Kirsten Gum on OLN

timdodge

Feb 1, 2004
So what's the deal with KG? Did she pull a Greta Van Susteren and get major plastic surgery? Can anyone provide a side-by-side comparison of pictures from last season and this season?

My wife commented first, and it does seem as though there is more going on than just a new hair style. Of course she comes across as ignorant about cycling as ever, so I suppose some things never change. For whatever reason OLN has decided that she provides a connection to cycling that the audience needs (never mind that she used to announce NASCAR, at least before her DUI). At least we can look forward to Bobke poking fun at her during the TdF...

I did think she looked a little different from last season. Still has the annoying voice! I was so excited about the "Road to the Tour" show until I hear her voice! When she announced all the riders they were going to be following she tried to do accents and everything. She sounded like such a jerk. I just hope she doesnt do as much of the Tour as last year...I bet she did get surgery or something too...it wouldnt be a shocker if she did!

She seems like a nice, smooth talker to me, and pleasant on the eyes.

the rack is a nice change of pace...keep her...drop Al G. and even Bob Roll for all I care.

OLN is a crappy network! This channel delivers shows about fishing and hunting, no offence to those who enjoy those things. The Tour is the largest annual sporty event in the world! I wish ESPN or FOX Sports would pick up coverage on the Tour. Kirsten Gum is alright, but imagine the sort of hosts these bigger networks could deliver.

Sorry to disagree but OLN has been great; showing the tour coverage 4-5 times a day, the lead-up coverage and the Lance Chronicles has been a stroke of marketing genius in the US marketplace. ESPN and FOX can't even find 10 minutes.

If they did buy the rights, it would be endless self-gratification of the Stuart Scott types with clueless dolts who know nothing about the sports they cover.

I can't even imagine ESPN finding on-air personalities who know the sport as well as Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwin.

BTW - If you read the SI article on Lance, look for him to grow as an on-air personality type. I belive he has a talent development contract with OLN and the Discovery Communications sponsorship can only help.

Maybe my tv looks and sounds different than others. I have always liked Kirsten Gum. She is nice to look at and seems to have done her homework before coming on the show. Or maybe I'm just not as smart as others, na, that's not it. Some others make themselves feel better by cutting others down.

brwbier said:
Maybe my tv looks and sounds different than others. I have always liked Kirsten Gum. She is nice to look at and seems to have done her homework before coming on the show. Or maybe I'm just not as smart as others, na, that's not it. Some others make themselves feel better by cutting others down.
Hey, I'm with you. But, if Kirsten is generating this much interest -- why are the producers not giving her more air time? Even the segments she was usually doing on the race coverage are being done by some dorky glasses wearin' guy?

As a matter of fact, I can't even find her on the roadside tour. Everytime I turn it on -- they're just showing the race again?

Honestly, I don't understand OLN.

I'm stuck here in Japan, far, far away from nice party girl blondes. I don't get too much of her coverage over here, as we only get the actual OLN race footage. No lead in or afterward. I dig her treats. I like it, I love it, I want more of it. I hadn't noticed the extreme makeover, nor do I care, she looks good I like to Party!! I only wish their were more pics out here on the web.

I wouldn't mind sharing my picnic blanket with her, some cheese, and a few bottles of bourdeaux. Cheers dear Kirsten, keep up the good work and give me a call over here in Sushi world!!:)

-=KingFisher=- said:
Even the segments she was usually doing on the race coverage are being done by some dorky glasses wearin' guy?

As a matter of fact, I can't even find her on the roadside tour. Everytime I turn it on -- they're just showing the race again?

Yeah, did anyone ever catch OLN's reason for killing the Roadside Tour segments? It sounded like they were gonna continue throughout the Tour, but they stopped. I watched most of the coverage except the prime time version. She was gone. I caught a snide remark from Trautwig on the first day, but I didn't think they would can her. Does anyone who went to the Tour know what happened? Was she bad enough that they canned her? They definitely go rid of the "Cutters".

I'm curious because her segments were a little bit too much pandering for me. I don't need to see ugly Americans in France and Belgium, I live in a college town. We have enough of them here.

My opinion is that compared to the world-class team of Liggett and Sherwin, the small-town circus act of Roll & Gum doesn't fly that well. Maybe that has something to do with it.

antoineg said:
My opinion is that compared to the world-class team of Liggett and Sherwin, the small-town circus act of Roll & Gum doesn't fly that well. Maybe that has something to do with it.
it's doesn't get any better than phil liggit that man is simply amazing! It's truly astonishing how much he knows and how he can predict stuff!

antoineg said:

I agree with your opinion, but I disagree with that as a reason for canning the whole Roadside Tour. Unless they're complete idiots at OLN, they'd know that P&P do such an outstanding job that it's hard to compare anyone else. Of course, they are doing a very specific thing with commentary and information that may not be the best thing for your average, say, housewife that doesn't ride a bicycle at all. I suspect that the whole reason for creating the Roadside Tour was to pump up viewership of a specific demographic. My question is, why would they switch horses mid-stream, and cut the segments all together? They were in the middle of the day here in the Pacific Standard Time zone. So, there wasn't much reason to make it go away here. No one but me would ever catch it on the screen. I imagine it's different in the Eastern Time zone though.

I'm just curious. Did she just completely botch the whole thing and get the sack?

antoineg said:
I thought Ligget was from cycling royalty last year... this year, I thought he just sounded tired and old... not a happy man... I couldn't believe Sherwin at the end of yesterday's final stage... he said something like 'although I visited Lance in the hospital when he had no hair, and no eyebrows, and was told he had only 3 months to live... I think he's the greatest Tour de France champion, but, Merckx is still the greatest champion'...

Someone enlighten me... what the hell makes this guy Merckx so great?

The man pulled himself back from the brink of death through science and determination when I would have just rolled over and died (and I'm no pushover)... he's put cycling on the map for an entire continent (Lemond who?)... he's an inspiration to cancer patients and cancer survivors world-wide (and others challenged with or without this specific disease)... and he's beaten the world's top athletes 6 years in a row, who tried to train as much as he did, who tried to gather and attract corporate sponsors as much as he did, and who tried to recruit a dream team...

So someone help me out... why would Sherwin (the schmuck) throw down cold rain on Lance's coronation... instead of just giving the man his due -- on his day.

Pat Lee said:
Yeah, did anyone ever catch OLN's reason for killing the Roadside Tour segments? It sounded like they were gonna continue throughout the Tour, but they stopped. I watched most of the coverage except the prime time version. She was gone. I caught a snide remark from Trautwig on the first day, but I didn't think they would can her. Does anyone who went to the Tour know what happened? Was she bad enough that they canned her? They definitely go rid of the "Cutters".

I'm curious because her segments were a little bit too much pandering for me. I don't need to see ugly Americans in France and Belgium, I live in a college town. We have enough of them here.
Thank you Pat... I thought it was only me... someone give us the scoop...

MGM said:
it's doesn't get any better than phil liggit that man is simply amazing! It's truly astonishing how much he knows and how he can predict stuff!
beg to differ... I found that Liggit would just say whatever popped into his head... with the coverage bouncing back and forth between the leaders, and chase 1, chase 2, and the peleton... everyone's trying to figure out what is going on... instead of telling us... he just kept guessing!... 'here's Basso being dropped by the peleton, no wait, it's Jan Voigt... no it's not team CSC... it's actually Robbie Mcewan, and he's not been dropped, he's sprinting for the King of the Mountain, I mean the blue jersey, no the... Paul help me out!

my favourite was Andreas Kloden has won this race... there's the move... no one can catch him... I could call the race too... if I just said what came off the top of my head... and then just kept correcting myself in real-time... astonishing!

well, i don't know about you... but, i feel better now.

-=KingFisher=- said:
Thank you Pat... I thought it was only me... someone give us the scoop...

Kirsten Gum,

I know you're out there. What happened to you? I hope you had a good time despite the bad things I've said. I'm just trying to understand the network's decision.

You may send me a private communiqué, s'il vous voudrez.