Road Cycling · Public discussion

Is Voeckler going to be the

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 17 posts · 602 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 July 2004
Last activity
21 July 2004
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
602
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. French Henman from now on ?

    Poor kid.

  2. Do you remember a skinny French kid who was in yellow for just one day back
    in 1992 that seems to have done OK for himself?

  3. Actually, I was thinking that Voeckler is looking like this year's
    incarnation of Pascal Lino or Francois Simon. You know, someone who
    realistically can't place much better than 15th or so being spotted 10 - 15
    minutes (or more) in an early breakaway that catapults him into yellow. He
    has enough of a lead to hold onto it and still finish in the top 10 in
    Paris.

    My gut says Voeckler finishes this TdF somewhere between 6th and 8th, never
    to place this highly again. He might pull one or two more top 15's but I
    just don't see him doing better than he did this year. I guarantee you that
    he'll never be spotted 12 minutes during the first week of a TdF ever again.

    Jim Burlant

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    French Henman from now on ?

    Poor kid.

  4. "Jim Burlant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:u6IKc.26840$SD3.8515@okepread06...

    Quoted message said:

    Actually, I was thinking that Voeckler is looking like this year's
    incarnation of Pascal Lino or Francois Simon. You know, someone who
    realistically can't place much better than 15th or so being spotted 10 -


    15

    Quoted message said:

    minutes (or more) in an early breakaway that catapults him into yellow. He
    has enough of a lead to hold onto it and still finish in the top 10 in
    Paris.


    That's exactly who I thought of, but Voeckler's a bit better IMO.

    Quoted message said:

    My gut says Voeckler finishes this TdF somewhere between 6th and 8th,


    never

    Quoted message said:

    to place this highly again. He might pull one or two more top 15's but I
    just don't see him doing better than he did this year. I guarantee you


    that

    Quoted message said:

    he'll never be spotted 12 minutes during the first week of a TdF ever


    again.

    Quoted message said:


    Given that he finished 3.28.18 behind last year, I think he's done pretty
    well this time around, and hopefully he hasn't reached the top of the
    learning curve. All things equal, which they aren't because of the yellow
    jersey :-), without that 12'33 "bonus" he'd be 17th at the moment, just
    behind Moreau. Not bad, considering his youth. I guess time will tell.

    Jeff

  5. "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jim Burlant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:u6IKc.26840$SD3.8515@okepread06...

    Quoted message said:

    Actually, I was thinking that Voeckler is looking like this year's
    incarnation of Pascal Lino or Francois Simon. You know, someone who
    realistically can't place much better than 15th or so being spotted 10 -


    15

    Quoted message said:

    minutes (or more) in an early breakaway that catapults him into yellow. He
    has enough of a lead to hold onto it and still finish in the top 10 in
    Paris.


    That's exactly who I thought of, but Voeckler's a bit better IMO.

    Quoted message said:

    My gut says Voeckler finishes this TdF somewhere between 6th and 8th,


    never

    Quoted message said:

    to place this highly again. He might pull one or two more top 15's but I
    just don't see him doing better than he did this year. I guarantee you


    that

    Quoted message said:

    he'll never be spotted 12 minutes during the first week of a TdF ever


    again.

    Quoted message said:


    Given that he finished 3.28.18 behind last year, I think he's done pretty
    well this time around, and hopefully he hasn't reached the top of the
    learning curve. All things equal, which they aren't because of the yellow
    jersey :-), without that 12'33 "bonus" he'd be 17th at the moment, just
    behind Moreau. Not bad, considering his youth. I guess time will tell.

    Jeff

    No doubt in my mind that young Thomas Voeckler has had a taste of life
    at the top and has risen to his full potential (for this year.)
    Whether he slacks off after this, through sloth and excess or the
    belief (after being drummed hard by competitors for a couple years)
    that he'll never be as good again, takes root we can only speculate.

    He's certainly a good poster boy for the TdF in a country that has
    needed one for a long time, but also he's a good face for the Tour
    internationally as well.

  6. "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do you remember a skinny French kid who was in yellow for just one day


    back

    Quoted message said:

    in 1992 that seems to have done OK for himself?

    Virenque has always been a climber. I don't see any parallels between him
    and Voeckler. Voeckler is more like Barteaux ('84), Lino ('92), Vasseur
    ('97) and Simon ('01) all of who (are French and) carried the yellow jersey
    in to (if not out of) the mountains longer then they were expected to.

  7. Chris said:

    "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do you remember a skinny French kid who was in yellow for just one day


    back

    Quoted message said:

    in 1992 that seems to have done OK for himself?

    Quoted message said:

    Virenque has always been a climber. I don't see any parallels between him
    and Voeckler. Voeckler is more like Barteaux ('84), Lino ('92), Vasseur
    ('97) and Simon ('01) all of who (are French and) carried the yellow jersey
    in to (if not out of) the mountains longer then they were expected to.

    Speaking of Voeckler, his climbing style has to be one of the oddest,
    seemingly inefficient versions to manage to keep respectable. Any chances
    somebody's going to take him indoors this winter and work on this? I
    swear he'd gain minutes by simply keeping his [censored] in line and not weaving
    all over the road. He kinda reminds me of me, when I was young and you put
    the tape on fast forward, then I wake up...

  8. Too many people are forgetting he's reigning French pro road champion.
    That shows quite a bit of class.

    JT

  9. "Chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do you remember a skinny French kid who was in yellow for just one day


    back

    Quoted message said:

    in 1992 that seems to have done OK for himself?

    Virenque has always been a climber. I don't see any parallels between him
    and Voeckler. Voeckler is more like Barteaux ('84), Lino ('92), Vasseur
    ('97) and Simon ('01) all of who (are French and) carried the yellow


    jersey

    Quoted message said:

    in to (if not out of) the mountains longer then they were expected to.

    The difference is that Voekler is just 25 and has at least a decade ahead of
    him to learn his craft.

  10. "Clovis Lark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Chris said:

    "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do you remember a skinny French kid who was in yellow for just one day


    back

    Quoted message said:

    in 1992 that seems to have done OK for himself?

    Quoted message said:

    Virenque has always been a climber. I don't see any parallels between


    him

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and Voeckler. Voeckler is more like Barteaux ('84), Lino ('92), Vasseur
    ('97) and Simon ('01) all of who (are French and) carried the yellow


    jersey

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in to (if not out of) the mountains longer then they were expected to.

    Speaking of Voeckler, his climbing style has to be one of the oddest,
    seemingly inefficient versions to manage to keep respectable. Any chances
    somebody's going to take him indoors this winter and work on this? I
    swear he'd gain minutes by simply keeping his [censored] in line and not weaving
    all over the road. He kinda reminds me of me, when I was young and you put
    the tape on fast forward, then I wake up...

    I'm convinced that he isn't THAT ugly.

  11. "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jim Burlant" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:u6IKc.26840$SD3.8515@okepread06...

    Quoted message said:

    Actually, I was thinking that Voeckler is looking like this year's
    incarnation of Pascal Lino


    That's exactly who I thought of, but Voeckler's a bit better IMO.

    He reminds me of Lino as well. But I think that he is showing a lot more
    guts than Pascal did. Not that Lino did badly, but Voeckler is a battler.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My gut says Voeckler finishes this TdF somewhere between 6th and 8th,
    never to place this highly again.

    Given that he finished 3.28.18 behind last year, I think he's done pretty
    well this time around, and hopefully he hasn't reached the top of the
    learning curve. All things equal, which they aren't because of the yellow
    jersey :-), without that 12'33 "bonus" he'd be 17th at the moment, just
    behind Moreau. Not bad, considering his youth. I guess time will tell.

    I agree with you and hope to see a lot more of Voeckler. Besides the French
    really do need another champion.

  12. Quoted message said:

    From: "Tom Kunich" [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with you and hope to see a lot more of Voeckler. Besides the French
    really do need another champion.

    Tom
    With Voekler, Cunego, Basso, Boonen etc.. coming up and showing well I feel
    really good about the future of racing. I still think that we will have a few
    solid Europros fronm the US in the next few years.
    I was only half kidding when I suggested YMC as Carmichaels next project.
    Bill C

  13. Clovis Lark <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Chris said:

    "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do you remember a skinny French kid who was in yellow for just one day


    back

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in 1992 that seems to have done OK for himself?

    Quoted message said:

    Virenque has always been a climber. I don't see any parallels between him
    and Voeckler. Voeckler is more like Barteaux ('84), Lino ('92), Vasseur
    ('97) and Simon ('01) all of who (are French and) carried the yellow jersey
    in to (if not out of) the mountains longer then they were expected to.

    Speaking of Voeckler, his climbing style has to be one of the oddest,
    seemingly inefficient versions to manage to keep respectable. Any chances
    somebody's going to take him indoors this winter and work on this? I
    swear he'd gain minutes by simply keeping his [censored] in line and not weaving
    all over the road. He kinda reminds me of me, when I was young and you put
    the tape on fast forward, then I wake up...

    From : http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/jun99/jun2.shtml

    Paris - Roubaix espoirs, Under-23, May 30, 186.3 kms:

    1. Sébastien Joly (Fra) Vendée-U 4.36.39
    2. Stéphane Krafft (Fra) France 0.24
    3. Andreas Wilfurth (Ger) Germany 0.24
    4. Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Vendée-U 0.24
    5. Freddy Ravaleu (Fra) Jean-Floc'h-Mantes 0.24
    6. Tom Boonen (Fra) Groeninge 0.35
    7. David Derepas (Fra) France 0.48
    8. Fabrice Salanson (Fra) Vendée-U 0.54
    9. Gorik Gardeyn (Fra) Groeninge 1.00
    10. Kirk O'Bee (USA) Ikon-Wheelers 1.00

  14. Tom Kunich said:

    "Clovis Lark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Chris said:

    "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Do you remember a skinny French kid who was in yellow for just one day
    back
    > in 1992 that seems to have done OK for himself?

    Quoted message said:

    Virenque has always been a climber. I don't see any parallels between


    him

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and Voeckler. Voeckler is more like Barteaux ('84), Lino ('92), Vasseur
    ('97) and Simon ('01) all of who (are French and) carried the yellow


    jersey

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in to (if not out of) the mountains longer then they were expected to.

    Speaking of Voeckler, his climbing style has to be one of the oddest,
    seemingly inefficient versions to manage to keep respectable. Any chances
    somebody's going to take him indoors this winter and work on this? I
    swear he'd gain minutes by simply keeping his [censored] in line and not weaving
    all over the road. He kinda reminds me of me, when I was young and you put
    the tape on fast forward, then I wake up...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm convinced that he isn't THAT ugly.

    See, Tom. Even your humo(u)r is spiteful...

  15. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    Too many people are forgetting he's reigning French pro road champion.
    That shows quite a bit of class.

    I agree, but will he get remade into an all-arounder in the next couple
    years? He clearly has the grit.

    Quoted message said:

    JT

  16. "Clovis Lark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Kunich said:

    "Clovis Lark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Speaking of Voeckler, his climbing style has to be one of the oddest,
    seemingly inefficient versions to manage to keep respectable. Any


    chances

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    somebody's going to take him indoors this winter and work on this? I
    swear he'd gain minutes by simply keeping his [censored] in line and not


    weaving

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    all over the road. He kinda reminds me of me, when I was young and you


    put

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the tape on fast forward, then I wake up...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm convinced that he isn't THAT ugly.

    See, Tom. Even your humo(u)r is spiteful...

    That's what comes from growing up in Oakland. If you think I have it bad you
    just ought to check out Bob Roll.

  17. Tom Kunich said:

    "Clovis Lark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Kunich said:

    "Clovis Lark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Speaking of Voeckler, his climbing style has to be one of the oddest,
    > seemingly inefficient versions to manage to keep respectable. Any


    chances

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > somebody's going to take him indoors this winter and work on this? I
    > swear he'd gain minutes by simply keeping his [censored] in line and not


    weaving

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > all over the road. He kinda reminds me of me, when I was young and you


    put

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > the tape on fast forward, then I wake up...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm convinced that he isn't THAT ugly.

    See, Tom. Even your humo(u)r is spiteful...

    Quoted message said:

    That's what comes from growing up in Oakland. If you think I have it bad you
    just ought to check out Bob Roll.

    Now you're FUNNY...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.