It´s not about the bike , stupid !

el Ingles

Oct 3, 2003
Sorry to plagiarize L.A. but .....

A member of our club ( union ciclista benidorm ) has just won the Alicante provincial cyclocross championship .
On an old Marin frame with 26 inch wheels , straight bars , XT thumb shifters, and a Shimano 600 rear mech .

.............. felicidades José ............................

he raced the same bike in the nationals last year , one in the eye for the tech freaks ain´t it . :p

Originally posted by el Inglés
he raced the same bike in the nationals last year , one in the eye for the tech freaks ain´t it . :p
Not really. I'm still going to spend too much of my income on bits and pieces for my bike, even though I'm not going to doubt for one second that a better cyclist on a more modest rig couldn't kick my a*s anyways.

Doesn't change that neater stuff makes the sport exciting for me, makes me feel faster, makes me like my rig more, and makes me ride more.

;)

And who's to say that pre-uprgade lokstah isn't a sliver of a bit slower than post-upgrade lokstah? Absolutely no one!

Sorry to plagiarize L.A. but .....

A member of our club ( union ciclista benidorm ) has just won the Alicante provincial cyclocross championship .
On an old Marin frame with 26 inch wheels , straight bars , XT thumb shifters, and a Shimano 600 rear mech .

.............. felicidades José ............................

Heh... Although I completely agree that its not really about the bike. One could almost certainly always tack on the little tiny font disclaimer on the end of that "but it doesn't hurt to be on a world class bike"

I believe that someone mentally and physically prepared to win a cycling event will win despite their equipment (within reason) and its understandably humourous when the person who uses that phrase is riding on beautifully designed and maintained equipment :) L.A. doesn't really have much of a choice in that area though...

I salute your club mate! His performance only further confirms the truth of the statement...

But part of the cycling experience is.... to experience a nice quality ride from a good bike, albeit if you can afford one.

There are times when you just want to go out there and enjoy a nice long ride, in beautiful weather and scenery.....it's not always about huffing and puffing really fast to beat your buddy to the finish line.

/\
zzzzzzzzzzz
:rolleyes:

lol el ingles did you really expect anyone to agree with you on this board? it's not about skill here dude. it's about shaving your legs and riding a pinarello.

congrats to your man though. but i have a question: is that set-up legal for cyclocross? sounds more like an xc bike. or is it just run-what-you-brung. i'm curious to know

Originally posted by eddiebrannan
lol el ingles did you really expect anyone to agree with you on this board? it's not about skill here dude. it's about shaving your legs and riding a pinarello.

congrats to your man though. but i have a question: is that set-up legal for cyclocross? sounds more like an xc bike. or is it just run-what-you-brung. i'm curious to know
I'm not sure exactly what the rules are myself, but I'm pretty sure that rigs which are essentially hardtails are generally allowed. There must be some regulations about geometry, and maybe something about suspension -- but I think flatbars are allowed.

I know I've seen pictures of guys on flatbars in 'cross races, at least. Oh, and my legs are hairy, BTW.

;)

yeah HTs i would guess are compulsory, and i guess rigid forks have to be part of it too.

ps glad to hear it lockstah ;)

As far as I know as long as the wheels are both the same size and not too small ( ie no Moltons ) and there are no bar end / climbing aids added to the straight bar its legal , same as a mountain bike in a time trial on slick tyres .

A Happy Christmas to you all .

ps just seen José ( he´s a full time cop with the Cuerpo National ) drooling over a cyclocross frame in the catalogue so things may change , watch this space .............

ps just seen José ( he´s a full time cop with the Cuerpo National ) drooling over a cyclocross frame in the catalogue so things may change , watch this space .............
LOL, funny. Happy Holidays, riders.