Road Cycling · Public discussion

killfile strategies for googlespam

Started by max · · Last activity · 20 posts · 493 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 April 2008
Last activity
9 April 2008
Original author
max
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
493
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    I like to nuke subjects or authors containing the strings:

    buy
    cheap
    china
    discount
    handbag
    replica
    sales
    shoe
    watch
    wholesale

    I i've also noticed good results subject-filtering on:
    www
    ..com (".com", with the dot)
    paypal

    the combinations did a nice job on 1000 articles from here, with no
    obvious false hits, and no misses. ymmv.

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
    their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

  2. max said:

    Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    I like to nuke subjects or authors containing the strings:

    buy
    cheap
    china
    discount
    handbag
    replica
    sales
    shoe
    watch
    wholesale

    I i've also noticed good results subject-filtering on:
    www
    .com (".com", with the dot)
    paypal

    the combinations did a nice job on 1000 articles from here, with no
    obvious false hits, and no misses.  ymmv.

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
    their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.


    So if I want to tell RBM how great I think Sidi *shoes* are, I guess
    you are just not interested?

    I would be interested to hear how you are so sure you are not
    inadvertently filtering out bona fide RBM posts.

    J.

    J.

  3. Quoted message said:
    max said:

    Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty
    on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    I like to nuke subjects or authors containing the strings:

    buy
    cheap
    china
    discount
    handbag
    replica
    sales
    shoe
    watch
    wholesale

    I i've also noticed good results subject-filtering on:
    www
    .com (".com", with the dot)
    paypal

    the combinations did a nice job on 1000 articles from here, with no
    obvious false hits, and no misses. ymmv.

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people
    include in their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke
    or quotation.


    So if I want to tell RBM how great I think Sidi *shoes* are, I guess
    you are just not interested?

    I would be interested to hear how you are so sure you are not
    inadvertently filtering out bona fide RBM posts.

    I want to buy some cheap cycling shoes. Should I watch the sales?

    D'OH!

  4. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:
    max said:

    Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    I like to nuke subjects or authors containing the strings:

    buy
    cheap
    china
    discount
    handbag
    replica
    sales
    shoe
    watch
    wholesale

    I i've also noticed good results subject-filtering on:
    www
    .com (".com", with the dot)
    paypal

    the combinations did a nice job on 1000 articles from here, with no
    obvious false hits, and no misses.  ymmv.

    Quoted message said:

    So if I want to tell RBM how great I think Sidi *shoes* are, I guess
    you are just not interested?

    ..

    In fact, there's nothing in this portion of the evanescent multiverse
    that you could possibly post about shoes that could interest me at all.

    Quoted message said:

    I would be interested to hear how you are so sure you are not
    inadvertently filtering out bona fide RBM posts.

    I told my newsreader to "show killed articles" and filtered the last
    thousand articles posted here. I then turned on and off various filters
    to see what happened, and looked at the ones flagged as killed.

    As I said, i saw no obvious false hits, and a nice degree of despamming.

    Let me put it this way: i have a higher degree of confidence in being
    able to see articles i might care about this way that i do when i bring
    up this group and see 25 chinese googlegenic spam articles, get
    disgusted and nuke the whole day's posts.

    ..max

    YMMV, HTH, HAND.

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
    their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bill Sornson said:
    Quoted message said:
    max said:

    Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty
    on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    I like to nuke subjects or authors containing the strings:

    buy
    cheap
    china
    discount
    handbag
    replica
    sales
    shoe
    watch
    wholesale

    I i've also noticed good results subject-filtering on:
    www
    .com (".com", with the dot)
    paypal

    the combinations did a nice job on 1000 articles from here, with no
    obvious false hits, and no misses. ymmv.

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people
    include in their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke
    or quotation.


    So if I want to tell RBM how great I think Sidi *shoes* are, I guess
    you are just not interested?

    I would be interested to hear how you are so sure you are not
    inadvertently filtering out bona fide RBM posts.

    I want to buy some cheap cycling shoes. Should I watch the sales?

    D'OH!

    Ify ou' rei
    nte res ted
    int hat sor
    tof thi ngt
    hen may bey
    ous hou adj
    ust you rfi
    ter acc ord
    ing ly.

    ..max

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
    their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

  6. On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:07:07 -0700 (PDT), "[email hidden]"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [---]

    Quoted message said:

    I would be interested to hear how you are so sure you are not
    inadvertently filtering out bona fide RBM posts.

    Regular Google posters whom you wish to read can always be put on a
    "white list".

    There is always the risk of "collateral damage", but now that it's
    become a trunk sewer, that is also a risk for posters who insist on
    using the Google interface, instead of a proper NNTP newsreader.

  7. The signal:noise ratio in this NG has gotten so bad lately that I'm
    tempted to raise the possibility of proposing that this be made a
    moderated group. If we could have moderators who would block the spam,
    the flamers, and the trolls in such a way that every individual user
    didn't have to, this group would be a valuable resource. As things stand
    right now, though, it's about 80% garbage.

    Bill

    __o | Harry: How could a troll get in?
    _`\(,_ | Ron: Not on its own. Trolls are really stupid.
    (_)/ (_) |

  8. max said:

    Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    Not "gmail.com;" you mean "groups.google.com."

    --

    John ([email hidden])

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Thompson said:
    max said:

    Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    Not "gmail.com;" you mean "groups.google.com."

    no, i mean from: = "[email hidden]".

    groups.google.com would (did) work, but my isp's newsprovider
    (giganews?) for some reason is gorking on requests for organization:
    headers as of a few days ago.

    Actually, i noticed that filtering user contains 126.com seems fairly
    effective, too.

    ..max

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
    their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

  10. Quoted message said:

    The signal:noise ratio in this NG has gotten so bad lately that I'm
    tempted to raise the possibility of proposing that this be made a
    moderated group. If we could have moderators who would block the spam,
    the flamers, and the trolls in such a way that every individual user
    didn't have to, this group would be a valuable resource. As things stand
    right now, though, it's about 80% garbage.


    Look at what has happened to rec.bicycles.off-road since it became
    moderated:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.off-road/topics?hl=en&lnk=gschg>.

    Lots of spam and hardly any on-topic content.

    Moderate the group and it will die.

    By the way, my news-server must block about 99% of the spam, since I am
    seeing only a handful of spam posts each day.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  11. max said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    So if I want to tell RBM how great I think Sidi *shoes* are, I guess
    you are just not interested?

    In fact, there's nothing in this portion of the evanescent multiverse
    that you could possibly post about shoes that could interest me at all.
    [...]

    Platform pedal user?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  12. max said:

    Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    I like to nuke subjects or authors containing the strings:

    buy
    cheap
    china
    discount
    handbag
    replica
    sales
    shoe
    watch
    wholesale

    I i've also noticed good results subject-filtering on:
    www
    .com (".com", with the dot)
    paypal

    the combinations did a nice job on 1000 articles from here, with no
    obvious false hits, and no misses.  ymmv.

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
    their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

    I think the exchanges on this topic are assuming knowledge some of us
    (me, anyway) don't have. Namely, what are the basics? How do you set
    up a filter? How do you filter only stuff on the newsgroup(s)?
    Where do you look for step by step instructions?

  13. On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 20:32:48 -0500, max <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not "gmail.com;" you mean "groups.google.com."

    no, i mean from: = "[email hidden]".

    groups.google.com would (did) work, but my isp's newsprovider
    (giganews?) for some reason is gorking on requests for organization:
    headers as of a few days ago.

    Filter on the [Message-ID:] header. Posts coming from Google always
    contain the string "googlegroups".

  14. Tom Sherman said:
    Quoted message said:

    The signal:noise ratio in this NG has gotten so bad lately that I'm
    tempted to raise the possibility of proposing that this be made a
    moderated group. If we could have moderators who would block the spam,
    the flamers, and the trolls in such a way that every individual user
    didn't have to, this group would be a valuable resource. As things stand
    right now, though, it's about 80% garbage.


    Look at what has happened to rec.bicycles.off-road since it became
    moderated:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.off-road/topics?hl=en&lnk=gschg>.

    Quoted message said:

    Lots of spam and hardly any on-topic content.

    Quoted message said:

    Moderate the group and it will die.

    Quoted message said:

    By the way, my news-server must block about 99% of the spam, since I am
    seeing only a handful of spam posts each day.

    For your edification, here is one page of the posts in this NG as I saw
    it when I came aboard today:

    20 o 89 Wholesale Pulsar-Tech-Gear-Mens-Watc
    jewelry052@jewelry-w
    21 o 92 Wholesale Baume-8254 Cheapest
    jewelry070@jewelry-w
    22 o 99 Wholesale Baume-Mercier-Capeland-Lad
    jewelry091@jewelry-w
    23 o 23 wholesale any brandsname handbags is replica watch
    24 o 94 Wholesale Baume-Mercier-Mens-Watch-8
    wxs010@watchesprice.
    25 o 107 Breitling Windrider Chronomat Evolut
    wxs063@watchesprice.
    26 o 97 Ebel Brasilia Steel Brown Mens Watch
    wxs083@watchesprice.
    27 o 3 332 good quality artful dudger wholesal
    [email hidden]
    28 o 76 Wholesale Skagen Performance Watches
    wholesale007@watches
    29 o 318 Sneakers,Shoes Jordan's Wholesale (
    [email hidden]
    30 o 87 Wholesale Bedat-384.011.600 Cheapest
    wholesale049@watches
    31 o 3 Bike Jump Into Lake = Broken Nose C J Viral
    32 o 45 AAA Replica YSL Muse Oversized Bag i
    dingxiaojie1002@gmai
    33 o 2 50 "good chance for .net & java profess
    cfotechsolution1@gma
    34 o 47 Hot ! ! ! china discount cheap mauri
    [email hidden]
    35 o 2 288 china Factory Customize Wholesale:Ni emily
    36 o 2 Bikes in LA cmcanulty
    37 o 98 accept paypal www.tradertrade.com wh shoesbbs
    38 1 Kook subject line fixed John Dorsay

    ... In all that I believe I see two, possibly three actual
    bike-related, worthwhile posts. I'm not sure how blocking all that [censored]
    would constitute a "dying" group.
    The second-worst problem with this group is a certain troll and those
    who feed his sick ploys for attention. I don't think I'd miss that
    either. Several knowlegable, amiable users have quit posting here becaue
    of those fools.
    I'm reminded of the old rec.humor.jewish, which was so laden with spam
    and racist posts, that there was almost nothing on it worth reading. The
    group went moderated, and now, while it is possible to log onto it and see
    only a handful of posts, in general (a) they contain Jewish humor, and (b)
    they don't make me sick to my stomach.
    Here's an alternative: create a new NG, rec.bicycles.moderated.
    Leave this one alone. Let the trolls troll, the flamers flame, and the
    spammers spam on this group. See which group becomes a resource for civil
    messaging and useful information, and which one is mostly garbage.
    I think it'd be worth a try.

    Bill

    __o | We gotta get better
    _`\(,_ | 'Cause we can't get worse.
    (_)/ (_) | --"Damn Yankees"

  15. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Moderate the group and it will die.

    I agree.

  16. catzz66 said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Moderate the group and it will die.

    I agree.

    And I agree. 😉

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  17. Quoted message said:
    Tom Sherman said:
    Quoted message said:

    The signal:noise ratio in this NG has gotten so bad lately that I'm
    tempted to raise the possibility of proposing that this be made a
    moderated group. If we could have moderators who would block the spam,
    the flamers, and the trolls in such a way that every individual user
    didn't have to, this group would be a valuable resource. As things stand
    right now, though, it's about 80% garbage.


    Look at what has happened to rec.bicycles.off-road since it became
    moderated:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.off-road/topics?hl=en&lnk=gschg>.

    Quoted message said:

    Lots of spam and hardly any on-topic content.

    Quoted message said:

    Moderate the group and it will die.

    Quoted message said:

    By the way, my news-server must block about 99% of the spam, since I am
    seeing only a handful of spam posts each day.

    For your edification, here is one page of the posts in this NG as I saw
    it when I came aboard today:

    20 o 89 Wholesale Pulsar-Tech-Gear-Mens-Watc
    jewelry052@jewelry-w
    21 o 92 Wholesale Baume-8254 Cheapest
    jewelry070@jewelry-w
    22 o 99 Wholesale Baume-Mercier-Capeland-Lad
    jewelry091@jewelry-w
    23 o 23 wholesale any brandsname handbags is replica watch
    24 o 94 Wholesale Baume-Mercier-Mens-Watch-8
    wxs010@watchesprice.
    25 o 107 Breitling Windrider Chronomat Evolut
    wxs063@watchesprice.
    26 o 97 Ebel Brasilia Steel Brown Mens Watch
    wxs083@watchesprice.
    27 o 3 332 good quality artful dudger wholesal
    [email hidden]
    28 o 76 Wholesale Skagen Performance Watches
    wholesale007@watches
    29 o 318 Sneakers,Shoes Jordan's Wholesale (
    [email hidden]
    30 o 87 Wholesale Bedat-384.011.600 Cheapest
    wholesale049@watches
    31 o 3 Bike Jump Into Lake = Broken Nose C J Viral
    32 o 45 AAA Replica YSL Muse Oversized Bag i
    dingxiaojie1002@gmai
    33 o 2 50 "good chance for .net & java profess
    cfotechsolution1@gma
    34 o 47 Hot ! ! ! china discount cheap mauri
    [email hidden]
    35 o 2 288 china Factory Customize Wholesale:Ni emily
    36 o 2 Bikes in LA cmcanulty
    37 o 98 accept paypal www.tradertrade.com wh shoesbbs
    38 1 Kook subject line fixed John Dorsay

    ... In all that I believe I see two, possibly three actual
    bike-related, worthwhile posts. I'm not sure how blocking all that [censored]
    would constitute a "dying" group.

    My news-feed filtered out all the above that was spam, while leaving the
    on-topic posts. Problem solved without moderation.

    Quoted message said:

    The second-worst problem with this group is a certain troll and those
    who feed his sick ploys for attention. I don't think I'd miss that
    either. Several knowlegable, amiable users have quit posting here becaue
    of those fools.

    Anyone who lets him/herself be driven off the newsgroups by "Micheal
    Edward van Dolanman" will not be missed. Grow a backbone, or get a
    kill-file.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm reminded of the old rec.humor.jewish, which was so laden with spam
    and racist posts, that there was almost nothing on it worth reading. The
    group went moderated, and now, while it is possible to log onto it and see
    only a handful of posts, in general (a) they contain Jewish humor, and (b)
    they don't make me sick to my stomach.
    Here's an alternative: create a new NG, rec.bicycles.moderated.
    Leave this one alone. Let the trolls troll, the flamers flame, and the
    spammers spam on this group. See which group becomes a resource for civil
    messaging and useful information, and which one is mostly garbage.
    I think it'd be worth a try.


    And when the moderators get too busy to check posts, the regulars will
    get frustrated and give up. This is what happened to
    rec.bicycles.off-road when the group went moderated to ban Mikey V.

    Furthermore, what is to prevent "nanny" moderators for killing anything
    of interest.

    POST FREE OR DIE!

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    POST FREE OR DIE!

  18. Ron Wallenfang said:
    max said:

    Rather than whitelisting gmail or simply invoking the death penalty on
    it, i've found a few keywords seem to particularly effective.

    I like to nuke subjects or authors containing the strings:

    buy
    cheap
    china
    discount
    handbag
    replica
    sales
    shoe
    watch
    wholesale

    I i've also noticed good results subject-filtering on:
    www
    .com (".com", with the dot)
    paypal

    the combinations did a nice job on 1000 articles from here, with no
    obvious false hits, and no misses. ymmv.

    --
    This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
    their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

    I think the exchanges on this topic are assuming knowledge some of us
    (me, anyway) don't have. Namely, what are the basics? How do you set
    up a filter? How do you filter only stuff on the newsgroup(s)?
    Where do you look for step by step instructions?

    The easiest solution is to get a news-feed that filters out all the "hi,
    I sells nike shoe" posts.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    POST FREE OR DIE!

  19. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    | Tom Sherman <[email hidden]> wrote:
    | > [email hidden] wrote:
    | > > The signal:noise ratio in this NG has gotten so bad lately that I'm
    | > > tempted to raise the possibility of proposing that this be made a
    | > > moderated group. If we could have moderators who would block the
    spam,
    | > > the flamers, and the trolls in such a way that every individual user
    | > > didn't have to, this group would be a valuable resource. As things
    stand
    | > > right now, though, it's about 80% garbage.
    | > >
    | > Look at what has happened to rec.bicycles.off-road since it became
    | > moderated:
    | >
    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.off-road/topics?hl=en&lnk=gschg>.
    |
    | > Lots of spam and hardly any on-topic content.
    |
    | > Moderate the group and it will die.
    |
    | > By the way, my news-server must block about 99% of the spam, since I am
    | > seeing only a handful of spam posts each day.
    |
    | For your edification, here is one page of the posts in this NG as I saw
    | it when I came aboard today:

    looks like you need a new newsreader and/or a respectable ISP

    |
    | 20 o 89 Wholesale Pulsar-Tech-Gear-Mens-Watc
    | jewelry052@jewelry-w
    | 21 o 92 Wholesale Baume-8254 Cheapest
    | jewelry070@jewelry-w
    | 22 o 99 Wholesale Baume-Mercier-Capeland-Lad
    | jewelry091@jewelry-w
    | 23 o 23 wholesale any brandsname handbags is replica watch
    | 24 o 94 Wholesale Baume-Mercier-Mens-Watch-8
    | wxs010@watchesprice.
    | 25 o 107 Breitling Windrider Chronomat Evolut
    | wxs063@watchesprice.
    | 26 o 97 Ebel Brasilia Steel Brown Mens Watch
    | wxs083@watchesprice.
    | 27 o 3 332 good quality artful dudger wholesal
    | [email hidden]
    | 28 o 76 Wholesale Skagen Performance Watches
    | wholesale007@watches
    | 29 o 318 Sneakers,Shoes Jordan's Wholesale (
    | [email hidden]
    | 30 o 87 Wholesale Bedat-384.011.600 Cheapest
    | wholesale049@watches
    | 31 o 3 Bike Jump Into Lake = Broken Nose C J Viral
    | 32 o 45 AAA Replica YSL Muse Oversized Bag i
    | dingxiaojie1002@gmai
    | 33 o 2 50 "good chance for .net & java profess
    | cfotechsolution1@gma
    | 34 o 47 Hot ! ! ! china discount cheap mauri
    | [email hidden]
    | 35 o 2 288 china Factory Customize Wholesale:Ni emily
    | 36 o 2 Bikes in LA cmcanulty
    | 37 o 98 accept paypal www.tradertrade.com wh shoesbbs
    | 38 1 Kook subject line fixed John Dorsay
    |
    | ... In all that I believe I see two, possibly three actual
    | bike-related, worthwhile posts. I'm not sure how blocking all that [censored]
    | would constitute a "dying" group.
    | The second-worst problem with this group is a certain troll and those
    | who feed his sick ploys for attention. I don't think I'd miss that
    | either. Several knowlegable, amiable users have quit posting here becaue
    | of those fools.
    | I'm reminded of the old rec.humor.jewish, which was so laden with spam
    | and racist posts, that there was almost nothing on it worth reading. The
    | group went moderated, and now, while it is possible to log onto it and see
    | only a handful of posts, in general (a) they contain Jewish humor, and (b)
    | they don't make me sick to my stomach.
    | Here's an alternative: create a new NG, rec.bicycles.moderated.

    seems like you are the obvious choice to go ahead and do just that

    | Leave this one alone. Let the trolls troll, the flamers flame, and the
    | spammers spam on this group. See which group becomes a resource for civil
    | messaging and useful information, and which one is mostly garbage.

    that would also remove from this group some/all of the whingers

    | I think it'd be worth a try.

    so go ahead and do it

    ---

    ~~~ ~ _@
    ~~ ~ _- \,
    ~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

  20. Ron Wallenfang said:

    I think the exchanges on this topic are assuming knowledge some of us
    (me, anyway) don't have. Namely, what are the basics? How do you set
    up a filter? How do you filter only stuff on the newsgroup(s)?
    Where do you look for step by step instructions?

    <http://improve-usenet.org/>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.