Japanese CYcle Helmets

Iarocu

Guest
http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/jpeds.html

This link refers to a study comparing injury rates for
children attending helmet wearing and non helmet wearing
schools in Japan. In the city concerned head teachers can
make helmet wearing compusory for children walking to
school. I looked for some indication this was a spoof site
but couldn't see any. Behits next campaign? Makes as much
sense as criminalising the parents of toddlers on trikes I
suppose. Iain

On 1/7/04 10:42 pm, in article
[email protected], "iarocu"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/jpeds.html
>
> This link refers to a study comparing injury rates for
> children attending helmet wearing and non helmet wearing
> schools in Japan. In the city concerned head teachers
> can make helmet wearing compusory for children walking
> to school.

> I looked for some indication this was a spoof site but
> couldn't see any.

> Behits next campaign? Makes as much sense as criminalising
> the parents of toddlers on trikes I suppose.

It's not a spoof. However the only conclusion is that the
numbers are too small to say anything meaningful.

..d

in message <[email protected]>, iarocu
('[email protected]') wrote:

> http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/jpeds.html
>
> This link refers to a study comparing injury rates for
> children attending helmet wearing and non helmet wearing
> schools in Japan. In the city concerned head teachers can
> make helmet wearing compusory for children walking to
> school. I looked for some indication this was a spoof site
> but couldn't see any. Behits next campaign? Makes as much
> sense as criminalising the parents of toddlers on trikes I
> suppose. Iain

"CONCLUSION: There was no significant difference between
children wearing helmets and those not wearing helmets in
the incidence of all injuries and head injuries by Xy test.
The odds ratio for the no helmet system was 1.26 ( 0.92 to
1.71 for 95 % confidence) for all injuries and 1.46 ( 0.45
to 4.12 for 95 % confidence) for head injuries."

What a surprise.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

'You cannot put "The Internet" into the
Recycle Bin.'

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> in message
> <[email protected]>, iarocu
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/jpeds.html
> >
> > This link refers to a study comparing injury rates for
> > children attending helmet wearing and non helmet wearing
> > schools in Japan. In the city concerned head teachers
> > can make helmet wearing compusory for children walking
> > to school. I looked for some indication this was a spoof
> > site but couldn't see any. Behits next campaign? Makes
> > as much sense as criminalising the parents of toddlers
> > on trikes I suppose. Iain
>
> "CONCLUSION: There was no significant difference between
> children wearing helmets and those not wearing helmets in
> the incidence of all injuries and head injuries by Xy
> test. The odds ratio for the no helmet system was 1.26 (
> 0.92 to 1.71 for 95 % confidence) for all injuries and
> 1.46 ( 0.45 to 4.12 for 95 % confidence) for head
> injuries."
>
> What a surprise.

So of course the schools that currently require walking
helmets will immediately make them optional.

Or more likely there will be a campaign to introduce them
here following their proven success in Japan.

--
Dave...

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want
to achieve it through not dying. — Woody Allen