Road Cycling · Public discussion

Knaven HR data

Started by Gary · · Last activity · 32 posts · 2,223 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
24 July 2003
Last activity
28 July 2003
Original author
Gary
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,223
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–32 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Have you used such a HRM yourself or are you just guessing?

    Robert Chung said:

    "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Robert Chung said:

    I'm not quite sure how informative it is.


    Erm well, informative, in any case nice to have a look at for a minute.

    That's the issue in a nutshell, I think. The graphs are kinda pretty to look at but what do you do
    with them? I tend to think that the software that comes with HRMs and power meters is optimized for
    drawing nice graphs, but not so much for useful information.

  2. Gary said:

    Have you used such a HRM yourself or are you just guessing?

    I know he's not guessing, but I am interested to know what Robert thinks *is* much more useful than
    the graphs as they are now. I mean it's just the basic data, and it's slapped together in a chart
    against time cq. datapoint index; very basic maybe but I think Polar is right to not spend too much
    effort on different graph options. I guess you could very easily use Excel for example to plot every
    parameter against another, or different datasets in one graph, or other useful(?) gadgetery.

  3. "Gary" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Have you used such a HRM yourself or are you just guessing?

    It's a semi-informed opinion.

  4. "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I know he's not guessing, but I am interested to know what Robert thinks *is* much more useful
    than the graphs as they are now.

    Well, I think the graphs could be better but that wasn't my main point. Nor am I talking about the
    interesting questions that you can address with HR and power data which require extra analysis
    outside of the supplied software. I'm talking about something simpler.

    My main point is that it's hard to interpret HR and power data in isolation and the existing
    software packages make it hard to take those data out of isolation and put them into context. If
    you're doing a ride with laps or intervals, it ought to be simpler to compare segments to each
    other. If you often do the same training course, it ought to be simpler to have the software locate
    the right files and compare rides to each other, or segments of those rides. Looking at all of
    Knaven's data for the Tour would help to put more of that context on the table, but not all of it.
    The graphs don't make those kinds of comparisons easy.

    They look nice, though.

  5. "or different datasets in one graph"

    BTW: with the Polar software you CAN overlay different datasets on the same graph. Useful for
    comparing identical routes/sections/intervals/etc.

    Ewoud Dronkert said:


    Gary said:

    Have you used such a HRM yourself or are you just guessing?

    I know he's not guessing, but I am interested to know what Robert thinks *is* much more useful
    than the graphs as they are now. I mean it's just the basic data, and it's slapped together in a
    chart against time cq. datapoint index; very basic maybe but I think Polar is right to not spend
    too much effort on different graph options. I guess you could very easily use Excel for example to
    plot every parameter against another, or different datasets in one graph, or other useful(?)
    gadgetery.

  6. In article said:

    My main point is that it's hard to interpret HR and power data in isolation and the existing
    software packages make it hard to take those data out of isolation and put them into context. If
    you're doing a ride with laps or intervals, it ought to be simpler to compare segments to each
    other. If you often do the same training course, it ought to be simpler to have the software
    locate the right files and compare rides to each other, or segments of those rides.

    I agree. You have made some good "guesses" about possible HRM uses.

    I'd like to assign a "exercise type" or code to various forms of training and then recall all of
    them from the previous month, or compare them to last year.

    -WG

  7. "warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I'd like to assign a "exercise type" or code to various forms of training and then recall all of
    them from the previous month, or compare them to last year.

    Exactly. These are common database functions that none of the HRM and power meter software that I've
    seen have. You have to annotate them yourself, then scan through the comments yourself, then line up
    the appropriate segments and overlay them yourself. It's such a pain in the butt that no one does it
    on a regular basis. These are all things that the software ought to keep track of.

    But the graphs are pretty.

  8. Robert Chung said:

    It's such a pain in the butt that no one does it on a regular basis. These are all things that the
    software ought to keep track of.

    I get your point, and I thought as much earlier. However I agree with Polar's practice of only
    providing basic software. Like I said, people could probably meet their individual needs fairly easy
    (well I could anyway) with a general spreadsheet or database program. And it leaves a market for
    external applications.

  9. Andy Coggan !!!!!Ph.D.!!!! said:
    Quoted message said:

    ... (and keep in mind that the average is brought down by every second of coasting or
    soft-pedaling).

    yawn

    Watch out Doc, you get out of hand and I won't just *yawn* you, I WILL ****PLONK**** YOUR SORRY
    ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. "Precious Pup" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Andy Coggan !!!!!Ph.D.!!!! wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ... (and keep in mind that the average is brought down by every second of coasting or
    soft-pedaling).

    Quoted message said:

    yawn

    Quoted message said:

    Watch out Doc, you get out of hand and I won't just *yawn* you, I WILL


    ****PLONK**** YOUR SORRY

    Quoted message said:

    ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yawn.

    Andy Coggan

  11. "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I get your point, and I thought as much earlier. However I agree with Polar's practice of only
    providing basic software. Like I said, people could probably meet their individual needs fairly
    easy (well I could anyway) with a general spreadsheet or database program. And it leaves a market
    for external applications.

    Yeah, I sort of separate these things into analytical functions and organizational database
    functions. I'm not suggesting that Polar does much extra work on the analytical functions,
    especially since I mostly disagree with how much of it is done (and yes, I'm talking about the SRM).
    I think the software should do much more in database-like stuff for you.

    However, if there was one thing that would make comparisons across laps or rides a bit simpler, it
    would be to plot against distance and not against time.

  12. The Life of the Party said:


    "Precious Pup" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Andy Coggan !!!!!Ph.D.!!!! wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ... (and keep in mind that the average is brought down by every second of coasting or
    soft-pedaling).

    Quoted message said:

    yawn

    Quoted message said:

    Watch out Doc, you get out of hand and I won't just *yawn* you, I WILL


    ****PLONK**** YOUR SORRY

    Quoted message said:

    ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yawn.

    Oh yes, I see you need your sleep, and you shall have it old man.

    "When you are not pedaling, you are not delivering power." -- Andy Cooligan, phd

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.