General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=E4germeister?=

Started by zxcvbob · · Last activity · 19 posts · 198 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 August 2007
Last activity
25 August 2007
Original author
zxcvbob
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
198
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
    bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
    the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.

    The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
    freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
    freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
    the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]

    Bob

  2. zxcvbob said:

    Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
    bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
    the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.

    The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
    freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
    freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
    the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]

    Bob

    After the first three or so, it doesn't matter. It's friggin' cough
    syrup, anyway.

  3. "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
    bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about the
    same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.

    The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep freezer.
    Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the freezer? I've
    been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but the licorice and
    cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]

    Bob

    IMO, it's akin to cough syrup, something you drink in the winter when you're
    feeling chilly. It tastes like Vicks Formula 44, and I've never gotten a
    buzz from it.
    I've been to bars where they have a Jagermeister freezer thingy that
    dispenses icy-cold shots of the stuff.

  4. zxcvbob said:

    Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
    bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
    the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.

    The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
    freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
    freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
    the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]

    Bob

    While on a training deployment with my disaster response team we all hit
    this bar up one night. I was introduced to "Jagerbombs" there. A shot
    of Jagermeister dropped (jigger and all!) down into a cup half full of
    Red Bull and then chugged down. What a hoot... a bunch of grown,
    professional adults tossing those things back as if we were back in
    college again. Ah.. fond memories...

  5. deja.blues said:

    IMO, it's akin to cough syrup, something you drink in the winter when you're
    feeling chilly. It tastes like Vicks Formula 44, and I've never gotten a
    buzz from it.
    I've been to bars where they have a Jagermeister freezer thingy that
    dispenses icy-cold shots of the stuff.

    It seems aver bar in every college town has one of those
    Jaegermeister carousels, often mixed with some sort of super
    caffeinated drink like Red Bull.

    -sw

  6. Goomba38 said:
    zxcvbob said:

    Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
    bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
    the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.

    The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
    freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
    freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first,
    but the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]

    Bob

    While on a training deployment with my disaster response team we all hit
    this bar up one night. I was introduced to "Jagerbombs" there. A shot
    of Jagermeister dropped (jigger and all!) down into a cup half full of
    Red Bull and then chugged down. What a hoot... a bunch of grown,
    professional adults tossing those things back as if we were back in
    college again. Ah.. fond memories...

    I was in a similar situation. The drink of favor was an "Irish Car Bomb"

    http://www.cocktail.com/recipes/i/IrishCarBomb.htm

  7. zxcvbob said:

    Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
    bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
    the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.

    The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
    freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
    freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
    the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you... [hic]

    Bob

    We keep it in the fridge. I'm not a fan, but I think it's an acquired
    taste.

    --
    Queenie

    *** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***

  8. MayQueen said:

    We keep it in the fridge. I'm not a fan, but I think it's an acquired
    taste.

    Yeah, acquired after you're already plastered.

    -sw

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    zxcvbob said:

    Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet.

    Actually, this stuff became very popular with the college kids and
    underage drinkers. Not sure why. Maybe it's because the stuff is
    super-sweet, so it disappears into mixed drinks made with Coke, etc.

    For all I know, this information may be out of date. Drink fads come
    and go.

    I was introduced to Jagermeister years ago, by a friend from Denmark.
    He recommended it to me as a "digestif" - drunk neat to calm a queasy
    stomach, or to help digest a big meal.

    --
    Julian Vrieslander

  10. Julian Vrieslander said:

    I was introduced to Jagermeister years ago, by a friend from Denmark.
    He recommended it to me as a "digestif" - drunk neat to calm a queasy
    stomach, or to help digest a big meal.


    That is how I always saw it when I lived in Germany. It even came in
    small bottles perfect for single servings after dinner.
    I thought it quite disgusting at the time. I did enjoy Kummel from
    Denmark served cold before dinner or Apfelkorn served in small cold
    shots after dinner at times.

  11. Steve Wertz said:


    MayQueen said:

    We keep it in the fridge. I'm not a fan, but I think it's an acquired
    taste.

    Yeah, acquired after you're already plastered.

    It is shots for wimps, the guys who need their liquor to be sweet and
    flavoured because they want to knock back shots but can't handle liquor.

  12. "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there ,,, It's pretty bad
    at first, but the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you...
    [hic]

    Bob

    I'm getting to be an old man and I remember the taste of an overnight
    laxative my grandma gave me when I was five. It was called "Castoria" --
    dark, alcohol-rich and the flavor was just like Jager. Someone here
    described it as licorice and cabbage. Very close.

    Ken K

  13. zxcvbob said:

    Must be an "old man" drink

    It's a drink for people who don't like real booze.

    --Blair

  14. On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:10:56 -0400, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Julian Vrieslander said:

    I was introduced to Jagermeister years ago, by a friend from Denmark.
    He recommended it to me as a "digestif" - drunk neat to calm a queasy
    stomach, or to help digest a big meal.


    That is how I always saw it when I lived in Germany. It even came in
    small bottles perfect for single servings after dinner.
    I thought it quite disgusting at the time. I did enjoy Kummel from
    Denmark served cold before dinner or Apfelkorn served in small cold
    shots after dinner at times.

    chilled peppermint schnapps is pretty nice. (only dekuyper's - the
    rest are pretty gruesome.)

    your pal,
    blake

  15. zxcvbob said:

    Must be an "old man" drink, and I'm not quite there yet. Actually, I
    bought Philip's "Black 100" instead because it was on sale; it's about
    the same thing as Jaegermeister but a lot higher proof.

    The bottle is in the deep freezer. The shotglass is in the deep
    freezer. Are you supposed to "shoot" the stuff, like vodka from the
    freezer? I've been sipping it, ice cold. It's pretty bad at first, but
    the licorice and cabbage taste kind of grows on you...

    Jægertini

    1/2 ounce Jagermeister, from the freezer
    3 ounces gin, cold
    ???

    I can't figure out what to use for a garnish. An olive or a pickled
    onion doesn't seem quite right... [hic]

    Maybe a sweet gherkin... Or a Rootbeer Barrel candy....

    Bob

  16. zxcvbob said:

    I can't figure out what to use for a garnish. An olive or a pickled
    onion doesn't seem quite right... [hic]

    Maybe a sweet gherkin... Or a Rootbeer Barrel candy....

    Elk turd?

  17. zxcvbob said:

    Jægertini

    1/2 ounce Jagermeister, from the freezer
    3 ounces gin, cold
    ???

    I can't figure out what to use for a garnish. An olive or a pickled onion
    doesn't seem quite right... [hic]

    Maybe a sweet gherkin... Or a Rootbeer Barrel candy....

    A disk of galangal. Or maybe a canned mandarin orange segment. Around the
    holidays, a cube of fruitcake.

    Bob, shuddering

  18. zxcvbob said:

    Jægertini

    1/2 ounce Jagermeister, from the freezer
    3 ounces gin, cold
    ???

    I can't figure out what to use for a garnish.

    A toilet would go well with that.

    -sw

  19. notbob said:
    zxcvbob said:

    I can't figure out what to use for a garnish. An olive or a pickled
    onion doesn't seem quite right... [hic]

    Maybe a sweet gherkin... Or a Rootbeer Barrel candy....

    Elk turd?

    Those are harder to find around here than you might think.

    The drink actually wasn't bad. The gin cuts the sweetness of the Jager,
    and the Jager takes some of the edge off the gin. It was better than
    that time I mixed sweet vermouth in my gin instead of dry (now that was
    nasty.)

    Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.