Japanese barbeque

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Rona Yuthasastr, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. No, I don't mean yakinuku (aka Korean barbeque), but my
    neighbour/landlord had a barbeque this evening to which I
    was invited. Oh my lord, the food! On the grill they did
    beef steak (very well marbled steak, I might add), filet,
    free-range chicken, sausages, asparagus, potatoes, corn,
    shiitake, matsutake (actually, it wasn't matsutake but a
    similar mushroom), squid...I'm sure I'm missing something.
    For "appetizers" we had sashimi, makizushi, chicken karaage,
    spring rolls, two or three kinds of salad, and I can't
    remember what else. For dessert, fruit, miso soup (??? Don't
    ask me why, but it was served between the fruit and cake
    courses), and cake from the bakery owned by one of the other
    guests. Yum! To drink there were a couple of different
    wines, champagne, beer, vodka, iced mugicha, Coke, and my
    favourite--water. I'm sure I'm missing some things. Pictures
    will be posted to
    http://community.webshots.com/user/prasantrin in a day or
    two or three (or more--I've got tons of marking to do and I
    keep putting it off. I need to get to it, fast!).

    rona

    --
    ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
    inconvenience!***

    Tags:

  2. Nona

    Nona Guest

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 20:54:47 +0900, "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    Rona - I just checked out your pictures and they are all
    wonderful. Love that ham/potato salad sandwich picture. I
    know these sandwiches seem weird, but I like some of
    them. Before croissant type of filled sandwiches,
    Japanese were always big on filled sandwiches or buns
    whether rice or wheat.

    Your apartment seems very clean and functional. My first
    apartment in Okinawa was much much smaller than yours.
    It was like 3 ft by 5 ft (if that)! Looking at your
    pictures certainly bring back memories and my first
    attempt in cooking.

    Nona Myers

  3. "Nona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Rona - I just checked out your pictures and they are all
    > wonderful. Love that ham/potato salad sandwich picture. I
    > know these sandwiches seem weird, but I like some of
    > them. Before croissant type of filled sandwiches,
    > Japanese were always big on filled sandwiches or buns
    > whether rice or wheat.

    I remember the days when I couldn't read kanji or even
    katakana/hiragana very well. I bought an egg salad sandwich
    only to discover that it was a potato salad sandwich!! At
    the time I thought it was odd, though I now crave potato
    salad sandwiches sometimes! I can only imagine how an Atkins
    advocate might hate Japan, though--potato salad sandwiches,
    yakipan...Japanese people certainly do like their carbs
    these days (and their growth reflects that)!

    > Your apartment seems very clean and functional. My first
    > apartment in Okinawa was much much smaller than yours. It
    > was like 3 ft by 5 ft (if that)! Looking at your pictures
    > certainly bring back memories and my first attempt in
    > cooking.

    My apartment is very functional but unfortunately, it's no
    longer clean :-0! My very first apartment in Kyoto was teeny
    tiny (not as small as yours--the living space/bedroom was 6
    tatami) but my apartment in Tochigi was probably a bit
    bigger than this one. It also had real wood floors (except
    the bedrooms were tatami) while this place has fake plastic
    floors--not even laminate! But the rest of the apartment is
    great, and I know I'm very fortunate to be living here (rent-
    free, at that!).

    If you come to Japan in the near future, please drop by! I
    think we missed each other way back in 1999-ish, so here's
    another chance!

    rona