Road Cycling · Public discussion

It really is autum, isn't it

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 87 posts · 2,582 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 September 2005
Last activity
3 October 2005
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
87
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,582
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 87
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been so
    *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I still
    am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and I have to
    stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the fingertips will
    thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for the afternoon ride
    home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but these sunny warm
    afternoons are going to end soon.

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to be
    the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights. And
    then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then the
    thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in. Lights
    on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on top of
    that.

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  2. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been
    so *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I
    still am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and I
    have to stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the
    fingertips will thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for the
    afternoon ride home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but these
    sunny warm afternoons are going to end soon.

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to
    be the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights.
    And then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then
    the thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in.
    Lights on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on
    top of that.

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    --

    It's refreshing that there are people out there who can't stop the turning
    of the cranks as well!

  3. Claire Petersky <[email hidden]> wrote:

    :> You can't stop the turning of the year.

    Nor can you speed it up, either. It's still hot here, though the shorter
    days are noticable.

  4. Claire Petersky said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been so
    *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I still
    am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and I have to
    stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the fingertips will
    thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for the afternoon ride
    home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but these sunny warm
    afternoons are going to end soon.

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to be
    the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights. And
    then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then the
    thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in. Lights
    on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on top of
    that.

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    High today was 32 degrees Celsius, tonight at 01:30 it's 24 degrees
    Celsius. For Atlanta though, this is autumn as during the real summer
    it only gets down to 28 or 29 deg. C during the night.

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  5. Fred said:

    "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been
    so *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I
    still am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and I
    have to stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the
    fingertips will thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for the
    afternoon ride home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but these
    sunny warm afternoons are going to end soon.

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to
    be the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights.
    And then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then
    the thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in.
    Lights on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on
    top of that.

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    --

    It's refreshing that there are people out there who can't stop the turning
    of the cranks as well!


    down here the days are getting longer, the mornings are warmer. ah summer is on the way!! 😉

  6. Claire Petersky said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been so
    *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I still
    am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and I have to
    stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the fingertips will
    thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for the afternoon ride
    home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but these sunny warm
    afternoons are going to end soon.

    I think last week was the first time I pulled out the jacket. I gave my
    new fullfinger gloves a test, but I think I'll have to wait a bit longer
    for them, my hands were a bit too hot. Soon it will be that awkward time
    were it's too cold for the fingerless gloves in the morning, but it will
    be plenty warm enough in the afternoon, tempting you to carry both.

    Quoted message said:

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to be
    the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights. And
    then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then the
    thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in. Lights
    on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on top of
    that.

    Yes, but at least amateur week will be over and I won't have to worry
    about being taken out by someone clueless summer cyclist. I'm working
    on being lit up like a fireworks display, hopefully that will reduce
    incidents with cars this winter.

    2 rear blinkies
    1 front blinky
    2 generator headlights (Lumotec - I just put in the order today)
    And a pair of tireflys for the wheels
    😉

    Speaking of rain, and bikes without fenders. Since there was no chance
    of rain and my Crosscheck was out of commission I commuted on the fixed
    gear today. Sort of fun, moderately terrifying. Note to self: replace
    [censored] antique brake pads with Scott Mathauser pads. I'm pretty sure I
    have a pair squirrelled away somewhere in my bike stuff.

    Quoted message said:

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    Give me a long enough crank and I'll move the Earth.

    --
    Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    .... when fits of creativity run strong, more than one programmer or writer
    has been known to abandon the desktop for the more spacious floor.
    -- Fred Brooks

  7. "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been
    so *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I
    still am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and I
    have to stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the
    fingertips will thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for the
    afternoon ride home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but these
    sunny warm afternoons are going to end soon.

    I love autumn mornings for cycling. Cool, crisp air, morning mist swirling
    about the wheel... it really wakes me up.

    Quoted message said:

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to
    be the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights.
    And then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then
    the thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in.
    Lights on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on
    top of that.

    Yes, you have to think more about the weather possibilities and go
    prepared... layering... take the waterproof... Mind you, I'm always in full
    leg coverings (Bikesters) even in summer - I don't like exposing my flesh
    ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    Indeed, each season has its joys and, err... challenges!

    Cheers, helen s

    Quoted message said:

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  8. Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:41:45 -0700,
    <[email hidden]>, "Claire Petersky"

    Quoted message said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been so
    *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I still
    am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and I have to
    stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the fingertips will
    thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for the afternoon ride
    home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but these sunny warm
    afternoons are going to end soon.

    It was going home at night earlier this week that I wished I'd had the
    full finger gloves. They went into the pannier when I got home. The
    knickers are again beginning to shift toward the front of the drawer.
    (luckily they end just below the stitches) The Merino wool is back in
    regular service (It usually sees some cycling service throughout the
    year) along with a windbreaker for evenings. The rain gear is always
    ready wear or roll. Rain is good. It bathes the character built by
    hills and wind.

    But those long lingering comfortable evenings are hard to beat.
    --
    zk

  9. "Paul Hobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been
    so *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I
    still am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and
    I have to stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the
    fingertips will thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for
    the afternoon ride home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but
    these sunny warm afternoons are going to end soon.

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to
    be the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights.
    And then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then
    the thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in.
    Lights on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on
    top of that.

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    High today was 32 degrees Celsius, tonight at 01:30 it's 24 degrees
    Celsius. For Atlanta though, this is autumn as during the real summer it
    only gets down to 28 or 29 deg. C during the night.

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    .:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

    Hello? This is the US of A. Celsius? Give me a break. And you live in
    Atlanta? Half the population there can't even pronounce the word Celsius.
    Just AX em.

  10. I have a suggestion: Move to Florida. No wait don't come here to
    Florida the weather is equally as bad.

    Ken

  11. Claire Petersky said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been so
    *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I still
    am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and I have to
    stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the fingertips will
    thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for the afternoon ride
    home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but these sunny warm
    afternoons are going to end soon.

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to be
    the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights. And
    then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then the
    thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in. Lights
    on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on top of
    that.

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    Everybody, please remember: it's autumn, not fall ;-)

    (be careful out there)

  12. Thomas Wentworth said:

    "Paul Hobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been
    so *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I
    still am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and
    I have to stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the
    fingertips will thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for
    the afternoon ride home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but
    these sunny warm afternoons are going to end soon.

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to
    be the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights.
    And then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then
    the thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in.
    Lights on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on
    top of that.

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    High today was 32 degrees Celsius, tonight at 01:30 it's 24 degrees
    Celsius. For Atlanta though, this is autumn as during the real summer it
    only gets down to 28 or 29 deg. C during the night.

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    .:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

    Hello? This is the US of A. Celsius? Give me a break. And you live in
    Atlanta? Half the population there can't even pronounce the word Celsius.
    Just AX em.

    Actually this is Usenet, and usenet is international in scope, and with
    well over 90% of the world metric, it makes more sense to use metric
    temps then that old F scale......

    W

  13. Thomas Wentworth said:

    Hello? This is the US of A. Celsius? Give me a break. And you
    live in Atlanta? Half the population there can't even pronounce the
    word Celsius. Just AX em.

    Dude, it's Friday. Give your hate the day off.

  14. Thomas Wentworth said:

    "Paul Hobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    I have really been feeling it being fall these last few days. It has been
    so *cold* in the morning, and it's barely light out when I start out. I
    still am wearing half-finger gloves and shorts, but my legs turn red and
    I have to stuff my hands up my jersey at the stop lights, hoping the
    fingertips will thaw before the lights turn green. It's still warm for
    the afternoon ride home -- I don't even have to wear the jacket -- but
    these sunny warm afternoons are going to end soon.

    Eventually, as much I tried to pretend it's not coming, there's going to
    be the morning ride in where I'm just too damn cold without the tights.
    And then it's an inevitable slide into the long-sleeved jersey, and then
    the thermal jersey, then fleece with a rain jacket. Lights on the way in.
    Lights on the way home. Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on
    top of that.

    You can't stop the turning of the year.

    High today was 32 degrees Celsius, tonight at 01:30 it's 24 degrees
    Celsius. For Atlanta though, this is autumn as during the real summer it
    only gets down to 28 or 29 deg. C during the night.

    Quoted message said:

    Hello? This is the US of A. Celsius? Give me a break. And you live in
    Atlanta? Half the population there can't even pronounce the word Celsius.
    Just AX em.

    I'd like to echo the international nature of USENET as one reason to
    cite things in Celsius. Also, I was replying to Claire, whom I had
    mistaken as a Brit. Regardless, as someone born/raised/educated in the
    southeastern US, I primarily use the Celsius scale because:

    1) It makes more sense/it's easier
    2) Once you're used to it, it's more convenient
    3) It's used about 80% of the time in my courses at GT
    4) I'd like to see the US switch away from our Fred Flintstone method of
    measurements, and over to SI. I'm just practicing what I preach.

    joule per kilogram makes much more sense than British Thermal Unit per
    pound-mass.

    Do you even know what a pound-mass is (ie, how many slugs to one
    pound-mass)?
    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Paul Hobson said:

    Do you even know what a pound-mass is (ie, how many slugs to one
    pound-mass)?

    Lots of folks in the Pacific Northwest get to
    see pounds of slugs at a time. 'specially
    those big banana slugs. Ugh.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  16. Quoted message said:

    I'd like to see the US switch away from our Fred Flintstone method of


    measurements, and over to SI. I'm just practicing what I preach.

    Funny thing because when I was a young child in elementry school they
    started to teach us the metric system of all things, but that only
    lasted for a couple of years and then they canned the whole idea of
    teaching the students metrics. And that was 25+ years ago.

    Ken

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Claire Petersky said:

    Rain. More rain. And even more rain. And rain on top of
    that.

    I already miss the pounding heat of summer, on which
    I thrive.

    But we can look forward to seasonal epicurean delights --
    mulled cider, pumpkin tempura, wild mushrooms ...

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  18. Ken M said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to see the US switch away from our Fred Flintstone method of

    measurements, and over to SI. I'm just practicing what I preach.

    Funny thing because when I was a young child in elementry school they
    started to teach us the metric system of all things, but that only
    lasted for a couple of years and then they canned the whole idea of
    teaching the students metrics. And that was 25+ years ago.

    Ken

    3rd grade through freshman year at GT...all metric system. I remember
    the day it clicked: My teacher passed around little plastic cubes.
    Their edges were 1 cm long and they weighed 1 g...which was the same as
    water. Their volume was 1 mL. It makes so much sense!!!

    Then advanced engineering classes came along and shat on my face.

    \\paul
    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

  19. Paul Hobson said:
    Ken M said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to see the US switch away from our Fred Flintstone method of

    measurements, and over to SI. I'm just practicing what I preach.

    Funny thing because when I was a young child in elementry school they
    started to teach us the metric system of all things, but that only
    lasted for a couple of years and then they canned the whole idea of
    teaching the students metrics. And that was 25+ years ago.

    Ken

    3rd grade through freshman year at GT...all metric system. I remember
    the day it clicked: My teacher passed around little plastic cubes.
    Their edges were 1 cm long and they weighed 1 g...which was the same as
    water. Their volume was 1 mL. It makes so much sense!!!

    Then advanced engineering classes came along and shat on my face.

    \\paul

    I tend to like metric on most measurements, but not temperature. I
    don't want 100 to be the boiling point, I want it to be a really hot
    day. I mean, yikes, it hit 100! Not, yikes, it hit 38! 38? Who cares
    about 38!

  20. dgk said:
    Paul Hobson said:
    Ken M said:

    >I'd like to see the US switch away from our Fred Flintstone method of

    measurements, and over to SI. I'm just practicing what I preach.

    Funny thing because when I was a young child in elementry school they
    started to teach us the metric system of all things, but that only
    lasted for a couple of years and then they canned the whole idea of
    teaching the students metrics. And that was 25+ years ago.

    Ken

    3rd grade through freshman year at GT...all metric system. I remember
    the day it clicked: My teacher passed around little plastic cubes.
    Their edges were 1 cm long and they weighed 1 g...which was the same as
    water. Their volume was 1 mL. It makes so much sense!!!

    Then advanced engineering classes came along and shat on my face.

    \\paul

    I tend to like metric on most measurements, but not temperature. I
    don't want 100 to be the boiling point, I want it to be a really hot
    day. I mean, yikes, it hit 100! Not, yikes, it hit 38! 38? Who cares
    about 38!

    haha! point taken. but imagine the relief when the thermometer says 20
    (burrr?) and it's actually the most beautiful day of your life, with a
    slight tail wind and occasionaly shade by partial cloud cover.

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    ..:change the words to numbers
    if you want to reply to me:.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.