Kaffir Lime Leaves in Pennsylvania?

On 2007-08-08, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:

> I must admit that the ants love that tree.

They are the perfect indicator. If your tree has any ant traffic
whatsoever, the tree has scale on it somewhere. There is no other
reason for them to be there, as the tree itself has no particular
attraction to ants by itself.

> Are you talking horticultural oil.....

Yeah, that's it:

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1999/2-19-1999/oilsprays.html

There are horticultural oils that do include insecticides which may be
more suitable for your larger meyer lemon.

> I do have the kaffir in a larger pot. It suffers over teh winter,
> though and loses leaves. It rejuvenates itself magnificently each
> spring/summer, though, so I do not complain.

Rootbound defoliation is more severe and noticable and the onset is
shockingly quick. I noticed in the span of just a couple days the
tree lost all but half dozen leaves, they turning cardboard beige and
dropping off by the dozens literally overnight. By time I got it to
the nursery for plant care lesson #3, I figured it was already too
late and was ready to purchase a replacement. But, one little sprig
survived and with the rootball unbound and refreshed with new soil,
the sucker jumped back like gangbusters. Hearty little suckers.
Gotta be to survive my inept care. ;)

> I grow lemon grass (it also winters over in the kitchen) and galangal,
> too.

I'm impressed. I'll get back to you for advice after I get to CO.

nb

In article <[email protected]>,
David <ocicatmuseum@rm0ve_tH15.aol.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
> ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
> plants seeds would be just as useful.

You might find them at Wegman's. Pennsylvania has several Wegman's
supermarkets, so if a Wegman's is located in your area, check it out.

"Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> David <ocicatmuseum@rm0ve_tH15.aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
>> ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
>> plants seeds would be just as useful.

> You might find them at Wegman's. Pennsylvania has several Wegman's
> supermarkets, so if a Wegman's is located in your area, check it out.

Good luck. I live in Virginia, but shop occasionally in Fairfax at many
ethnic stores, Turkish, Indian, Mid-eastern, Pakastani, all of them, plus
Wegmans, WF, TJ's, etc.
I was on a hunt for fresh kaffir lime leaves for a year -- I never found
them.
I'm out of the mood now.

It was the same with galangal. I used to get it -- no more; I searched the
stores for a number of times. But I'm about through with Asian anymore
anyway.
Dee Dee

Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 01:14:52 -0500, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Learn about citrus scale. These trees are magnets, which is why those
>>3 citrus producing states don't want any imported. No steeenking
>>furiner scale! ;)

>Ha, ha...I just posted about the problem I have with scale and my
>kaffir lime.

Any suggestions on what to do about scale? Our meyer lemon
has a bad case of it.

Steve

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:16:07 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 01:14:52 -0500, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Learn about citrus scale. These trees are magnets, which is why those
>>>3 citrus producing states don't want any imported. No steeenking
>>>furiner scale! ;)

>>Ha, ha...I just posted about the problem I have with scale and my
>>kaffir lime.

>Any suggestions on what to do about scale? Our meyer lemon
>has a bad case of it.
>
>Steve

I hear horticultural oil is the way to go.

Boron