they're selling it to me for 500.00 brand new just built....
I thought you posted above that it's a 2004? If it is a 2004 seems that $500 is a little steep. But - if you rode the bike and you like it then I'd think there's some room to negotiate a lower price. The 2006 bikes are coming out real soon so I'd think they'd want to unload a 2004 bike fast.
If they won't budge and you just gotta have the bike tell them to throw in a helmet, shin guards and elbow/forearm protectors and they have a deal. Because if you do any jumps even small one you better get the protection above.
The best advice I can give you is - If you don't have a helmet get one ASAP. It's very very important unless you don't mind sitting in a wheelchair sipping broth through a straw and slobbering all over yourself. 😉