Road Cycling · Public discussion

It's raining--maybe I'll go riding

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 8 posts · 405 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 July 2006
Last activity
16 July 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
405
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
    now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
    tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
    I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
    when I'm done.

  2. Okay, Wonderful

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
    now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
    tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
    I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
    when I'm done.

  3. Quoted message said:

    Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
    now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
    tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
    I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
    when I'm done.

    Back in the days when I lived in an apartment, I'd bring my bike into
    the shower to rinse off the grime and mud after a rain ride. Much more
    effective than wiping.

    Joseph

  4. Quoted message said:

    Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
    now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
    tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
    I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
    when I'm done.

    The only thing that can get damaged are your clothes, that is if the bike
    doesn't have fenders.

    Since you are in NYC check out the TA joyrides I've put on the web. See my
    signature.

    Don <www.donwiss.com/joyrides> (e-mail link at page bottom).


  5. Quoted message said:

    Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
    now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
    tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
    I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
    when I'm done.


    You might be assuming too much. I was out on a charity ride and got stuck in
    a sudden rain. The water goes down the seat tube and into the bottom
    bracket. A couple of months later, hearing some rain stories, I decided to
    check it and found the bottom bracket assembly had to be changed out because
    it was rusted! I had to buy a new bottom bracket gizmo and use steel wool to
    clean out the inside of the tubes where it was rusted.

    Pat in TX

  6. Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Wed, Jul 12, 2006, 9:55pm (EDT-1) From:
    [email hidden] (Pat in TX)

    Quoted message said:

    You might be assuming too much. I was
    out on a charity ride and got stuck in a
    sudden rain. The water goes down the
    seat tube and into the bottom bracket. A
    couple of months later, hearing some
    rain stories, I decided to check it and
    found the bottom bracket assembly had
    to be changed out because it was rusted!

    Which Is why I driled a few holes in the bottom of the hanger shell, for
    drainage.

    - -
    Comments and opinions compliments of,
    "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    My web Site:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    To E-mail me:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

  7. Pat in TX said:
    Quoted message said:

    Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
    now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
    tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
    I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
    when I'm done.


    You might be assuming too much. I was out on a charity ride and got stuck in
    a sudden rain. The water goes down the seat tube and into the bottom
    bracket. A couple of months later, hearing some rain stories, I decided to
    check it and found the bottom bracket assembly had to be changed out because
    it was rusted! I had to buy a new bottom bracket gizmo and use steel wool to
    clean out the inside of the tubes where it was rusted.

    On most bikes, the water should not get into the frame tubes. On lower
    quality bikes with tubular seatposts open at the top, the rear wheel
    would sling water up to the seat's underside, and some would drip down
    into the seat tube and bottom bracket.

    Solutions to this are a cork in the top of the seat tube, and/or decent
    fenders, or a more modern seatpost, sealed at the top.

    ISTR some "fluted" seatposts could allow water to enter, perhaps if the
    owner trimmed the bottom off to save weight. So don't do that.

    But in general, bikes are quite weatherproof, especially if you run
    fenders. I've spent many hours out in downpours (the latest being two
    days ago) with no problems whatsoever.

    - Frank Krygowski

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
    now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
    tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
    I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
    when I'm done.

    Back in the days when I lived in an apartment, I'd bring my bike into
    the shower to rinse off the grime and mud after a rain ride. Much more
    effective than wiping.

    In that situation a handheld shower head (with the flexible "hose"
    thing) is really helpful -- you can blast away at the brake arms,
    which seem particularly prone to collecting a lot of gunk when
    ridden in the rain, especially if you go off the paved streets,
    onto hardpack park trails.

    I used to have to take my front wheel off to fit the bike into
    the apartment-sized bathtub. But it was a viable solution to
    the apartment dweller's bike cleaning problem.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.