"Klein" brake bridge thickness

So: I am installing brakes on a Aluminum Schwinn built under license
from Klein, but find the 105 brake caliper bolt is too long in the
front. In rear, it is too short.And no, I don't have the front and rear
swapped. Would one (i.e. "I") need to install a shorter bolt in front
and longer in back, and if so is there a Klein standard? I suppose I
could shorten the front bolt and stick it on the rear, but that still
leaves us with adjusting the front size.
Every other bike I have worked on has managed to snuggle up to the same
sized caliper bolts. Any input gladly recieved.
Brian Plaugher
Guerneville, CA

> So: I am installing brakes on a Aluminum Schwinn built under license
> from Klein, but find the 105 brake caliper bolt is too long in the
> front. In rear, it is too short.And no, I don't have the front and rear
> swapped. Would one (i.e. "I") need to install a shorter bolt in front
> and longer in back, and if so is there a Klein standard? I suppose I
> could shorten the front bolt and stick it on the rear, but that still
> leaves us with adjusting the front size.
> Every other bike I have worked on has managed to snuggle up to the same
> sized caliper bolts. Any input gladly recieved.

The early Schwinn aluminum road bikes had a number of interesting "features"
(of which the most-objectionable was the internal expanding seatpost). I
don't recall the brake bolt length issue, but I think you've probably
already figured out some of the options... using a short bolt on both front
& rear brakes, and if the short bolt is a bit too short on the front, then
you can use a longer nut to reach down to it. Also, I suspect if you brought
it into a decent LBS, they wouldn't have too tough a time figuring out a
solution.

In any event, it's not a "Klein standard", just happens to be the way
Schwinn did it back then.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

[email protected] wrote:

> So: I am installing brakes on a Aluminum Schwinn built under license
> from Klein, but find the 105 brake caliper bolt is too long in the
> front. In rear, it is too short.And no, I don't have the front and rear
> swapped. Would one (i.e. "I") need to install a shorter bolt in front
> and longer in back, and if so is there a Klein standard? I suppose I
> could shorten the front bolt and stick it on the rear, but that still
> leaves us with adjusting the front size.
> Every other bike I have worked on has managed to snuggle up to the same
> sized caliper bolts. Any input gladly recieved.

Brake caliper centerbolts are made in three lengths.
Short 12mm for allen rear
Medium 32mm for allen front or nutted rear
Long 52mm for nutted front.

With the advent of humongous forks, an alternate long allen
nut (32mm vs. 12~15mm) was developed. Those can fit any
brake with m6x1 thread, obviating a new bolt for each
caliper model.

There are a few frames which require a medium rear bolt with
a long allen nut and your Klein may be one of them. Now that
you have the numbers you could measure! If you're 'between
sizes' a spacer (seating pad) may be added between caliper
and frame

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org