Killer Workout

Alex Simmons

Mar 12, 2006
I was thinking up a new killer training workout for when I get back to riding. It goes something like:

On the indoor trainer
with the heater on to acclimatise to summer racing
and front wheel raised to simulate climbing (using Sydney's white and yellow pages of course)
and Active Spokes on the rear wheel
at low cadence, strength-endurance style (so my capilliaries don't explode)
riding intervals at anaerobic threshold heart rate for 10-min (as determined by a Conconi test)
using power cranks
with elliptical chainrings
while breathing thru a powerbreathe device
in a high altitude tent
and for rest intervals I jump off and do a weight set.

Afterwards a cold bath so lactic acid is flushed away.

but was wondering if anyone could help me add some other killer elements....
:p

Alex Simmons said:
I was thinking up a new killer training workout for when I get back to riding. It goes something like:

On the indoor trainer
and front wheel raised to simulate climbing (using Sydney's white and yellow pages of course)
riding intervals at anaerobic threshold heart rate for 10-min (as determined by a Conconi test)
using power cranks
in a high altitude tent

Killer workout thats for sure. The first line kills me. Damn indoor trainers.
Maybe you could have some britney spears or paris hilton playing as workout music.

Alex Simmons said:

On the indoor trainer
using power cranks
in a high altitude tent

Remove the saddle.

I am not familiar with Sydney's phone books. Would that put you at a 8 to 10% gradient? :)

I use a large industrial fan directly in front of me to help me get use to training in head winds, but I often like the best looking girl in the spin class to have her bike set in front of mine so that I can practice drafting. Sometime they get a little aggrivated and say, "would you stop breathing down my shorts." :D

Felt_Rider said:
I am not familiar with Sydney's phone books. Would that put you at a 8 to 10% gradient? :)
I'll do the measurements tomorrow.
Felt_Rider said:
I use a large industrial fan directly in front of me to help me get use to training in head winds, ... :D
Nice one. So for recovery riding I'll put the fan behind me.

Alex Simmons said:
I'll do the measurements tomorrow.
Nice one. So for recovery riding I'll put the fan behind me.

.......and accordingly adjust the fan to the side to see how bad your disc wheels on your trainer react to cross winds.

On a different note:
I know a lot of guys swear by Assos Chamois Creme, but I am using a different approach by putting sand in my shorts to toughen up things a little.

Felt_Rider said:
I am using a different approach by putting sand in my shorts to toughen up things a little.
I see you bought my old team's shorts too. ;)

Ride a flat tubular for better road-feel.
Use lead weights in the water bottles and attach a trailer full of cement blocks.
Keep the spinscan value >80 for the entire interval, and add a 1-minute ramp to MaxHR at the end of each one.
Repeat until P:HR ratio goes negative, and then you're ready to race. :D

frenchyge said:
Ride a flat tubular for better road-feel.
Use lead weights in the water bottles and attach a trailer full of cement blocks.
Keep the spinscan value >80 for the entire interval, and add a 1-minute ramp to MaxHR at the end of each one.
Repeat until P:HR ratio goes negative, and then you're ready to race. :D
Fantastic workout plan Alex! But you know you can't develop race speed with steady 10 minute intervals, how about putting them phone books under the trainer legs and wind out some downhill speed intervals. Maybe 45 seconds on with 10 minutes rest between each one that'll get your speed up!

Oh yeah, and if you do these daily(why do anything else) you'll want to watch your nutrition. I'd suggest a big rare steak after each workout. Gotta keep that protein topped off if you want to do this day after day........

Alex Simmons said:

On the indoor trainer
using power cranks
in a high altitude tent

Alex, given your situation, have you thought of trying to integrate some bodyweight pistols into your routine? A pistol is basically a one legged squat down to the floor. Google bodyweight pistols and you should find some good descriptions of them. It will take you some practice and you need to work through some of the progressions until you can even do one in good form. As you know, lifting is pretty controversial on this forum, but I find pistols to be a pretty good complement to cycling. Particulalry, if you integrate them in a GTG method. Basically, you start doing them randomly throughout the day, never to failure and only a few reps per shot. I have to imagine they will help you tremendously with balance and strength in the one leg. You need zero equipment and can do them anywhere.

kopride said:
Alex, given your situation, have you thought of trying to integrate some bodyweight pistols into your routine? A pistol is basically a one legged squat down to the floor. Google bodyweight pistols and you should find some good descriptions of them. It will take you some practice and you need to work through some of the progressions until you can even do one in good form. As you know, lifting is pretty controversial on this forum, but I find pistols to be a pretty good complement to cycling. Particulalry, if you integrate them in a GTG method. Basically, you start doing them randomly throughout the day, never to failure and only a few reps per shot. I have to imagine they will help you tremendously with balance and strength in the one leg. You need zero equipment and can do them anywhere.
Kopride, I think your post violates the serious premise of this thread. Doesn't it? ;)

Alex, what are you planning to do in terms of your arm strength? You know, to help your climbing?

Piotr said:
Kopride, I think your post violates the serious premise of this thread. Doesn't it? ;)

Alex, what are you planning to do in terms of your arm strength? You know, to help your climbing?
Bicep curls and tricep extensions using the phone books of course!!

Speaking of phone books, total height 175mm. Height of rear wheel off ground. ~ ~35mm. Wheelbase 1025mm.

So total elevation of front vs back wheel is 175-35 mm = 140mm over a wheelbase of 1025mm. Arcsin(140/1025) =~ 8 degrees gradient :p

I was thinking I should wear the aero helmet when doing my VO2 Max work though. :D

And change to mid foot cleat position.:p

Well on the left leg it'll end up being an ankle cleat position anyway !

Alex Simmons said:

On the indoor trainer
using power cranks
in a high altitude tent

Your forgot the rubberized skinsuit and electric cattle prod that's linked to a torque sensor in the cranks. If you try and pull up/unweight you get 240v/30amps in your ass. It's all about the push, yo!

swampy1970 said:
Your forgot the rubberized skinsuit and electric cattle prod that's linked to a torque sensor in the cranks. If you try and pull up/unweight you get 240v/30amps in your ass. It's all about the push, yo!
Even if I'm on powercranks:eek::D

Alex Simmons said:
but was wondering if anyone could help me add some other killer elements
What could be more appropriate than a killer headwind ?

Also, in keeping with the food thing, about 10 minutes before each workout eat three chilidogs and chase them with your favorite swill beer. You might feel a little nauseous during the intervals, but only a little bit. ;) :p

Alex Simmons said:
Bicep curls and tricep extensions using the phone books of course!!

Speaking of phone books, total height 175mm. Height of rear wheel off ground. ~ ~35mm. Wheelbase 1025mm.

So total elevation of front vs back wheel is 175-35 mm = 140mm over a wheelbase of 1025mm. Arcsin(140/1025) =~ 8 degrees gradient :p

I was thinking I should wear the aero helmet when doing my VO2 Max work though. :D

And change to mid foot cleat position.:p

Well on the left leg it'll end up being an ankle cleat position anyway !
You mean Steve Hogg didn't make you do that yet?! :confused:

Piotr said:
You mean Steve Hogg didn't make you do that yet?! :confused:
Hoggie is of course a very good mate of mine but it doesn't mean we agree on everything.;) Nevertheless, Steve will be managing my bike fit - we've been talking about it since his first visit to me in hospital 9 months ago.

Alex Simmons said:
Even if I'm on powercranks:eek::D
Not only do you have to pull up which means that you get zapped but you have extra incentive to make the most of every single pedal rev. :D But trust me - the cattle prod will be the least painful part for the first three months.

Muhahahaha!

No cheating by stuffing left over shrimp from the bbq in the powercranks clutch either! If you do that I'll have to ask Frank to machine you some 'old school' L shaped cranks or swap your chamois cream with full on Siberian strength embrocation!