Kiev/Ukraine for 6 months: glucophage, amaryl, wellbutrin, others avail?(or equivalents)

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by *L* Lol, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. *L* Lol

    *L* Lol Guest

    Hello group,

    I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
    months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
    recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It was
    available in stores everywhere, without a prescription. I
    looked for a couple other common drugs, which were also
    available.

    I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
    equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
    medications. What is the availability of :

    Wellbutrin SR 150, Glucophage XR 500 Amaryl 1 mg

    If these are not available, what are the equivalent meds
    that are available?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Flying Rat

    Flying Rat Guest

    *L* LOL said this...
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
    > months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
    > recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It
    > was available in stores everywhere, without a
    > prescription. I looked for a couple other common drugs,
    > which were also available.
    >
    > I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
    > equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
    > medications. What is the availability of :

    Few countries use the American brand names as their
    pharmacies carry generic (chemically identical) drugs.

    > Wellbutrin SR 150,

    Bupropion HCl

    > Glucophage XR 500

    Metformin 500mg (XR variant is generally the
    trademarked variety)

    > Amaryl 1 mg

    Glimepiride

    US branding rarely means anything in other countries, and
    indeed the product may be sold under a completely different
    trademark. Ordering or requesting the product by its generic
    name covers all bases

    Ratty

    --
    Imitation of life

    www.flyingrat.net

  3. *L* Lol

    *L* Lol Guest

    On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:41:09 -0000, Flying Rat <[email protected]> wrote:

    >*L* LOL said this...
    >> Hello group,
    >>
    >> I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
    >> months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
    >> recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It
    >> was available in stores everywhere, without a
    >> prescription. I looked for a couple other common drugs,
    >> which were also available.
    >>
    >> I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
    >> equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
    >> medications. What is the availability of :
    >
    >Few countries use the American brand names as their
    >pharmacies carry generic (chemically identical) drugs.
    >

    >> Wellbutrin SR 150,
    >
    >Bupropion HCl
    >
    >> Glucophage XR 500
    >
    >Metformin 500mg (XR variant is generally the
    >trademarked variety)
    >
    >> Amaryl 1 mg
    >
    >Glimepiride
    >
    >US branding rarely means anything in other countries, and
    >indeed the product may be sold under a completely different
    >trademark. Ordering or requesting the product by its
    >generic name covers all bases
    >
    >Ratty

    Thanks

  4. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "*L* LOL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
    > months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
    > recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It
    > was available in stores everywhere, without a
    > prescription. I looked for a couple other common drugs,
    > which were also available.
    >
    > I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
    > equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
    > medications. What is the availability of :
    >
    > Wellbutrin SR 150, Glucophage XR 500 Amaryl 1 mg

    I have to sau this:-

    What's the problem with taking it WITH you? I know for a
    fact that I wouldn't leave ANYTHING to chance when it came
    to my continued supply of my favourite drug, and the best
    way to ensure continuation is carry a bagful with you.

    > If these are not available, what are the equivalent meds
    > that are available?

    I wouldn't think this was a good time to experiment.

    Beav

  5. *L* Lol

    *L* Lol Guest

    On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:57:57 -0000, "Beav"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"*L* LOL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hello group,
    >>
    >> I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for 6
    >> months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6 weeks
    >> recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus infection. It
    >> was available in stores everywhere, without a
    >> prescription. I looked for a couple other common drugs,
    >> which were also available.
    >>
    >> I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
    >> equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
    >> medications. What is the availability of :
    >>
    >> Wellbutrin SR 150, Glucophage XR 500 Amaryl 1 mg
    >
    >I have to sau this:-
    >
    >What's the problem with taking it WITH you? I know for a
    >fact that I wouldn't leave ANYTHING to chance when it came
    >to my continued supply of my favourite drug, and the best
    >way to ensure continuation is carry a bagful with you.
    >>
    >> If these are not available, what are the equivalent meds
    >> that are available?
    >
    >I wouldn't think this was a good time to experiment.
    >
    >Beav

    Beav,

    I will be in Russia and Ukraine for an extended but
    undetermined length of time. I have a 6 month supply to take
    with me, but I could be overseas for more than a year. If
    there are equivalents, why try to take more? Also, there's a
    70 lb weight limit on luggage. ;0)

    LOL

  6. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "*L* LOL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:57:57 -0000, "Beav"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"*L* LOL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> Hello group,
    > >>
    > >> I will be in Kiev and a few other cities in Ukraine for
    > >> 6 months or more, beginning in May. I was there for 6
    > >> weeks recently, and took amoxicillin for a sinus
    > >> infection. It was available in stores everywhere,
    > >> without a prescription. I looked for a couple other
    > >> common drugs, which were also available.
    > >>
    > >> I found some pharmacies that carry diabetic testing
    > >> equipment, but I did not look for my maintenance
    > >> medications. What is the availability of :
    > >>
    > >> Wellbutrin SR 150, Glucophage XR 500 Amaryl 1 mg
    > >
    > >I have to sau this:-
    > >
    > >What's the problem with taking it WITH you? I know for a
    > >fact that I wouldn't leave ANYTHING to chance when it
    > >came to my continued supply of
    my
    > >favourite drug, and the best way to ensure continuation
    > >is carry a bagful with you.
    > >>
    > >> If these are not available, what are the equivalent
    > >> meds that are available?
    > >
    > >I wouldn't think this was a good time to experiment.
    > >
    > >Beav
    > >

    > Beav,
    >
    > I will be in Russia and Ukraine for an extended but
    > undetermined length of time. I have a 6 month supply
    > to take with me, but I could be overseas for more
    > than a year.

    Well in that case, you've got 6 months to find a real
    supplier (as opposed to a "try this chain, or that chain"
    from someone on here that may or may not have been to Russia
    in a while. I know that when I used to go to Sweden for
    extended periods, I'd take a few weeks supply with me, and
    go to the largest pharmacy in town (or the only one;-) and
    check if they stocked what I needed. I had a buufer supply
    if they didn't which was all I ever needed.

    If there are equivalents, why try
    > to take more?

    Well equivs are Ok if you can't get what you normally use,
    but I like the "same same" when I get a script refill

    Also, there's a 70 lb weight limit on luggage. ;0)

    Ahh, you're just being a cheap bugger now:)) A thought
    too.... you could get your home town pharmacy to send it to
    your Russian address if things get REALLY hard, but it's my
    guess that you'll get your normal stuff over there these
    days Maybe not on the 70's and 80's, but thankfully things
    have moved on and (hopefully) improved.

    Beav