Is Toilet Water Cleaner Than The Ice In Your Drink...???

On Dec 2, 11:46�pm, Gregory Morrow <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:13:09 -0600, Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > > Now THIS will make ya hurl, kids...:

> > Everything about Chicago makes me wanna hurl.

> Yer just a fragile pansy - ass, Steve...we've got *rats* bigger than
> those wussy jackalopes you have down in Tejas...

.
NY rats carry switchblades and steal yer cheese.

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:43:19 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> Now THIS will make ya hurl, kids...:
>>

>> http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/health/677348,CST-NWS-ice02.article#
>>
>> Hold the ice: What's in your glass might surprise you
>>
>> COLD TRUTH | 'Someone's not washing their hands properly': 1 in 5
>> samples from restaurants, bars found to have high levels of bacteria
>>

>I don't understand this. Ice in a restaurant is is made by a machine. Ice
>is place into glasses via an ice scoop. While I certainly believe too many
>people don't wash their hands, I sincerely doubt they are grabbing ice with
>their bare hands to fill glasses.

Many fast fod places use Ice Dispensers.
I cringe when a worker comes out with a bucket of ice cubes,
lifts the lid on the ice dispenser, and dumps it in.....

I find myself wondering...where/how did they fill the bucket.

<rj>

Sheldon wrote:

> > Municipal water contains an irreducible small number of bacteria.
> > Therefore, the water in the ice machine contains bacteria, but it stays
> > in the ice machine long enough for the chlorine to evaporate, so the
> > bacteria can begin to multiply.
> > The water in the toilet is flushed often, so the chlorine doesn't have
> > time to evaporate. The bacteria level stays fairly low.
> > There are bacteria growing on your teeth RIGHT NOW.
> >
> > I added that last part just for fun

> Not all bacteria are hamful, in fact there are many we need to live...
> the human body contains bacteria at all times, if it didn't we'd be
> dead. That's one of the reasons that determine the type and dosage of
> antibiotics prescribed by your doctor.

That's true. That is why it is a good idea to eat some real yoghurt after a
course of antibiotics. Keffir is even better for restoring that bacteria
garden in your guts. Never the less, you won't catch me drinking water
from the toilet tank. You are more likely to get bad bacteria than good
from it.

In article
<f59c43ba-8d63-4dde-a987-1089f407b542@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 11:46?pm, Gregory Morrow <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> > > Everything about Chicago makes me wanna hurl.

> > Yer just a fragile pansy - ass, Steve...we've got *rats* bigger than
> > those wussy jackalopes you have down in Tejas...

> .
> NY rats carry switchblades and steal yer cheese.

CHI rats own the cheese distribution, create small LLC's and funnel the
overcharging of cheese sales to trusted friends and relatives.

"<RJ>" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Many fast fod places use �Ice Dispensers.
> I cringe when a worker comes out with a bucket of ice cubes,
> lifts the lid on the ice dispenser, and dumps it in.....

What kind of ice dispenser... I've never seen such a system at a fast
food or any restaurant, not in the US... perhaps you're talking fifty
years ago when there was block ice in the bottled coke coolers... but
every restaurant in the US nowadays uses ice machines... the ice that
goes into dispensed drinks is produced exactly like the ice from a
through the door home fridge ice dispenser; cubes/crushed. And when
they do use a bucket to tranfer ice it's resonably clean, otherwise
every hotel/motel would be shut down because every room has a plastic
ice bucket, and the ice machines are out in the hall where any one who
just scratched their crotch can reach in.... but there are security
cameras in those hallways and amazingly everyone uses the scoop... I
suppose it's the unwritten "do unto others" doctrine.

And anyway water from a tap is not all that pure... if from a
municipal source that treats with chlorine (most municipalities do
not) it was pretty much bacteria free (live bacteria free that is)
when it left the plant but before it gets halfway to your tap it's
loaded with bacteria from the old underground piping, not to mention
the encrusted interior of most home plumbing. There are very few
water treatment facilities at homes or business.

It's a dirty world, everything contains germs... but normal healthy
beings have properly functioning immune systems. It's only the very
young, the very old, and those with compromised immune systems who
need to take extra precautions. If we made sure to live in a sterile
environment then we'd all have extremely compromised immune systems,
in fact we'd have no immunity whatsoever. Folks have been sucking ice
since forever without incident, it's only the compulsive-obsessives
who need to see a shrink. There isn't a person on the planet whose dog
hasn't licked their face... grow up why don't yoose.

On Dec 3, 11:40�am, Cydrome Leader <[email protected]> wrote:
> In chi.eats jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >> Now THIS will make ya hurl, kids...:

> >>http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/health/677348,CST-NWS-ice02.article#

> >> Hold the ice: What's in your glass might surprise you

> >> COLD TRUTH | 'Someone's not washing their hands properly': 1 in 5
> >> samples from restaurants, bars found to have high levels of bacteria

> > I don't understand this. �Ice in a restaurant is is made by a machine. �Ice
> > is place into glasses via an ice scoop. �While I certainly believe too many
> > people don't wash their hands, I sincerely doubt they are grabbing ice with
> > their bare hands to fill glasses.

> concept 1
>
> ice machines are inherently filthy.

Then what do folks do about the through the door chilled water and ice
maker on their home fridge.

I've never seen beverage glasses at fast food restaurants, they all
use paper disposables and they all have ice "dispensers"... in fact
most restaurants of all types nowadays use ice dispensers for drinks,
even booze bars. The most dangerous thing a bartender can do is to
scoop ice with the beverage glass, not germs, a bit of glass can chip
off... in fact a bar tender scooping ice with a glass is grounds for
instant dismissal... and most professional kitchens do not permit
glass in any form... it's only on foodtv where you see cutesy glass
items... many kitchens do not permit wine bottles.

On Dec 2, 6:55�pm, Gregory Morrow <[email protected]> wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > > Now THIS will make ya hurl, kids...:

> > >http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/health/677348,CST-NWS-ice02.article#

> > > Hold the ice: What's in your glass might surprise you

> > > COLD TRUTH | 'Someone's not washing their hands properly': 1 in 5
> > > samples from restaurants, bars found to have high levels of bacteria

> > I don't understand this. �Ice in a restaurant is is made by a machine. �Ice
> > is place into glasses via an ice scoop. �While I certainly believe too many
> > people don't wash their hands, I sincerely doubt they are grabbing ice with
> > their bare hands to fill glasses.

> Most of the grunt work in these establishments is done by uneducated
> immigrants who (despite "training") remain fairly unaware of basic
> hygiene practices...
>
> The ice machines themselves can be dirty...
>
> Anyways, when humans are involved in the process, there is bound to be
> some sort of "slip - up" at times...how many times have I seen a
> bartender or whoever grab a piece of ice and throw it in a glass? �Too
> many times to count...
>
> Also, I've seen in many places that ice is made in a machine and then
> hauled to the bar stations in buckets...that additional handling step
> can be another vector for germs.
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

These days ice dispensers are used to fill glasses... very few
businesses are still scooping drink ice. And there is nothing new
about the concept... cold drink vending machines have contained ice
dispensers for nigh on fifty years now... often the ice, the syrup,
and the carbonated water was dispensed perfectly but the machine would
forget the cup, so I suppose you can say it was so automated that it
drank it for you too.

And many of these machines now employ UV lamps... all food businesses
are more and more installing UV treatment equipment for water.
Everyone should install a UV treatment system for their home, the cost
is negligible, certainly less than a year's supply of bottled water...
and it continously treats all water used in the home at the same low
price, energy costs the price of using a 60w bulb, especially
important to treat is water used for bathing, hand washing, tooth
brushing, and of course drinking. I have no idea why intelligent folks
buy bottled water, it's ridiculously costly and isn't any better
quality than what comes from the corner gas station hose bib...
bottled water is not sterile water.. those chic name brands is
actually filthy water.... you're paying mostly for transporting, and
advertising, and of course the plastic bottles that also fercockt the
planet. Most people can install and maintain the UV water treatment
equipment themselves... the only costly part is replacing the UV lamp
once a year, costs about $40... all the water used in your house
treated for about 5 cents a day.

Sheldon

On Dec 2, 8:12�pm, none <[email protected]> wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >> Now THIS will make ya hurl, kids...:

> >>http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/health/677348,CST-NWS-ice02.article#

> >> Hold the ice: What's in your glass might surprise you

> >> COLD TRUTH | 'Someone's not washing their hands properly': 1 in 5
> >> samples from restaurants, bars found to have high levels of bacteria

> > I don't understand this. �Ice in a restaurant is is made by a machine. �Ice
> > is place into glasses via an ice scoop. �While I certainly believe too many
> > people don't wash their hands, I sincerely doubt they are grabbing ice with
> > their bare hands to fill glasses.

> Municipal water contains an irreducible small number of bacteria.
> Therefore, the water in the ice machine contains bacteria, but it stays
> in the ice machine long enough for the chlorine to evaporate, so the
> bacteria can begin to multiply.
> The water in the toilet is flushed often, so the chlorine doesn't have
> time to evaporate. The bacteria level stays fairly low.
> There are bacteria growing on your teeth RIGHT NOW.

When water entering the premises is UV treated bacteria count is
pretty close to zero. Chlorine is unnecessary, in fact most
municipalities do not chlorinate. UV treatment is more efficient than
chlorine and adds nothing to the water.

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 17:12:18 -0800, none <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Municipal water contains an irreducible small number of bacteria.
>Therefore, the water in the ice machine contains bacteria, but it stays
>in the ice machine long enough for the chlorine to evaporate, so the
>bacteria can begin to multiply.
>The water in the toilet is flushed often, so the chlorine doesn't have
>time to evaporate. The bacteria level stays fairly low.
>There are bacteria growing on your teeth RIGHT NOW.
>
>I added that last part just for fun...

oh noes!!!! i didn't read the very last line until after i had
already yanked out all my teeth!

your pal,
blake

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 20:21:48 -0500, Dave Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>none wrote:
>>

>> Municipal water contains an irreducible small number of bacteria.
>> Therefore, the water in the ice machine contains bacteria, but it stays
>> in the ice machine long enough for the chlorine to evaporate, so the
>> bacteria can begin to multiply.
>> The water in the toilet is flushed often, so the chlorine doesn't have
>> time to evaporate. The bacteria level stays fairly low.
>> There are bacteria growing on your teeth RIGHT NOW.

>I suppose that you mean that the chlorine sublimates, but it can only do
>that if it is at the surface area of the ice, which is so cold that it is
>not conducive for the bacteria to reproduce.
>
>The water in the flush reservoir tank has a large surface area for the
>chlorine to escape. Best that you can hope is that the tank is flushed
>often enough that there is a fairly downward flow of heavily chlorinated
>water. I get my water from a well. It is not chlorinated except the odd
>time that I toss some bleach into it. I don't see myself drinking from the
>toilet tank. I don't assume that it is automatically full of **** just
>because it is attached to the toilet bowl, which sometimes is, but you'll
>have a hard time convincing me that it is not unsafe to drink.

could millions of dogs be wrong?

your pal,
blake

Goomba38 wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I don't understand this. Ice in a restaurant is is made by a
>> machine. Ice is place into glasses via an ice scoop. While I
>> certainly believe too many people don't wash their hands, I
>> sincerely doubt they are grabbing ice with their bare hands to fill
>> glasses.

> At my hospital we have a McDonald's (yeah, I know...) and I've watched
> them load ice into the beverage dispenser by the bucket load. Some
> young guy climbs up and dumps huge buckets of it into the top of the
> dispenser.

(Sorry I didn't notice this was cross-posted to begin with.) Anyway, I
guess I wasn't thinking about restaurants with beverage dispensers. I never
worked in a restaurant that required ice to be poured into such a
contraption. But then, I've never worked at McDonald's.

As for the comment from someone on the other ng about ice machines can be
dirty, that's true. But the establishments where I worked completely
drained the ice machines and scrubbed them out at least once a month.
They'd alternate cleaning the machines in order to ensure there was plenty
of ice when the restaurant opened the next day.

Jill

"blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 20:21:48 -0500, Dave Smith
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>none wrote:
>>>

>>> Municipal water contains an irreducible small number of bacteria.
>>> Therefore, the water in the ice machine contains bacteria, but it stays
>>> in the ice machine long enough for the chlorine to evaporate, so the
>>> bacteria can begin to multiply.
>>> The water in the toilet is flushed often, so the chlorine doesn't have
>>> time to evaporate. The bacteria level stays fairly low.
>>> There are bacteria growing on your teeth RIGHT NOW.

>>I suppose that you mean that the chlorine sublimates, but it can only do
>>that if it is at the surface area of the ice, which is so cold that it is
>>not conducive for the bacteria to reproduce.
>>
>>The water in the flush reservoir tank has a large surface area for the
>>chlorine to escape. Best that you can hope is that the tank is flushed
>>often enough that there is a fairly downward flow of heavily chlorinated
>>water. I get my water from a well. It is not chlorinated except the odd
>>time that I toss some bleach into it. I don't see myself drinking from
>>the
>>toilet tank. I don't assume that it is automatically full of **** just
>>because it is attached to the toilet bowl, which sometimes is, but you'll
>>have a hard time convincing me that it is not unsafe to drink.

> could millions of dogs be wrong?
>
> your pal,
> blake

This could have something to do with the fact that their mouths are
practically sterile.
Dee Dee

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I don't understand this. Ice in a restaurant is is made by a
>> machine. Ice is place into glasses via an ice scoop. While I
>> certainly believe too many people don't wash their hands, I
>> sincerely doubt they are grabbing ice with their bare hands to fill
>> glasses.

> Sure, they could -- they might be using the glass itself as the scoop,
> for instance, dragging their dirty hand through the ice in the
> process.

If I had an employee in a restaurant (assuming I had a restaurant, which I
don't, but I've worked in a few) who was seen doing that they'd be out the
door, no excuses. If I *saw* an employee doing something like that I'd be
reporting them to the manager ASAP.

Jill

none wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>> Now THIS will make ya hurl, kids...:
>>>

>>> http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/health/677348,CST-NWS-ice02.article#
>>>
>>> Hold the ice: What's in your glass might surprise you
>>>
>>> COLD TRUTH | 'Someone's not washing their hands properly': 1 in 5
>>> samples from restaurants, bars found to have high levels of bacteria
>>>

>> I don't understand this. Ice in a restaurant is is made by a
>> machine. Ice is place into glasses via an ice scoop. While I
>> certainly believe too many people don't wash their hands, I
>> sincerely doubt they are grabbing ice with their bare hands to fill
>> glasses.
>>

> Municipal water contains an irreducible small number of bacteria.
> Therefore, the water in the ice machine contains bacteria, but it
> stays in the ice machine long enough for the chlorine to evaporate,
> so the bacteria can begin to multiply.

Yeah, but the article was about washing hands, not about municipal drinking
water. And if the restaurant is any kind of restaurant you'd want to
frequent, they regularly drain and scrub out the ice machines.

> The water in the toilet is flushed often, so the chlorine doesn't have
> time to evaporate. The bacteria level stays fairly low.

No one is using toilet water to make ice cubes... at least, no one I know!

> There are bacteria growing on your teeth RIGHT NOW.
>
> I added that last part just for fun...

That's why I brush mine 3-4 times a day :)

Jill

Dave Smith wrote:
> none wrote:
>>

>> Municipal water contains an irreducible small number of bacteria.
>> Therefore, the water in the ice machine contains bacteria, but it
>> stays in the ice machine long enough for the chlorine to evaporate,
>> so the bacteria can begin to multiply.
>> The water in the toilet is flushed often, so the chlorine doesn't
>> have time to evaporate. The bacteria level stays fairly low.
>> There are bacteria growing on your teeth RIGHT NOW.

> I suppose that you mean that the chlorine sublimates, but it can only
> do that if it is at the surface area of the ice, which is so cold
> that it is not conducive for the bacteria to reproduce.
>
> The water in the flush reservoir tank has a large surface area for the
> chlorine to escape. Best that you can hope is that the tank is
> flushed often enough that there is a fairly downward flow of heavily
> chlorinated water. I get my water from a well. It is not chlorinated
> except the odd time that I toss some bleach into it. I don't see
> myself drinking from the toilet tank. I don't assume that it is
> automatically full of **** just because it is attached to the toilet
> bowl, which sometimes is, but you'll have a hard time convincing me
> that it is not unsafe to drink.

Emergency preparedness plans often point to the fact that the water in the
toilet TANK (not the bowl heheh) is perfectly safe to drink if you have no
other source. It may not be a person's first choice, but it's an option :)

Jill

Dave Smith wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>>

>>> Municipal water contains an irreducible small number of bacteria.
>>> Therefore, the water in the ice machine contains bacteria, but it
>>> stays in the ice machine long enough for the chlorine to evaporate,
>>> so the bacteria can begin to multiply.
>>> The water in the toilet is flushed often, so the chlorine doesn't
>>> have time to evaporate. The bacteria level stays fairly low.
>>> There are bacteria growing on your teeth RIGHT NOW.
>>>
>>> I added that last part just for fun

>> Not all bacteria are hamful, in fact there are many we need to
>> live... the human body contains bacteria at all times, if it didn't
>> we'd be dead. That's one of the reasons that determine the type and
>> dosage of antibiotics prescribed by your doctor.

> That's true. That is why it is a good idea to eat some real yoghurt
> after a course of antibiotics. Keffir is even better for restoring
> that bacteria garden in your guts. Never the less, you won't catch
> me drinking water from the toilet tank. You are more likely to get
> bad bacteria than good from it.

Acidophilus milk (aka "sweet acidipholus") accomplishes the same thing as
yoghurt. I can't stand yoghurt :)

Jill

In article <kenji-9A7384.10020703122007@localhost>,
kenji <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article
> <f59c43ba-8d63-4dde-a987-1089f407b542@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 2, 11:46?pm, Gregory Morrow <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Yer just a fragile pansy - ass, Steve...we've got *rats* bigger than
> > > those wussy jackalopes you have down in Tejas...

> > .
> > NY rats carry switchblades and steal yer cheese.

> CHI rats own the cheese distribution, create small LLC's and funnel the
> overcharging of cheese sales to trusted friends and relatives.

<golf clap>

..max

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome

Sheldon wrote:
> On Dec 3, 11:40?am, Cydrome Leader <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I don't understand this. ?Ice in a restaurant is is made by a
>>> machine. ?Ice is place into glasses via an ice scoop. ?While I
>>> certainly believe too many people don't wash their hands, I
>>> sincerely doubt they are grabbing ice with their bare hands to fill
>>> glasses.

>> concept 1
>>
>> ice machines are inherently filthy.

> Then what do folks do about the through the door chilled water and ice
> maker on their home fridge.

Good point. I've never heard of anyone disassembling their fridge
dispensers to give them a thorough cleaning. I fact, I doubt they *could*
even if they wanted to.

> I've never seen beverage glasses at fast food restaurants, they all
> use paper disposables and they all have ice "dispensers"... in fact
> most restaurants of all types nowadays use ice dispensers for drinks,
> even booze bars. The most dangerous thing a bartender can do is to
> scoop ice with the beverage glass, not germs, a bit of glass can chip
> off... in fact a bar tender scooping ice with a glass is grounds for
> instant dismissal... and most professional kitchens do not permit
> glass in any form... it's only on foodtv where you see cutesy glass
> items... many kitchens do not permit wine bottles.

I've never worked in a fast food joint. But yes, there were racks of
glasses by the ice machine in the kitchen and also (obviously) at the bar.
And there were metal *ice scoops* in the ice machine bins. Maybe we were
just a lot smarter than the average bear back then ;) It wouldn't have
occurred to me (nor did I ever see a co-worker do so) to scoop ice using the
glass itself.

Jill