Japanese barbeque

Rona Yuthasastr

Guest
No, I don't mean yakinuku (aka Korean barbeque), but my
neighbour/landlord had a barbeque this evening to which I
was invited. Oh my lord, the food! On the grill they did
beef steak (very well marbled steak, I might add), filet,
free-range chicken, sausages, asparagus, potatoes, corn,
shiitake, matsutake (actually, it wasn't matsutake but a
similar mushroom), squid...I'm sure I'm missing something.
For "appetizers" we had sashimi, makizushi, chicken karaage,
spring rolls, two or three kinds of salad, and I can't
remember what else. For dessert, fruit, miso soup (??? Don't
ask me why, but it was served between the fruit and cake
courses), and cake from the bakery owned by one of the other
guests. Yum! To drink there were a couple of different
wines, champagne, beer, vodka, iced mugicha, Coke, and my
favourite--water. I'm sure I'm missing some things. Pictures
will be posted to
http://community.webshots.com/user/prasantrin in a day or
two or three (or more--I've got tons of marking to do and I
keep putting it off. I need to get to it, fast!).

rona

--
***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
inconvenience!***

On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:54:47 +0900, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
<[email protected]> wrote:

Rona - I just checked out your pictures and they are all
wonderful. Love that ham/potato salad sandwich picture. I
know these sandwiches seem weird, but I like some of
them. Before croissant type of filled sandwiches,
Japanese were always big on filled sandwiches or buns
whether rice or wheat.

Your apartment seems very clean and functional. My first
apartment in Okinawa was much much smaller than yours.
It was like 3 ft by 5 ft (if that)! Looking at your
pictures certainly bring back memories and my first
attempt in cooking.

Nona Myers

"Nona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Rona - I just checked out your pictures and they are all
> wonderful. Love that ham/potato salad sandwich picture. I
> know these sandwiches seem weird, but I like some of
> them. Before croissant type of filled sandwiches,
> Japanese were always big on filled sandwiches or buns
> whether rice or wheat.

I remember the days when I couldn't read kanji or even
katakana/hiragana very well. I bought an egg salad sandwich
only to discover that it was a potato salad sandwich!! At
the time I thought it was odd, though I now crave potato
salad sandwiches sometimes! I can only imagine how an Atkins
advocate might hate Japan, though--potato salad sandwiches,
yakipan...Japanese people certainly do like their carbs
these days (and their growth reflects that)!

> Your apartment seems very clean and functional. My first
> apartment in Okinawa was much much smaller than yours. It
> was like 3 ft by 5 ft (if that)! Looking at your pictures
> certainly bring back memories and my first attempt in
> cooking.

My apartment is very functional but unfortunately, it's no
longer clean :-0! My very first apartment in Kyoto was teeny
tiny (not as small as yours--the living space/bedroom was 6
tatami) but my apartment in Tochigi was probably a bit
bigger than this one. It also had real wood floors (except
the bedrooms were tatami) while this place has fake plastic
floors--not even laminate! But the rest of the apartment is
great, and I know I'm very fortunate to be living here (rent-
free, at that!).

If you come to Japan in the near future, please drop by! I
think we missed each other way back in 1999-ish, so here's
another chance!

rona