ITT, you talk to me about Raleigh bicycles.

Laika

Sep 25, 2003
I'm a dedicated commuter cyclist with a faithful but heavy mtb/hybrid, looking to do a bit more road cycling and to improve my times on commuter rides. I've been looking at the Raleigh Grand Prix. My regular ride is Bklyn to Manhattan, if that makes a difference. Any thoughts, yea or nay?

Originally posted by Laika
I'm a dedicated commuter cyclist with a faithful but heavy mtb/hybrid, looking to do a bit more road cycling and to improve my times on commuter rides. I've been looking at the Raleigh Grand Prix. My regular ride is Bklyn to Manhattan, if that makes a difference. Any thoughts, yea or nay?

Have you consider anything else?
Isn't Laika a name of a dog in space?

Originally posted by Laika

I've bought four raleighs since 95' and have been pretty happy with quality for money. My last was a 2001 R700 which is a very similar aluminum frame and kinesis fork like the grand prix you're looking at. It's fast and fun on smooth roads but gives a harsh ride on city streets. I switched to sport tires, 25C. which is what comes on the grand prix stock and run only 95psi, which helps, but ride still sucks bad. I have ridden a Bianchi steel frame commuter with 35C tires(very fun city bike) and an older steel frame roadie in Manhattan, both of which were much more comfortable and predictable over rough pavement. Personally, I would look for a touring or cyclocross bike in steel which would give you a road bike stance and speed, but offer much better durability and ride quality on the mean streets of New York.

Originally posted by rider
Have you consider anything else?
Isn't Laika a name of a dog in space?

I was looking at lower end Lemonds and Treks, but I thought, in comparison, given my lack of experience I mught be better off with a less expensive but midline bike with a decent component set than the lowest end bike of a more expensive brand.

Yes, Laika (the word means "barker" in Russian) was the first dog in space.