Jon Urbanchek to Retire

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Larry Weisentha, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. 4precious

    4precious Guest

    [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.usswim.org/media_services/template.pl?opt=news&pubid=3837

    Yea, I saw that. I didn't know much about the USA swimmer, Klete Keller, until somebody pointed out
    that he was swimming next to Thorpe in the Olympic prelims. Keller took bronze in the 400m at
    Sydney. Swims like a left handed Hackett: head lift on dominant arm catch, "lope" timing, and same
    kick pattern.

    Keller was at SC but evidently had a heart-to-heart talk with another SC swimmer, Eric Vendt, and
    decided to move to Michigan to train with Urbanchek. Urbanchek trained Tom Dolan, one of the best
    distance freestyle swimmers in US history, and one of my favorite male swimmers to study since he
    doesn't kick much. So will be interesting to see how Keller does at the trials and beyond. He's
    evidently decided to focus all his energy on swimming, and train with the best in his event. Too bad
    for him he swims the same events as Thorpe, a swimmer who comes along once in a generation. But I
    wish him and Urbanchek luck.

    Eric