rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

KH Hub, care and feeding????

Started by brycer1968 · · Last activity · 9 posts · 230 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
5 September 2007
Last activity
7 September 2007
Original author
brycer1968
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
230
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm building my KH 26x3 unicycle wheel this week and I'm wanting to know
    if any one has a moment to share your experience on the assembling the
    KH crank arms on a new KH hub? I know the drill on all my square taper
    stuff all too well, but not sure . . . . how tight, use grease? or
    locktite, where? and do I need a different type of crank arm puller to
    remove crank arms in the future? Anything else I need to know?

    Maybe there is already another thread that answers these questions?

    Feedback appreciated.

    Brycer1968

    --
    brycer1968
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brycer1968's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11311
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. brycer1968 said:

    I'm building my KH 26x3 unicycle wheel this week and I'm wanting to know
    if any one has a moment to share your experience on the assembling the
    KH crank arms on a new KH hub? I know the drill on all my square taper
    stuff all too well, but not sure . . . . how tight, use grease? or
    locktite, where? and do I need a different type of crank arm puller to
    remove crank arms in the future? Anything else I need to know?

    Maybe there is already another thread that answers these questions?

    Feedback appreciated.

    Brycer1968

    The splines are a lot less problematic than the square tapers. I would
    still put some grease or anti-seize on the spline/crank interface, but
    other than that, just crank the bolt down tight and you'll be fine.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. I recently built a new wheel for my Muni using the Moment Hub. As was
    already suggested, I used a small amount of grease on the splines
    before putting on the crank arms. I then tightened up the hex head bolt
    as tight as I could. After my ride, I found that the bolts had gotten
    loose, I tightened them both up again. Next ride, 1 bolt had come
    loose. This time, I used locktite on the threads of the hex head bolt,
    reinstalled and haven't had a problem since.

    I would be interested if anyone else has had an issue with the bolt
    coming loose.

    --
    One on one

    "That's going to end up in somebody's sig." - rob.northcott

    "one on one is happy, so am I!...." -CKCrowe
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. One on one said:

    I recently built a new wheel for my Muni using the Moment Hub. As was
    already suggested, I used a small amount of grease on the splines
    before putting on the crank arms. I then tightened up the hex head bolt
    as tight as I could. After my ride, I found that the bolts had gotten
    loose, I tightened them both up again. Next ride, 1 bolt had come
    loose. This time, I used locktite on the threads of the hex head bolt,
    reinstalled and haven't had a problem since.

    I would be interested if anyone else has had an issue with the bolt
    coming loose.

    Regarding the crank puller, I used the same puller that I would use on
    my square taper cranks, but with an important change. I installed the
    hex head bolt loosely into the hub and then used the puller normally. I
    was concerned with cranking the puller into the threaded section of the
    hub. By putting the bolt in first, my puller was pushing down onto the
    outside of the bolt. The cranks come loose with out much persuasion.

    My bolt has only loosened up once. It was the left crank, and I was
    riding down a hill. I feel a little scratch on my ankle, which is
    pretty weird to feel while riding the Moment cranks. So I look down,
    and there is a nub, and then it fell out. It sucked, but I got it in,
    and got back home and tightened it up.

    For my cranks though, I have self-extracting bolts, so as soon as the
    bolt is out, the crank comes off either with it, or you just barely
    pull and it slides off.

    --
    Jerrick

    ~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
    more!~*~
    '!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
    '!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
    'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
    My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Definitely grease the splines. Maybe I shouldn't of greased the bolt.
    On my 05 KH it has come loose a lot. Next time I rotate the cranks I
    will clean the grease out and put the bolt in with blue loctite.
    On the 05 KH, the splines are straight, and the cranks will pull off
    by hand. The 07 has a tapered spline, and will need a puller.
    I like this tool I picked up recently. It will pull square or
    splined cranks. It actually has a hole in the handle, that the second
    adapter snaps in for storage, but otherwise is like this picture.
    http://tinyurl.com/392uxq

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: TL0585.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/22152 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    feel the light
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    feel the light's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14551
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Thanks for the bit on grease and locktite and crank removal. That all
    sounds good, but how tight should I get that allen bolt? I'm used to
    going for 55-60 foot pounds on the UDC square taper hubs, but I know
    thats not needed with the splined hub, right??

    brycer1968

    --
    brycer1968
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    brycer1968's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11311
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. brycer1968 said:

    I'm wanting to know if any one has a *moment* to share your experience
    on the assembling the KH crank arms on a new KH hub?

    nobody else got the pun?

    --
    iridemymuni

    maker of the happy birthday threads
    _________
    Just put the new uni together in the driveway stopped to move the car
    and ran over the uni.
    Felt like putting my head under the tire.
    - JustOneWheel
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iridemymuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11900
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. brycer1968 said:

    That all sounds good, but how tight should I get that allen bolt? I'm
    used to going for 55-60 foot pounds on the UDC square taper hubs, but I
    know thats not needed with the splined hub, right??
    brycer1968

    Hand tight with an allen wrench. Definitely don't need a torque wrench.

    --
    One on one

    "That's going to end up in somebody's sig." - rob.northcott

    "one on one is happy, so am I!...." -CKCrowe
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. One on one said:

    I recently built a new wheel for my Muni using the Moment Hub. As was
    already suggested, I used a small amount of grease on the splines
    before putting on the crank arms. I then tightened up the hex head bolt
    as tight as I could. After my ride, I found that the bolts had gotten
    loose, I tightened them both up again. Next ride, 1 bolt had come
    loose. This time, I used locktite on the threads of the hex head bolt,
    reinstalled and haven't had a problem since.

    I would be interested if anyone else has had an issue with the bolt
    coming loose.

    Regarding the crank puller, I used the same puller that I would use on
    my square taper cranks, but with an important change. I installed the
    hex head bolt loosely into the hub and then used the puller normally. I
    was concerned with cranking the puller into the threaded section of the
    hub. By putting the bolt in first, my puller was pushing down onto the
    outside of the bolt. The cranks come loose with out much persuasion.

    One on one,

    _Bolts_coming_loose_
    As a general rule: After first installation (or even after "another"
    installation) the cranks, especially if they are made of aluminum
    alloy, tend to "give up" a little with each of the following few rides!
    This means the contact patch between cranks and hub will tend to grow
    (to a bigger %). In other words the respective crank hole will adapt to
    the microscopic details of the hub interface, thus will enlarge
    slightly. So, on tapered interfaces (square, ISIS...) this effect
    allows the crank to enter deeper on the axle (actually it's the other
    way around) thus needing further bolt tightening.

    The above saying is valid for all tapered interfaces. As cranks and hub
    wore-out they will engage deeper and deeper until eventually the
    bolt/nut will press against the hub end or will run out of thread.
    Obviously this will not happen immediately - I just pointed out idea...

    However ISIS was designed in such a way that cranks will enter on the
    axle to a certain point only (see ISIS standard...many numbers here).
    In practice sometimes to reach that "end" point you need to either
    tighten the bolt excessively from the beginning and risk damaging the
    threads or wait for the natural "give-up" process of the materials.

    Finally, here is how I do it and never had problems: whenever I
    (re-)install the cranks I tighten the bolts hand-tight (with a 15cm
    lever allen key) at first and then after every ride for a while. Witch
    each ride the bolts allow for a lesser and lesser such tightening until
    eventually coming to a stop. Actually I consider it's enough to do 3-5
    tightening sessions but it's good to check things from time to time
    later.
    So, generally it's not the bolts that are getting loose but the
    interface "gives-up" a little. Then if you use Loctite from the very
    first time after installation then you may have a false illusion that
    the interface is tight! I recommend against using Loctite in this case
    and in all other situations where it's not strictly necessary!
    Instead, you should use grease for both the interface and the bolts!!!
    .............................................
    _Crank_puller_
    They are the same for square and ISIS. The same actual tool but the tip
    should differ only - wider for ISIS (~16mm) and narrower for square
    (~10mm).
    Be carefully which one you use for which application or you'll lose
    some money!

    You should never use the puller with the bolt inside, on the same side.
    This is a very bad idea. By the way: the puller has to be fully screwed
    in the crank. There were cases of puller stripping the crank
    threads...so watch out!

    Finally, KH Moment hub uses M12 bolts and thus has plenty of metal wall
    to press against - no need for additional gadgets!

    Hope this helps,
    Flaviu

    --
    UAC

    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"
    (Saint Augustine)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UAC's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12170
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64049

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.