Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Is this a phishing scam?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,141 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 March 2007
Last activity
5 March 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,141
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    I got this on an email email today.
    http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

    Quoted message said:

    Andres

    Those guys are FAST! As quickly as one server's taken down, another one goes
    up. Wonder how many people get taken by something like that?

    "You get what you pay for if you know what you're doing; otherwise,
    you get what you deserve." - Frank Berto

  2. In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Fritz <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    You could have formatted this instead of dumping
    progressive indentations. And if you were sorry about
    the order, you would have fixed it instead of asking us
    to deal with it.

    Quoted message said:

    Have a nice ride!

    Same to you, Buddy.

    --
    Michael Press

  3. Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Fritz <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    You could have formatted this

    Formatted what?

    Quoted message said:

    instead of dumping
    progressive indentations. And if you were sorry about
    the order, you would have fixed it instead of asking us
    to deal with it.

    He pasted an old e-mail exchange. Easy enough to read from bottom up if
    interested; otherwise quick scan and move on.

    Netcop egregious cases maybe, but this was just needless pedantic
    nitpickery.

    HAND!

  4. Bill Sornson said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Fritz <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    [...]
    You could have formatted this

    Formatted what?

    Quoted message said:

    instead of dumping
    progressive indentations. And if you were sorry about
    the order, you would have fixed it instead of asking us
    to deal with it.

    He pasted an old e-mail exchange. Easy enough to read from bottom up if
    interested; otherwise quick scan and move on.

    Netcop egregious cases maybe, but this was just needless pedantic
    nitpickery.

    HAND!

    Perhaps you prefer "needless pedantic nitpickery" packaged with a
    toxic dose of smarm?

  5. Quoted post said:

    On Mar 2, 1:54 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"

    Quoted message said:

    On Mar 2, 12:44 pm, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    On Mar 2, 1:28 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > Earlier, you said Augusta was only 2 hours from your house. Where are
    > you located?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dover, NH.

    Quoted message said:

    A very nice area. I had some pleasant rides up the NH/Maine coast.

    Thanks, we're very happy here. I'm from northeastern MA, and the
    better half & I spent time in Boston & Salem before buying. The costs
    in MA pushed us into NH, but now that we're there I'm grateful (even
    if the commute is a bit much). I'm still fairly new to the area,
    anything in particular you'd suggest I avoid missing? I'm still at
    the point where I pick a totally different route every time I ride the
    roads.

    Two books you might find helpful:

    "30 Bicycle Tours in New Hampshire" ISBN 0-88150-192-1

    and

    "25 Bicycle Tours in Maine" ISBN 0-88150-170-0

    My copies are early '90s, but you should still be able to find copies
    available. Just stick the ISBN in a Google search.

  6. "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I got this on an email email
    > today.http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

    I was wondering the same thing, and they're only 2 hours from my
    house. If weather and schedule permit I may drive up there and check
    it out in person this weekend. I'll post back if I do.

    Don't bother; already done & answered here-
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=260632

    I got the same email, by the way.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    If it looks to good to be true it probably is....
    http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/

    Goes right along with....

    "A fool and his money are soon parted"
    Thomas Tusser, English farmer and writer 1524-1580

    Chas.

  7. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:
    Quoted post said:

    I got this on an email email


    today.http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Andres

    Call these folks and ask:

    Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce
    21 University Dr
    Augusta, Maine 04330
    207-623-4559

    Good luck!

    Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce has no listing or reference to
    Jeromes. They've had many calls, but know nothing.

    Autusta Police are in the same boat. They were able to tell me
    exactly where it should be, in reference to two businesses across the
    street. The officer I spoke with had no knowledge of there being a
    business across the street, and seemed to think if it was a business
    it was being run out of a house. I find it hard to imagine a house-
    based store has enough of an inventory to warrant a web-based sale of
    in-stock bikes.

    Augusta Attorney General has been busy for the past hour.

    Calling the # listed for Jeromes in the email goes to a voicemail
    stating all lines are busy and to try later or contact via email,
    which is a free yahoo address as opposed to an addy that ties in with
    their website. The way the voice says "bicycles" (hear: bee see
    kles) makes it clear it's an automated voice.

    Google searching the phone # in the email results in two hits. One
    references Jack's Cycling Store, and the other Norman's Cycling Store.

    At this point I'm calling shenanigans. YMMV.

    I'm writing you from Nigeria. Please send me $10,000 USD and I will give
    you $1.2 million USD in return..... ;-)

    Chas.

  8. * * Chas said:

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > I got this on an email email
    > > today.http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was wondering the same thing, and they're only 2 hours from my
    house. If weather and schedule permit I may drive up there and check
    it out in person this weekend. I'll post back if I do.

    Quoted message said:

    Don't bother; already done & answered here-
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=260632

    Quoted message said:

    I got the same email, by the way.

    Quoted message said:

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    If it looks to good to be true it probably is....http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com/

    Goes right along with....

    "A fool and his money are soon parted"
    Thomas Tusser, English farmer and writer 1524-1580

    AKA, the Merry Motto of the Modern Marketeer! ;-)

  9. "Ozark Bicycle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted post said:

    On Mar 2, 8:43 am, "Ozark Bicycle"

    Quoted message said:

    On Mar 2, 6:34 am, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > I got this on an email email


    today.http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    > Andres

    Quoted message said:

    Call these folks and ask:

    Quoted message said:

    Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce
    21 University Dr
    Augusta, Maine 04330
    207-623-4559

    Quoted message said:

    Good luck!

    Kennebec Valley Chamber of Commerce has no listing or reference to
    Jeromes. They've had many calls, but know nothing.

    Autusta Police are in the same boat. They were able to tell me
    exactly where it should be, in reference to two businesses across the
    street. The officer I spoke with had no knowledge of there being a
    business across the street, and seemed to think if it was a business
    it was being run out of a house. I find it hard to imagine a house-
    based store has enough of an inventory to warrant a web-based sale of
    in-stock bikes.

    Augusta Attorney General has been busy for the past hour.

    Calling the # listed for Jeromes in the email goes to a voicemail
    stating all lines are busy and to try later or contact via email,
    which is a free yahoo address as opposed to an addy that ties in with
    their website. The way the voice says "bicycles" (hear: bee see
    kles) makes it clear it's an automated voice.

    Google searching the phone # in the email results in two hits. One
    references Jack's Cycling Store, and the other Norman's Cycling Store.

    At this point I'm calling shenanigans. YMMV.

    Yep, sure sounds like a scam at this point.

    I just wonder why on earth they chose a place like Augusta, Maine as
    the mythical location (???).

    As opposed to Augusta, Georgia home town of James Brown?

    Augusta, Maine is the state capital. It's a nice little town with a
    population of 18,560 in the middle of nowhere. "You can't get here from
    there." ;-)

    A note to the victims of this scam... If it sounds to good to be true....
    or a fool and his money are soon parted.

    They're partying big time in Nigeria. Speaking of which. I have inherited
    a large sum of money which I cant spend. I you would kindly send me
    $10,000 USD....

    Chas.

  10. "BCDrums" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I got this on an email email today.


    http://jeromesbikes.freehostia.com/index.htm?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Andres

    I got the email too, but I didn't open it. I assume they harvested our
    names from this group.

    BC

    That's why I conceal my name and use semi-bogus email addresses on line. I
    have several AOL email addresses that I use as spam catchers.

    I received a disturbing email on Friday night saying that a subscription
    for online services was being renewed and my credit card was being charged
    for it. I can't follow up by phone until Monday.

    Someone harvested the last 4 digits of the credit card that I use for eBay
    purchases and tied it to one of my AOL addresses that I only use as a spam
    catcher.

    Chas.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bill Sornson said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    Fritz <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    You could have formatted this

    Formatted what?

    Quoted message said:

    instead of dumping
    progressive indentations. And if you were sorry about
    the order, you would have fixed it instead of asking us
    to deal with it.

    He pasted an old e-mail exchange.
    Easy enough to read from bottom up if

    No, it is not.

    Quoted message said:

    interested; otherwise quick scan and move on.

    Netcop egregious cases maybe, but this was just needless pedantic
    nitpickery.

    No, netcops are the ones show up on your door step with
    a warrant and hand you a receipt for the electronics
    they remove from your place, but thanks for the
    flattery.

    --
    Michael Press

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.