughy Cdn$5.99 / 20 kg versus $ 9.99 for Robin Hood and I
    cannot tell any difference for breads.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    sarah bennett said:

    If you save a few cents on most of your food items, it adds up 🙂

    Oh, I know. However, it sounded like this had come up before, and he
    still insisted on doing what he wanted, regardless of her wishes. I
    have never gotten the impression that they were scraping by, though I
    could be wrong, and it wasn't phrased in a way to imply that those 33
    cents made a huge difference in their budget. This makes it seem like a
    tug of war between them. Now, to be fair, if she knows this about her
    husband, she probably shouldn't ask him to get those things for her from
    the store either.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  11. Quoted message said:

    If someone needs to see a marriage counselor over a stupid bag of flour
    then they definitely have problems.

    You are so right. While visiting grandparents years ago, ran out of
    disposable diapers. It seemed so simple, I went with Grandpa to check
    the cattle, Grandma stayed with great grand daughter during nap, Dad
    went to get more diapers. He asked me what brand, my answer "Anything
    "EXCEPT" Pampers. Guess what I found on daughter when I returned?

    As far as flour goes, attitude makes the results different. Some
    observations regarding therapeutic cooking from my mother's kitchen:

    Yeast breads and noodles are better made when angry. You are more
    likely to mix the dough more and knead it harder, maybe even get to
    puch it down and let it rise again. It takes a lot of energy rolling
    out noodles. By the time they are ready to cut, you have either calmed
    down a lot, or you will really enjoy cutting them up into noodles. (If
    Mom was really on a roll, she'd cut the noodles vigorously with one of
    her longest sharpest knives. They'd be crooked and irregular lengths,
    but would taste great.)

    Pie crust and cookie dough will be tough for the same reason. Best
    made when you really want to do something "special", but don't think
    you have time. Cut the flour into the shortening, oil, butter or
    lard, or cream the eggs, butter, and sugar, but be gentle when mixing
    flour with liquid. Handle it lightly and quickly, no more than
    necessary to get it to stick together to roll.

    Mom made the best cream pies and custards. Beautiful meringues, were a
    work of art. I always thought they were time consuming, fussy, and
    messy. I still hate double boilers and separating eggs. It took years
    for me to figure out that Mom made cream pies on Dad's days off from
    work.

    Nancy G.

  12. Nancy Young said:

    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You know how you might clip coupons for products you're not immediately in
    need of or perhaps only going to buy and try if they go on sale and the
    coupon makes them near free? I once had a running shopping list, and also
    had cut the coupons out of the weekly insert paper and left them on the
    counter. Hubster just grabbed list and coupons and bought everything I
    asked for PLUS every thing I'd cut a coupon for. LOL He assumed I meant
    for him to buy it all.

    Oh, that is so funny. That happened to me once, I made up a list for all
    these things, maybe I needed them, maybe I was thinking, it's on sale,
    maybe I'll get it maybe I won't. Ron grabbed the list without me knowing
    (not bringing the coupons I intended, either) and got every last thing.
    Including mascara and pantyhose. Damn and he got it right! Right color
    mascara (cept he got waterproof) and the right color and brand of
    stockings. Who knew he was paying attention!??

    Cracked me up, felt bad I'd assigned such a chore without meaning to.
    I still laugh at the thought of him poring over the different mascaras with
    all their different shaped wands, etc. He got it right!

    I will not buy electronics or computer components for my husband, even
    with a specific list:

    "Oh no. This is the wrong thing. Why'd you buy this?"

    "It's what you told me to get. Look, you even wrote it down."

    "Yeah, but I *meant* the inverted wheegles, to cope with the increased
    signal bleed. Look, you knew I was recombobulating the frackinator.
    These things can't possibly weft the kligments."

    Kathleen

  13. Kathleen said:

    I will not buy electronics or computer components for my husband, even
    with a specific list:

    "Oh no. This is the wrong thing. Why'd you buy this?"

    "It's what you told me to get. Look, you even wrote it down."

    "Yeah, but I *meant* the inverted wheegles, to cope with the increased
    signal bleed. Look, you knew I was recombobulating the frackinator.
    These things can't possibly weft the kligments."

    Ah, almost an inverse problem to the one I have with hubster and car
    repairs. Something will be wrong with the car and I'll suggest "Could it
    be the fragglezack??" and I'll get back this "Nawwwwwww, it isn't that.
    I'm going to look at the dingsboop...that's gotta be it." After much
    head scratching and perhaps wasting time and money, it always ends up
    being the fragglezack I suggested in the first place! He should always
    just listen to me in the first place and get it over with, y'know?
    Goomba

  14. Kathleen said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    You know how you might clip coupons for products you're not
    immediately in need of or perhaps only going to buy and try if they
    go on sale and the coupon makes them near free? I once had a running
    shopping list, and also had cut the coupons out of the weekly insert
    paper and left them on the counter. Hubster just grabbed list and
    coupons and bought everything I asked for PLUS every thing I'd cut a
    coupon for. LOL He assumed I meant for him to buy it all.

    Oh, that is so funny. That happened to me once, I made up a list for all
    these things, maybe I needed them, maybe I was thinking, it's on sale,
    maybe I'll get it maybe I won't. Ron grabbed the list without me knowing
    (not bringing the coupons I intended, either) and got every last thing.
    Including mascara and pantyhose. Damn and he got it right! Right color
    mascara (cept he got waterproof) and the right color and brand of
    stockings. Who knew he was paying attention!??

    Cracked me up, felt bad I'd assigned such a chore without meaning to.
    I still laugh at the thought of him poring over the different mascaras
    with
    all their different shaped wands, etc. He got it right!

    I will not buy electronics or computer components for my husband, even
    with a specific list:

    I won't either AND he know's not to buy any for me. We have very
    different tastes when it comes to electronics and computers! I won't
    buy tools for DH either.

    Quoted message said:

    "Oh no. This is the wrong thing. Why'd you buy this?"

    "It's what you told me to get. Look, you even wrote it down."

    "Yeah, but I *meant* the inverted wheegles, to cope with the increased
    signal bleed. Look, you knew I was recombobulating the frackinator.
    These things can't possibly weft the kligments."

    Kathleen

  15. Goomba38 said:
    Kathleen said:

    I will not buy electronics or computer components for my husband, even
    with a specific list:

    "Oh no. This is the wrong thing. Why'd you buy this?"

    "It's what you told me to get. Look, you even wrote it down."

    "Yeah, but I *meant* the inverted wheegles, to cope with the increased
    signal bleed. Look, you knew I was recombobulating the frackinator.
    These things can't possibly weft the kligments."

    Ah, almost an inverse problem to the one I have with hubster and car
    repairs. Something will be wrong with the car and I'll suggest "Could it
    be the fragglezack??" and I'll get back this "Nawwwwwww, it isn't that.
    I'm going to look at the dingsboop...that's gotta be it." After much
    head scratching and perhaps wasting time and money, it always ends up
    being the fragglezack I suggested in the first place! He should always
    just listen to me in the first place and get it over with, y'know?
    Goomba

    I always try to remember the approach where the other person feels like
    *they* came up with the solution. I'll pretend I'm stupid and ask
    questions about parts and next thing you know they're talking about the
    solution.

    I never actually remember to use this approach when it is time, though 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.