Jubilee Jam Race Report
July 22nd, 2007
I woke up at 9, slpped my alarm clock, donned my uni gear, and headed
out to the open road. Went from Pekin to Brimfield, IL, another boring
four wheeled ride that lasted 40 minutes or so. We soon started seeing
the big brown Jubilee College State Park signs everywhere, which was
good, because we really didn't know how the hell to get there. We found
the entrance to the park, and drove down a nice little path lined with
pristine trees to the massive improvised car lot. We parked and checked
in at the Peoria Area Mountain Bike Association (Hereby called pamba)
tent. I talked to some of the bikers, saying this was my first time at
Jubilee, keep in mind that I have yet to show my KH24, they all think
I'm a mtb'er 😄. They told me it was pretty harse but fun, and they
told me I'd have to walk some of it (Boy, were they wrong!) They also
asked if I was a novice rider, I told them not really, but I don't
think they believed me, because I was not all spandexed oout like they
were. I then headed to the car and grabbed my steed, a 2007 KH24, still
nice and shining with its blue luster. I could literally hear the jaws
drop to the floor 😄. I mounted up and headed back to registration
tent. I could feel the staring eyes on my back. I headed to the
starting line, and the bikers let me go to the front of the line to
start first. I heard the GO! shout from the guy with the clock, who is
the pamba race organizer, Jamie Higgins. I took of at a faster pace
than my usual, maybe 9 or 10 mph, and headed down a couple of twisting
dry singletrack. Roots slowed my progress but heightened the joy of the
ride. I headed down a couple steep descents followed by equally steep
ascents, many of which I had to peck up, exhausting me further. I came
across the first patrol biker, who kept track of time as well as took
pictures. He said something I will not soon forget, "Are you f**king
kidding me? Awesome work man! Much respect!" and he snapped a few
pictures with a big smile on his face. I let bikers pass me and asked
how much longer to go to some of the more experienced riders, they said
about 7 miles, [censored]! I wiped the sweat from my brow and continued on
with my riding. I climbed more harsh ascents and went through a couple
of 2 foot drops and over some big logs. I saw another of the patrol
guys and took a rest to talk with him. I asked him if he'd like to try,
and he said that he cound't because it'd ruin his clipless cleats. Too
bad 🙁 could've had another convert. I resumed my ride again, and asked
how much longer again, the guy told me 4 miles approx. He was right. I
went through another set of twisty turning singltrack, and ended up
coming to an open patch of the trail, I could tell it was about 11ish,
and I pedalled harder so I could relax at the finish line. I came to
the last bend, where a cameraman sat, with his camera totally focused
on me, ignoring the three bikers near me. Hehe 😄. The last bit after
that was a 50 degree or so ascent which lasted for 150 feet, ugh. I
fell at the last 6 feet, much to my disappointment because I was still
showing off for the camera 🙁. I climbed to the top and mounted again,
rode another 200 feet across the finish line and looked at my time, 56
minutes, woot! I completed the 9 mile loop! I recieved uprorious
approval from the crowd, giving me the energy boost I needed. Being the
natural performer that I am (aka a showoff 😄) I still did a couple of
tricks for the cameras of the 120+ bikers that were there. Most were
simple, like 180s and 180 unispins, 1 foot, backwards riding, etc. But
I also pulled off a 6 foot gap off of a picnic table, which was photoed
with me in the air, looking good as usual :p
To make a long story short, I had fun, got publicity, and had no
negative comments the entire day, also, I beat 12 bikers :p
Austin Little
--
kerosian
Farmdale Freeride race Sept. 29th&30th
------------------------------------------------------------------------
kerosian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13944
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/62881
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com