I read the thread on Saul and the unnamed rider killed on Plenty Rd., it rang some bells with me.
I was Saul's mechanic on a Tour of Tasmania a few years ago, he seemed like a really nice guy. I know he did good work with the bike club, and encouraged a lot of people out that way. I've raced on the road he was killed on. :-(
I ride out to Kinglake quite a bit. I've been harrassed by [censored] and cut close several times on Plenty Rd. There's plenty of room - why is there so much aggro/stupidity? I feel like an ancient Christian in the Coliseum, with the lions and gladiators. Only my (!) leg speed and smarts to keep me safe.
The Preston police are good, tho'. The twice I've reported PARTICULARLY stupid and aggressive behaviour they've come up trumps and given me the option of the offender being given a caution, or me pressing charges (chickened out both times :rolleyes🙂
On another topic (related): riding to see a friend on Sat eve. down Beaconsfield parade, going south. Acland St. diverges to the left, I look behind, clear, indicate right and start to pull across the lane to curve right down onto Lower Esplanade. &%$#er in a silver Landcruiser 100 series going LEFT onto Acland St. (reg# QIF 4 . . . ? DOH! didn't get the rest!) roars round me on the right and cuts me so close that his bumper flicks my front wheel! "#$%&ing MORON!" I yell (in a loud voice). I idle to a stop at the traffic lights. Pumped-up 'roid dude from the 4wd has jumped out, run across the little bit of park between Acland, Fitzroy and the Esplanade, and is waiting for me at the lights, proceeds to push and have a good yell at me and smack my helmet, hard! (ears ringing), spoiling for a fight. I push him back and tell him in no uncertain terms to get the %&$% out of my face, and try and get my foot in the pedal to ride off. I slip, and catch another whack on my shoulder. I manage to get away after pushing the guy away.
That really shook me up - that someone like that could be in charge of a 2 ton vehicle, and call it a "weapon", should be out there, waiting for the red mist to descend again so that he can bully and harrass another "fkn poofta" on a bike without any qualms. I've had worse (jackhandles brandished, et c .) but none so depressingly ordinary - just another road rager out to kill someone, and they'll get them, sooner or later, one way or another.
M "beaten up, shook up" H