Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Is Ultegra for big Guys?

Started by big Pete · · Last activity · 25 posts · 1,431 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 August 2004
Last activity
12 August 2004
Original author
big Pete
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,431
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    One of my friends said that the Ultegra group does not have the tank like qualities I will need from the components, and recommended me getting 105s instead. This sounded like bull to me but I was wondering what you experiences were. I am 245 pounds and more often than not I like to push the bigger gears.

    Pete

  2. big Pete said:

    One of my friends said that the Ultegra group does not have the tank
    like qualities I will need from the components, and recommended me
    getting 105s instead. This sounded like bull to me but I was wondering
    what you experiences were. I am 245 pounds and more often than not I
    like to push the bigger gears.

    As you suspected, this is all unadulterated bovine excrement.

    When heavier riders have equipment problems, it is generally the wheels=20
    that are at issue, bent rims, broken spokes and the like. None of the=20
    parts that make up an Ultegra group have any relevance to this.

    I am also not aware of any greater durability/strength to any 105 part=20
    compared to the corresponding Ultegra bit.

    Sheldon "Tell Me Another One!" Brown
    +---------------------------------------------+
    | If your bike has drop handlebars, but you |
    | rarely or never ride on the drops, it=92s a |
    | sure sign that your bike is not properly |
    | fitted or is not properly adjusted! |
    | See: http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup |
    +---------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. "big Pete" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Hi all,

    One of my friends said that the Ultegra group does not have the tank
    like qualities I will need from the components, and recommended me
    getting 105s instead. This sounded like bull to me but I was wondering
    what you experiences were. I am 245 pounds and more often than not I
    like to push the bigger gears.

    Pete

    I am a big guy and ride Ultegra. I never have had a problem with
    components. Wheels/spokes are another matter.

  4. big Pete said:

    Hi all,

    One of my friends said that the Ultegra group does not have the tank
    like qualities I will need from the components, and recommended me
    getting 105s instead. This sounded like bull to me but I was wondering
    what you experiences were. I am 245 pounds and more often than not I
    like to push the bigger gears.

    Husband of cow ;-)

  5. big Pete <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    One of my friends said that the Ultegra group does not have the tank
    like qualities I will need from the components, and recommended me
    getting 105s instead. This sounded like bull to me but I was wondering
    what you experiences were. I am 245 pounds and more often than not I
    like to push the bigger gears.

    Pete

    Pete,

    I'm near the same weight and have been pushing the [censored] outta my
    Ultegra group for the last two-years without any problems. The Ultegra
    set is solid, go for it!!!
    Scott

  6. big Pete said:

    One of my friends said that the Ultegra group does not have the tank
    like qualities I will need from the components, and recommended me
    getting 105s instead. This sounded like bull to me but I was wondering
    what you experiences were. I am 245 pounds and more often than not I
    like to push the bigger gears.

    Considering many, many tandems come equipped with Ultegra components,
    and work well for many years - I wouldn't recommend worrying too much
    about your friend's opinions on bike gear.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  7. "Bonehenge" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    RWM said:

    I am a big guy and ride Ultegra. I never have had a problem with
    components. Wheels/spokes are another matter.

    Same here.

    I build my own wheels with Ultegra hubs, Open Pro rims, double butted
    spokes, and brass nipples. 32 spokes in the front and 36 in the rear.

    Barry

    I participated in a thread in the spring about this subject. I went your
    route last year with almost zero success. I got frustrated and took the
    advice to try a Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear wheel and have had zero problems.
    I am glad that your wheels have worked out for you.

  8. big-<< One of my friends said that the Ultegra group does not have the tank
    like qualities I will need from the components, and recommended me
    getting 105s instead. This sounded like bull to me but I was wondering
    what you experiences were. I am 245 pounds and more often than not I
    like to push the bigger gears. >><BR><BR>

    It is bull.

    Just be advised that ultegra is being changed to 10s in 2005, and parts of your
    drivetrain 'may' become obsolete.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  9. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    It is bull.

    All of this makes me wonder though. Is the light weight high end
    stuff from Campy and Shimano as strong and durable as their heavier
    low end stuff? If money was no object, would you put Record
    deraileurs/brifters on a touring bike (assuming you wanted brifters
    on a touring bike)?

  10. "Bill Davidson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:BcBQc.8777$Uh.3548@fed1read02...

    Quoted message said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    It is bull.

    All of this makes me wonder though. Is the light weight high end
    stuff from Campy and Shimano as strong and durable as their heavier
    low end stuff? If money was no object, would you put Record
    deraileurs/brifters on a touring bike (assuming you wanted brifters
    on a touring bike)?

    I think the "high-end" stuff from C&S are strong. However, putting Record
    der/ERGO shifters on a touring bike may not be a wise thing to do if you
    need more than a 29t in the rear.

    Then again, I'm running a mix of C&S - Chorus 9 short cage rear der, Record
    9 ERGO shifters, DA 9 hub, Ultegra 9 12-27 cassette and Shimano or Sram 9
    chain and have no problem.

    If I sub out the short cage for a long cage rear der, I should be able to
    run a Shimano XT/mt type cassette, i.e., 13x32/34 for wider gearing.

  11. bfd said:

    "Bill Davidson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:BcBQc.8777$Uh.3548@fed1read02...

    Quoted message said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    It is bull.

    All of this makes me wonder though. Is the light weight high end
    stuff from Campy and Shimano as strong and durable as their heavier
    low end stuff? If money was no object, would you put Record
    deraileurs/brifters on a touring bike (assuming you wanted brifters
    on a touring bike)?

    I think the "high-end" stuff from C&S are strong. However, putting Record
    der/ERGO shifters on a touring bike may not be a wise thing to do if you
    need more than a 29t in the rear.

    Then again, I'm running a mix of C&S - Chorus 9 short cage rear der, Record
    9 ERGO shifters, DA 9 hub, Ultegra 9 12-27 cassette and Shimano or Sram 9
    chain and have no problem.

    If I sub out the short cage for a long cage rear der, I should be able to
    run a Shimano XT/mt type cassette, i.e., 13x32/34 for wider gearing.

    i run a 9sp campag record brifter and a long-cage centaur r/d on my touring
    bike w/ a 13/28 veloce cassette (i have run an 11/32 shimano cassette as
    well -- worked ok minor but not trivial shifting problems aside). campag
    stuff holds up just fine touring, ime. i'm certainly giving up finding spare
    parts at any bike ship, tho.

    ahh, well.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  12. bfd said:

    I think the "high-end" stuff from C&S are strong. However, putting Record
    der/ERGO shifters on a touring bike may not be a wise thing to do if you
    need more than a 29t in the rear.

    I'm told that the 29t is conservative and a number of people have
    used 32t rear cogs with it with no problem.

  13. Bill-<< All of this makes me wonder though. Is the light weight high end
    stuff from Campy and Shimano as strong and durable as their heavier
    low end stuff? >><BR><BR>

    Campagnolo gets lighter with carbon and ti. shimano gets lighter with design.
    BUT all groups from either will work for anybody, from light to heavy, in terms
    of weight and style.

    Bill<< If money was no object, would you put Record
    deraileurs/brifters on a touring bike (assuming you wanted brifters
    on a touring bike)? >><BR><BR>

    If money were no object and I was touring unassisted and loaded. I'd go for the
    most reliable and easily accessible stuff. Friction barends, 9s cogsets, etc.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  14. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    If money were no object and I was touring unassisted and loaded. I'd go for the
    most reliable and easily accessible stuff. Friction barends, 9s cogsets, etc.

    bahh .. don't deprive yourself of your brifters* -- just carry a spare set of
    downtube shifters for if they break. best of both worlds.

    * well, for those of us addicted to brifters. i can't imagine riding cross
    country with friction bar-ends .. if you actually like bar-end shifters
    that's another matter.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email hidden]

  15. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    If money were no object and I was touring unassisted and loaded. I'd go for the
    most reliable and easily accessible stuff. Friction barends, 9s cogsets, etc.

    So you're saying that brifters are not reliable enough for touring
    regardless of what level in either product line they are?

  16. Bill Davidson <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<c3EQc.9966$Uh.4366@fed1read02>...

    Quoted message said:
    bfd said:

    I think the "high-end" stuff from C&S are strong. However, putting Record
    der/ERGO shifters on a touring bike may not be a wise thing to do if you
    need more than a 29t in the rear.

    I'm told that the 29t is conservative and a number of people have
    used 32t rear cogs with it with no problem.

    I think he was talking about official Campagnolo cassette cogs, not
    whether a Campagnolo rear derailleur will handle a larger Shimano cog
    such as 32 or 34. But Campagnolo only makes the 29 tooth cog in 10
    speed. Biggest 9 speed Campagnolo cog is 28 teeth. Or the QBP 28
    tooth cog if you are running loose cogs with 9 speed.

    I personally don't think I would want to go with a 10 speed touring
    bike. It just seems a bit too finicky. Maybe not but it seems so.

    With a 28 tooth cog as the big one in the rear, and a 24 tooth inner
    chainring with a 74mm bcd crankset, you have a low gear of 23 gear
    inches. Probably low enough for anything. I am running a 20 tooth
    inner chainring, so my low would be 19 gear inches. Undoubtedly low
    enough for anything. But I am using a 7 speed Shimano with a 34 rear
    cog, so my low is 16 gear inches. Probably too low. Ha.

  17. Russell Seaton said:

    I personally don't think I would want to go with a 10 speed touring
    bike. It just seems a bit too finicky. Maybe not but it seems so.

    What's to keep you from using a 9 speed Shimano cassette/hub (say
    XT, 11-32) with Campy 9/10 speed brifters and a long cage Campy
    deraileur?

  18. Bill-<< So you're saying that brifters are not reliable enough for touring
    regardless of what level in either product line they are? >><BR><BR>

    I'm saying that barend shifters, with a firction option are a 'better' way to
    go in my opinion. Particularly for unsupported touring. Bike falls over, breaks
    a STI or ERGO, may be tough to get it fixed.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  19. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    Bill-<< So you're saying that brifters are not reliable enough for touring
    regardless of what level in either product line they are? >><BR><BR>

    I'm saying that barend shifters, with a firction option are a 'better' way to
    go in my opinion. Particularly for unsupported touring. Bike falls over, breaks
    a STI or ERGO, may be tough to get it fixed.

    As if derailleurs were the only option...!

    A Rohloff Speedhub is less vulnerable than a derailleur,
    and its control is so simple there isn't much to break
    (there's neither friction nor detents in the twist grip).

    Tom Ace

  20. Tom Ace said:

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    =20

    Quoted message said:

    Bill-<< So you're saying that brifters are not reliable enough for=20
    touring
    regardless of what level in either product line they are? >><BR><BR>

    I'm saying that barend shifters, with a firction option are a 'better'=


    =20

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    way to
    go in my opinion. Particularly for unsupported touring. Bike falls=20
    over, breaks a STI or ERGO, may be tough to get it fixed.=20


    =20


    I can't imagine that bar end shifters are less likely to be damaged when =

    a bike falls over than brifters are.

    Quoted message said:

    =20
    As if derailleurs were the only option...!
    =20
    A Rohloff Speedhub is less vulnerable than a derailleur,
    and its control is so simple there isn't much to break
    (there's neither friction nor detents in the twist grip).

    Excellent point! I haven't yet toured on my new Thorn Raven, but that's =

    the bike I'd choose from my stable for a major tour.

    http://sheldonbrown.org/thorn

    Sheldon "Epicyclic" Brown
    +------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Tour on popular routes like the Oregon Coast you will see |
    | just about anything with two wheels out there, with any |
    | amount of luggage strapped on in any conceivable way. |
    | Everyone seems to be having a good time doing it. |
    | However, certain choices will reduce breakdowns, and |
    | make the trip less a project of transporting equipment, |
    | and more one of enjoying the scenery and cultures. |
    | --Eric Salath=E9 |
    +------------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.