General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

IT Band syndrome

Started by Jennifer · · Last activity · 14 posts · 1,242 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 September 2003
Last activity
14 September 2003
Original author
Jennifer
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,242
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point where I
    can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between each
    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end of july. Has anyone else
    dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be helpful!

  2. Jennifer,

    Can you run 4 miles without ITBS pain? If you have any pains on these 4 mile runs you need to stop
    running for a week or 2 and then try to run again. You can't just 'run through' ITBS. It will only
    get worse.

    Are you stretching? Do lots of very gentle stretches everyday, especially after running. You still
    have plenty of time to recover from this before a June 1/2 marathon.

    Good luck, Jim

    "Jennifer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point where
    I can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between


    each

    Quoted message said:

    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end


    of

    Quoted message said:

    july. Has anyone else dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be
    helpful!

  3. Jennifer said:


    Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point where
    I can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between each
    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end of july. Has anyone else
    dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be helpful!

    If you have IT band problems, don't even try to run through it. The frustration that will cause will
    be far worse than what you're feeling now. I haven't been able to run properly since the end of
    December (did a 10k) because of this. I tried gently running through it, but didn't get anyway -
    last time I ran was 5 weeks ago, and all I managed was
    3.5km.

    You need to correct what is causing the problem, and you need to give your body chance to heal. If
    you do enough damage that you get scar tissue, you'll tighter and more prone to this injury. In my
    case, the problem was caused by weakness in certain muscles and wonky feet (forefoot
    something-or-other). I now have new running shoes, orthotic inserts, and being doing stretches and
    strengthening exercises recommended by a physiotherapist I was referred to. I'm looking forward to
    starting out as a beginner runner again - and doing my marathon next year.

    Take this serious. If it doesn't go away after a week or twos rest, go and see your doctor and get
    advice. Hopefully they'll refer you to a sports medicine specialist. You will be able to run your
    marathon if you want to... but you have to give your body a chance too.

    Malc

  4. "Jennifer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point where
    I can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between


    each

    Quoted message said:

    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end


    of

    Quoted message said:

    july. Has anyone else dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be
    helpful!

    As you can see you have received two normative oh-my-lord-cease-running-at-once replies, and you
    probably get many more. I say "normative" because, in most, cases this is the case. My experience
    was mixed in this regard, however. I stopped running (or moving my legs during excercise altogether)
    for 2 weeks, then proceeded with cross-training (cycling, mainly) for another week or so, and found
    that though the ITB pain had subsided, it didn't go away. At this juncture, however, I could
    run--which wasn't the case when I first got injured--so, I rested for another week, and still, no
    improvement.

    I read up a lot, and decided to try out a minority opinion option: run lightly, taking
    anti-inflammatories 1-2 hours prior to the run (with food). Progress was slow, but over the course
    of 2-3 months, my ITB improved steadily. The point: in some cases, rest alone, even when throwing
    some stretches, etc., might in fact tighten up the muscles further--only movement will finally
    loosen them.

    Finally, the addition of targeted weight-training dispensed with the discomfort, and I was actually
    able to run a marathon pain free. Your situation may be different, but it sounds like we share some
    common traits: you can run 4 miles, which indicates a milder case of ITB. You may want to cautiously
    try the "minority" approach.

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º Eduardo Suastegui "Test everything.
    Hold on to the good." (remove '701' when replying via e-mail)
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º

  5. Quoted message said:

    Can you run 4 miles without ITBS pain? If you have any pains on these 4 mile runs you need to stop
    running for a week or 2 and then try to run again. You can't just 'run through' ITBS. It will only
    get worse.

    Are you stretching? Do lots of very gentle stretches everyday, especially after running. You still
    have plenty of time to recover from this before a June 1/2 marathon.

    About twenty years ago decided not to run through ITBS pain. Did jump roping and cycling instead.
    Eventually, tried a simple stretch that gave immediate relief (did not know about ITBS at the time)
    and have not had it since.

  6. Jennifer said:

    Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point where
    I can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between each
    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end of july. Has anyone else
    dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be helpful!

    Are you wearing the same shoe model or pair of shoes now that you were wearing when you first
    developed ITB pain? Changing to a different (and better) shoe model was the key factor in solving my
    recurring ITB problems in 2001. Also did some moderate ITB strengthening exercises and stopped
    running for a couple of weeks each of the two major occurrences. Good luck. chris

  7. Jennifer said:

    Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point where I
    can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between each
    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end of july. Has anyone else
    dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be helpful!


    i've found peak performance online to have so much information i can't digest it all!!!

    pponline.co.uk0168.htm

    ...thehick

  8. riceinfo.rice.eduitband.html Iliotibial band stretch

    The above stretches and rolling the quads helped me.

    Jennifer said:

    Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point where
    I can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between each
    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end of july. Has anyone else
    dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be helpful!

  9. "Jennifer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point where
    I can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between each
    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end of july. Has anyone else
    dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be helpful!

    I had the ITB thing last Spring. It happened once and I was not able not run over 20 minutes without
    any pain. I bougth new shoes, it did not help.

    So I stopped running completely until the Fall. Then I started running again and I was able to
    run over 1 hour with no pain very soon. I guess this was too long too soon and also I was
    running on concrete (in the sidewalks) and last I got the same problem again while running
    uphill (big mistake).

    I waited for two weeks and decided to take it slowly for once in my life. I started running less
    time 3 times a week, starting with 30 minutes runs and increasing 5 minutes every week.

    This week I am running 55 minutes. I stretch a little 5 minutes into the run and at the end (the
    cross-leg thing). Also I started a diet and dropped 10 pounds.

    But what I think it is making the difference is that now I run faster. I force myself to have a
    quicker pace (shorter steps uphill or if tired). That basically means not putting too much weight on
    my knee between steps.

    I think when I started running with all those walk-and-run programs I made myself lazy and was too
    focused on running a long time too comfortably.

  10. In article said:
    Jennifer said:


    Hi, I've been dealing with IT Band for several months now. I've finally gotten to the point
    where I can run 4 miles with a 1 minute walk break between each
    mile. I have a half marathon scheduled in June and a marathon at the end of july. Has anyone
    else dealt with this and been able to race through? Any information will be helpful!

    For me, different shoes--recommended by people at a real running store--did the trick. They put me
    in a moderate stability shoe (Saucony Grid Omni 3). YMMV.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

    - Homer J. Simpson

  11. Sergio said:

    But what I think it is making the difference is that now I run faster. I force myself to have a
    quicker pace (shorter steps uphill or if tired). That basically means not putting too much weight
    on my knee between steps.

    Huh, do you mind narrating the Physics behind such a proposition?

  12. "large30077" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sergio said:

    But what I think it is making the difference is that now I run faster. I force myself to have a
    quicker pace (shorter steps uphill or if tired). That basically means not putting too much
    weight on my knee between steps.

    Huh, do you mind narrating the Physics behind such a proposition?

    If I may both explain and correct Sergio, shorter steps do not as much mean less weight on the knee,
    but weight properly placed. A longer stride will tend to entail landing ahead of your center of
    gravity, therefore putting a different stress (angle) on the knee when compared to landing under the
    center of gravity, which a shorter stride facilitates. To bolster Sergio's statement a bit, a longer
    stride will also tend to mean more "air time"--namely, up and down vs. forward motion. The greater
    the vertical displacement, the greater the number of g's applied to the knee. This is why you will
    read in some places that with every running step, one applies up to 2-3 times his weight against the
    knee joint. By shortening the stride one may reduce this g-effect to be closer to 1. Sergio may have
    also had time duration of the stress in mind--shorter stride=shorter time of stress on the knee
    joint; but it all adds up to the same.

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º Eduardo Suastegui "Test everything.
    Hold on to the good." (remove '701' when replying via e-mail)
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, "Eduardo Suastegui"

    Quoted message said:

    "large30077" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sergio said:

    But what I think it is making the difference is that now I run faster. I force myself to have
    a quicker pace (shorter steps uphill or if tired). That basically means not putting too much
    weight on my knee between steps.

    Huh, do you mind narrating the Physics behind such a proposition?

    If I may both explain and correct Sergio, shorter steps do not as much mean less weight on the
    knee, but weight properly placed. A longer stride will tend to entail landing ahead of your center
    of gravity, therefore putting a different stress (angle) on the knee when compared to landing
    under the center of gravity, which a shorter stride facilitates. To bolster Sergio's statement a
    bit, a longer stride will also tend to mean more "air time"--namely, up and down vs. forward
    motion. The greater the vertical displacement, the greater the number of g's applied to the knee.
    This is why you will read in some places that with every running step, one applies up to 2-3 times
    his weight against the knee joint. By shortening the stride one may reduce this g-effect to be
    closer to 1. Sergio may have also had time duration of the stress in mind--shorter stride=shorter
    time of stress on the knee joint; but it all adds up to the same.

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º Eduardo Suastegui "Test
    everything. Hold on to the good." (remove '701' when replying via e-mail)
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º

    i'll add some, and possibly repeat some of that, just to help clarify it in MY mind, too... it's not
    that it's less weight, just an easier impact on the knee. reduce the "up and down"/bouncing approach
    and streamline it so that it is mostly a "parallel to the ground" movement. short, quick steps mean
    you are not lifting the feet as high off the ground; therefore you're not slamming your whole weight
    down on each foot/leg with each step. lunging or bobbing along does that. all of your weight/force
    will be felt (and later too).

    i'm not very mathematical, but i think of it like this:

    go for more "air time" (foot off the ground) in terms of lifting the foot more frequently, rather
    than lifting the foot further off the ground every time and lunging (fewer steps, but more force
    downward). excuse my wonderfully scientific terminology 🙂

    Cam

  14. "Eduardo Suastegui" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "large30077" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sergio said:

    But what I think it is making the difference is that now I run faster. I force myself to have
    a quicker pace (shorter steps uphill or if tired). That basically means not putting too much
    weight on my knee between steps.

    Huh, do you mind narrating the Physics behind such a proposition?

    If I may both explain and correct Sergio, shorter steps do not as much mean less weight on the
    knee, but weight properly placed. A longer stride will tend to entail landing ahead of your center
    of gravity, therefore putting a different stress (angle) on the knee when compared to landing
    under the center of gravity, which a shorter stride facilitates. To bolster Sergio's statement a
    bit, a longer stride will also tend to mean more "air time"--namely, up and down vs. forward
    motion. The greater the vertical displacement, the greater the number of g's applied to the knee.
    This is why you will read in some places that with every running step, one applies up to 2-3 times
    his weight against the knee joint. By shortening the stride one may reduce this g-effect to be
    closer to 1. Sergio may have also had time duration of the stress in mind--shorter stride=shorter
    time of stress on the knee joint; but it all adds up to the same.

    Thanks, I think you are right. In my experience, the "shorter time of stress on the knee joint" is
    key. Obviously all this is just my perception, no idea about the Physics...

    I think running faster also helps to reduce the "time of stress" and consequently I try to avoid
    getting really tired.

    I think before (OK probably this makes eve less sense) I used my knees to support my body between
    steps, like just letting me go instead of pushing forward.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.