Kate's Great Meal Himmel und Erde recipe

K

Kate Connally

HIMMEL UND ERDE ("Heaven and Earth", a Rhineland Specialty)

4 lg. potatoes, peeled and cubed 3 **** apples, peeled, cored, and quartered salt and sugar to taste
butter blood sausage (optional)

Cook potatoes in slated water for 15 minutes. Drain, add apples, and cook until tender. Mash, season
with salt, sugar, and butter. The blood sausage is sliced, fried in a little fat and served over the
potato-apple mixture. Makes 4 servings. Note: Leftover Himmel und Erde can be made into delicious
potato cakes. Form into patties with a spoon, shape between palms of hands, fry in butter. With
Onion: Omit blood sausage, fry onions separately in butter or schmalz, serve as a topping for the
potato-apple puree. With bacon: Fry bacon until crisp. Serve Himmel und Erde topped with crisp bacon
and a little of the bacon drippings.

Notes: I cooked the potatoes as I normally would for mashed potatoes. Previously I had cooked the
apples separately in the microwave until soft enough to be mashed. I mashed them coarsely with a
spoon. When the potatoes were done I drained them and returned them to the pot and added lots of
butter and started to mash them with the mixer. When they were partly mashed I added the still warm
apples and continued mashing until they were blended. I did not add any salt (I used lots of salt
when I cooked the potatoes, plus I used salted butter) nor any sugar. As to quantities, I did not
follow the recipe but used about 10-12 medium-large russets and about 8 large McIntosh apples, and
about 1 stick of butter. I have never tried any of the other serving options at the end of the
recipe but they sound really good - especially the bacon version.
--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all
about? mailto:[email protected]