Just bought a Thorn Club Tour on Ebay. Did I pay too much?

Cool_Mint

Mar 27, 2010
A bit of an impulse buy this but I've wanted a Thorn bike for a long time and couldn't afford one. I'm not even sure the bike will fit me! I'm 5' 10" and the current owner is 6' 1". I hope I didn't goof too much.

I've read that some older Thorn Club Tours are worth only a couple of hundred pounds and the one I've bought will require some fettling.

Thorn Club Tour on eBay (end time 28-Mar-10 14:08:23 BST)

:rolleyes:

Sorry, double post and there's no delete option.

Cool_Mint said:
Actually, there is. Simply edit your post and click the Go Advanced button, you'll see a check box at the top of the edit screen to delete the post and a box to type in the reason for deleting the post. I took care of it for you.

By the way, welcome aboard. :cool:

Cool_Mint said:
A bit of an impulse buy this but I've wanted a Thorn bike for a long time and couldn't afford one. I'm not even sure the bike will fit me! I'm 5' 10" and the current owner is 6' 1". I hope I didn't goof too much.

I've read that some older Thorn Club Tours are worth only a couple of hundred pounds and the one I've bought will require some fettling.

she's cool, what size is she?

Good looking bike. You may need to lower the seat a little if the bike is adjusted for the previous rider. The reach might also be a little longer than what you need, however, if you substitute a straight seat post for the one with the set back in it, you might actually, or come pretty close to eliminating any reach problem that may exist. See how it fits before making any changes, and if you need to change anything, only make one change at a time. Document any changes, what was moved and how far, so that you can reset any changes that make the fit worse before you try something else.

Sorry, I can't help with your question about the value of the deal, I don't know enough about Thorn to make that call.

Cool_Mint said:

Sexy, me like. :)

Looks like 56 cm. Nice buy. At 5:10 shouldn't be a problem with a good bike fitting and a few seat or stem adjustments.
Welcome to the club Congrats
Rock:eek:

Thanks all. :)

I posted the same question on Cycle Chat and by coincidence the seller spotted the message while browsing. Anyway, I bought the bike and luck was on my side because it seems to be a near-perfect fit and the apart from needing a lot of cleaning it is in good condition; I got myself a 6 year old Thorn for £565 + whatever it costs to for a saddle & pedals; I'll be looking on Ebay for secondhand bits.