It is amazing how nice it is to ride recumbent trikes

rydabent

Mar 20, 2023
A little over 10 years ago I bought a trike, so my wife could ride with me. She did for a few years but pretty much gave it up. So I started to ride the trike a few times, and after a while it was what I wanted to ride on the trails in town. The fact that you can stop and start without unclipping is what makes it so nice. You just stop, and then start when it is clear. No wobbling around on start up trying to get clipped in. And since your can just ride straight off, with no wobbling, you dont annoy drivers. IMO trike are the simplest easiest no fuss way there is to cycle.

Reactions: cobbwheels
The best part about any recumbents is the riding position. The most comfortable hands down!

Never had any issues with start stop with uprights. I use flat pedals anyway without any form of foot retention.

Wobbling whenever you're super slow like during start-stops I never saw to be a problem. YES, it may annoy drivers and make them blow their horns at you BUT it also forces them to give you more space on the road! I have a helmet mirror and always watch out for cars coming from behind. Sometimes I intently wobble on climbs when I'm going slow whenever I see a car approaching from behind to pass so the passing car will give me extra space, and then resume straight and stable riding stance when the car is almost at my position. So far, it works 100% of the time!:p:p

It's a controlled wobble btw and ONLY works safely and reliably if you have a helmet mirror so you'll stop wobbling when the car is almost at your position and to see if the passing car is actually giving you extra space and to know their precise position against you. This practice will put in you in MORE danger though if don't have a way of know the car's precise position behind you.

I also found drivers are A LOT less annoyed at intently wobbling at the side of the road than taking the middle of the lane all the time. If you took the middle of the lane all the time, drivers will not only blow their horns but also roll their windows down and shout at you, "get the **** out of the road!!"