Road Cycling · Public discussion

Kirsten GUM's Predictions

Started by James Cagney · · Last activity · 25 posts · 4,623 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
14 July 2003
Last activity
17 July 2003
Original author
James Cagney
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,623
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Was I the only one that noticed how uncomfortable Paul and Phil were at the start of the tour when
    Kirsten was asking them questions? I thought Phil was going to start laughing right in the camera.
    The exchange was as smooth as sandpaper

    I love to hear OLN's new upcoming star give her daily predictions of the winner of the stage - Like
    she even knows who these guys are?

    I wonder what genius decided to throw her in the middle of the biggest bike race of the year with no
    knowledge or experience in cycling? Its certainly not her fault but if she talks about the bikers
    legs one more time, i am going to puke.

    It does seem that the producers at OLN have tried to limit her on air time and stupid questions to
    Phil and Paul - Poor Bob is stuck with her now.

    "OLN is honored and thrilled to play a part on this historic occasion celebrating one of the world's
    most electrifying sporting events," stated E. Roger Williams, president and CEO of Outdoor Life
    Network. "The Tour de France epitomizes the dedication and spirit of world-class athletes performing
    at their highest level – ideals which our network strives to capture in all of our programming."
    ALTHOUGH OUR ANNOUNCERS MAY NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHIMANO AND CAMPY, WE WILL DO OUR BEST!

  2. I brought this up earlier in this newsgroup about her lack of credentials and was scolded by most
    here in rbr. All I can figure is that they all so dazzled by her looks, that they would wish there
    was more Kirsten face time and less TDF.

  3. Callistus Valerius said:

    I brought this up earlier in this newsgroup about her lack of credentials and was scolded by
    most here in rbr. All I can figure is that they all so dazzled by her looks, that they would
    wish there was more Kirsten face time and less TDF.

    Thanks gawd you didn't ask for less time with the Captain, or the Tomb-Raider hottie Jolie...

  4. "James Cagney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Was I the only one that noticed how uncomfortable Paul and Phil were at the start of the tour when
    Kirsten was asking them questions? I thought Phil was going to start laughing right in the camera.
    The exchange was as smooth as sandpaper

    I saw that too. More than once in the last week or so.

    Quoted message said:


    I love to hear OLN's new upcoming star give her daily predictions of the winner of the stage -
    Like she even knows who these guys are?

    I wonder what genius decided to throw her in the middle of the biggest bike race of the year with
    no knowledge or experience in cycling? Its certainly not her fault but if she talks about the
    bikers legs one more time, i am going to puke.

    It does seem that the producers at OLN have tried to limit her on air time and stupid questions to
    Phil and Paul - Poor Bob is stuck with her now.

    I understand why the bring someone new in once in a while. I think she has the wrong attitude
    though. She should act like someone that is learning rather than pretend to "get it". She says
    very stupid things because (it appears to me that) she thinks she is expected to understand
    things already.

    Quoted message said:


    "OLN is honored and thrilled to play a part on this historic occasion celebrating one of the
    world's most electrifying sporting events," stated E. Roger Williams, president and CEO of Outdoor
    Life Network. "The Tour de France epitomizes the dedication and spirit of world-class athletes
    performing at their highest level - ideals which our network strives to capture in all of our
    programming." ALTHOUGH OUR ANNOUNCERS MAY NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHIMANO AND CAMPY, WE
    WILL DO OUR BEST!

  5. "James Cagney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Was I the only one that noticed how uncomfortable Paul and Phil were at the start of the tour when
    Kirsten was asking them questions? I thought Phil was going to start laughing right in the camera.
    The exchange was as smooth as sandpaper


    My gawd, can we get over the Kirsten Gum posts? I am so tired of reading every other post complaning
    about OLN's choice to choose her as an announcer. You guys are giving her more attention than the
    race for crying out loud. Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

  6. Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

    everyone in rbr is waiting for her to lift her shirt up.

  7. PREDICTIONS ARE FOR KIDS

    SHOW US YOUR [censored]!

    "James Cagney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Was I the only one that noticed how uncomfortable Paul and Phil were at the start of the tour when
    Kirsten was asking them questions? I thought Phil was going to start laughing right in the camera.
    The exchange was as smooth as sandpaper

    I love to hear OLN's new upcoming star give her daily predictions of the winner of the stage -
    Like she even knows who these guys are?

    I wonder what genius decided to throw her in the middle of the biggest bike race of the year with
    no knowledge or experience in cycling? Its certainly not her fault but if she talks about the
    bikers legs one more time, i am going to puke.

    It does seem that the producers at OLN have tried to limit her on air time and stupid questions to
    Phil and Paul - Poor Bob is stuck with her now.

    "OLN is honored and thrilled to play a part on this historic occasion celebrating one of the
    world's most electrifying sporting events," stated E. Roger Williams, president and CEO of Outdoor
    Life Network. "The Tour de France epitomizes the dedication and spirit of world-class athletes
    performing at their highest level - ideals which our network strives to capture in all of our
    programming." ALTHOUGH OUR ANNOUNCERS MAY NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHIMANO AND CAMPY, WE
    WILL DO OUR BEST!

  8. Why not hire one of the cute young female pros that isn't racing in July. Better looking IMO and you
    know they could kick most of our asses.

    "Callistus Valerius" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I brought this up earlier in this newsgroup about her lack of


    credentials

    Quoted message said:

    and was scolded by most here in rbr. All I can figure is that they all so dazzled by her looks,
    that they would wish there was more Kirsten face


    time

    Quoted message said:

    and less TDF.

  9. Yeah, the very fate of the world hangs in the balance with every character typed in the
    message board.

    Buzz off! Stay outta this thread if you can't dig it.

    "IamN2Speed" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "James Cagney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Was I the only one that noticed how uncomfortable Paul and Phil were at the start of the tour
    when Kirsten was asking them questions? I thought Phil was going to start laughing right in the
    camera. The exchange was as smooth as sandpaper


    My gawd, can we get over the Kirsten Gum posts? I am so tired of reading every other post
    complaning about OLN's choice to choose her as an announcer. You guys are giving her more
    attention than the race for


    crying

    Quoted message said:

    out loud. Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

  10. yeah baby, yeah

    lets see them corn fed boobies!

    "Callistus Valerius" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

    everyone in rbr is waiting for her to lift her shirt up.

  11. Lewdvig said:

    Why not hire one of the cute young female pros that isn't racing in July. Better looking IMO and
    you know they could kick most of our asses.

    Like Odessa Gunn?????????

    Quoted message said:

    "Callistus Valerius" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I brought this up earlier in this newsgroup about her lack of


    credentials

    Quoted message said:

    and was scolded by most here in rbr. All I can figure is that they all so dazzled by her looks,
    that they would wish there was more Kirsten face


    time

    Quoted message said:

    and less TDF.

  12. James Cagney said:

    Was I the only one that noticed how uncomfortable Paul and Phil were at the start of the tour when
    Kirsten was asking them questions? I thought Phil was going to start laughing right in the camera.
    The exchange was as smooth as sandpaper

    I love to hear OLN's new upcoming star give her daily predictions of the winner of the stage -
    Like she even knows who these guys are?

    I wonder what genius decided to throw her in the middle of the biggest bike race of the year with
    no knowledge or experience in cycling? Its certainly not her fault but if she talks about the
    bikers legs one more time, i am going to puke.

    It does seem that the producers at OLN have tried to limit her on air time and stupid questions to
    Phil and Paul - Poor Bob is stuck with her now.

    "OLN is honored and thrilled to play a part on this historic occasion celebrating one of the
    world's most electrifying sporting events," stated E. Roger Williams, president and CEO of Outdoor
    Life Network. "The Tour de France epitomizes the dedication and spirit of world-class athletes
    performing at their highest level - ideals which our network strives to capture in all of our
    programming." ALTHOUGH OUR ANNOUNCERS MAY NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SHIMANO AND CAMPY, WE
    WILL DO OUR BEST!

    I want Phil to stop talking about the bikers legs!

  13. "Callistus Valerius" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I brought this up earlier in this newsgroup about her lack of credentials and was scolded by most
    here in rbr. All I can figure is that they all so dazzled by her looks, that they would wish there
    was more Kirsten face time and less TDF.

    The thing is Ms. Gum does zero for me in terms of looks - honestly, i just don't think she is that
    hot. Put another way, her looks do not zero out her obvious lack of any cycling knowledge and
    broadcast professionalism. I have worked in the biz and understand the "Host" usually does not have
    much experience in the sport and is merely a manager of the "experts" The problem is her managment
    skills and basic lead in questions are so non-professional. She is either dating someone at the
    channel or knows someone at the top, because she would never get this job on pure talent. I am sure
    she does fine work in whatever she did before, but you can tell she is nervous and has no idea what
    to ask the boys! on the job experience i guess

  14. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    My gawd, can we get over the Kirsten Gum posts? I am so tired of reading every other post
    complaning about OLN's choice to choose her as an announcer. You guys are giving her more
    attention than the race for crying out loud. Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

    Your probably right - i am enjoying the coverage, just as long as she doesn't talk or ask stupid
    questions to Phil and Paul

  15. James Cagney said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    My gawd, can we get over the Kirsten Gum posts? I am so tired of reading every other post
    complaning about OLN's choice to choose her as an announcer. You guys are giving her more
    attention than the race for crying out loud. Just get over it and enjoy the coverage.

    Quoted message said:

    Your probably right - i am enjoying the coverage, just as long as she doesn't talk or ask stupid
    questions to Phil and Paul

    So the stoopid stuff with Bobke, hallowed be his anointed 7/11 head, is good?

  16. OLN is doing a fantastic coverage job, but using Kirsten Gum for color commentary is a stroll into
    the Twilight Zone. It is like using Terry Bradshaw to cover professional squash matches. But the
    decision to use Gum mirrors a general social trend - to treat news coverage, talk shows and
    sporting events like they are NASCAR events, and in doing so, appeal to the lowest common
    denominator to achieve the highest possible rating. OLN has made a great commitment to bike racing
    coverage, and done so with aplomp. A little tweaking, starting with " emergency gum surgery ",
    would make it even better!

  17. GreatCube said:

    OLN is doing a fantastic coverage job, but using Kirsten Gum for color commentary is a stroll into
    the Twilight Zone. It is like using Terry Bradshaw to cover professional squash matches. But the
    decision to use Gum mirrors a general social trend - to treat news coverage, talk shows and
    sporting events like they are NASCAR events, and in doing so, appeal to the lowest common
    denominator to achieve the highest possible rating. OLN has made a great commitment to bike racing
    coverage, and done so with aplomp. A little tweaking, starting with " emergency gum surgery ",
    would make it even better!

    Just don't remove the pirate guy and his fabulous beverage!

  18. Lewdvig wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    Why not hire one of the cute young female pros that isn't racing in July. Better looking IMO and
    you know they could kick most of our asses.

    Because Gum is professional TV presenter and reader and they are not.

  19. James Cagney said:

    "Callistus Valerius" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I brought this up earlier in this newsgroup about her lack of credentials and was scolded by most
    here in rbr. All I can figure is that they all so dazzled by her looks, that they would wish there
    was more Kirsten face time and less TDF.

    The thing is Ms. Gum does zero for me in terms of looks - honestly, i just don't think she is that
    hot. Put another way, her looks do not zero out her obvious lack of any cycling knowledge and
    broadcast professionalism. I have worked in the biz and understand the "Host" usually does not
    have much experience in the sport and is merely a manager of the "experts" The problem is her
    managment skills and basic lead in questions are so non-professional. She is either dating someone
    at the channel or knows someone at the top, because she would never get this job on pure talent. I
    am sure she does fine work in whatever she did before, but you can tell she is nervous and has no
    idea what to ask the boys! on the job experience i guess

    It's one thing that she doesn't know cycling, but she has no broadcasting skills it seems. She looks
    really nervous... stammering over words and fumbling sentences especially in segues back to the boys
    in the booth. But apparently she is having a busy summer doing other shows as well. I wonder how
    much she knows about sporting dogs and mountain climbing (he,he) ...

    facetheelements.comglobal extremes
    espn.go.comg tv desc sporting dog chron.html

    Ed

  20. "GreatCube" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    OLN is doing a fantastic coverage job, but using Kirsten Gum for color commentary is a stroll into
    the Twilight Zone. It is like using Terry Bradshaw to cover professional squash matches. But the
    decision to use Gum mirrors a general social trend - to treat news coverage, talk shows and
    sporting events like they are NASCAR events, and in doing so, appeal to the lowest common
    denominator to achieve the highest possible rating. OLN has made a great commitment to bike racing
    coverage, and done so with aplomp. A little tweaking, starting with " emergency gum surgery ",
    would make it even better!

    Ironically, Kirsten came from NASCAR (Fox) before OLN.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.