Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Knee Pain

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 365 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 October 2005
Last activity
24 October 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
365
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've started to develop pain on the out-side of my left knee while
    riding. It first showed up late in a century and does seem sensitive
    to heel position (heel in = bad) No big changes in mileage or
    intensity this year but I did change out from a double to a triple
    (Sugino XD 600) over the winter. No issues on my other bike (campy
    Chorus double). I thought at first it was age and wear of shoes and
    pedals (both old and well-worn) and replaced those, but no change.

    Is this the wider q-factor or is something else likely to be at work.

    Larry

  2. Did you change pedals/shoes/cleats? Moving my cleats 2-3mm toward my heel
    made a huge difference for me.

    Mike

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've started to develop pain on the out-side of my left knee while
    riding. It first showed up late in a century and does seem sensitive
    to heel position (heel in = bad) No big changes in mileage or
    intensity this year but I did change out from a double to a triple
    (Sugino XD 600) over the winter. No issues on my other bike (campy
    Chorus double). I thought at first it was age and wear of shoes and
    pedals (both old and well-worn) and replaced those, but no change.

    Is this the wider q-factor or is something else likely to be at work.

    Larry

  3. I replaced the cleats 1st but it made no difference. New pedals and
    shoes - ditto. The only real variable I can see from last year is the
    new crank, which when measured outside to outside is coming in about
    20mm wider than the double it replaced.

    Larry

  4. Assuming your pedals, shoes and cleat adjustmants have not changed, you
    ae not pushing bigger gears, are using the same riding style, and did
    not suffer from knee pain before, I would say yes. Triple cranks do
    seperate the pedals slightly. Toe-in foot position would augment this,
    as far as your knees are concerned.

    Try loostening the mounting bolts and sliding the cleats closer to the
    outside edges of the shoes to compensate. Be sure to maintain the same
    foot angle as you had before you started feeling pain.

    - -

    Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

    "May you have the winds at your back,
    And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner
    http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  5. What about you? It may not be the bike ...I had the same problem 3 weeks
    ago...it's called tendonitis and it sucks!

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've started to develop pain on the out-side of my left knee while
    riding. It first showed up late in a century and does seem sensitive
    to heel position (heel in = bad) No big changes in mileage or
    intensity this year but I did change out from a double to a triple
    (Sugino XD 600) over the winter. No issues on my other bike (campy
    Chorus double). I thought at first it was age and wear of shoes and
    pedals (both old and well-worn) and replaced those, but no change.

    Is this the wider q-factor or is something else likely to be at work.

    Larry

  6. Quoted message said:

    I've started to develop pain on the out-side of my left knee while
    riding. It first showed up late in a century and does seem sensitive
    to heel position (heel in = bad) No big changes in mileage or
    intensity this year but I did change out from a double to a triple
    (Sugino XD 600) over the winter. No issues on my other bike (campy
    Chorus double). I thought at first it was age and wear of shoes and
    pedals (both old and well-worn) and replaced those, but no change.

    Is this the wider q-factor or is something else likely to be at work.

    Larry

    For an excellent article on dealing with cycling related leg, knee and
    hip pain see:

    http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

    I had been having some inside (medial), right knee pain for a few
    months. As per the sites suggestion for medial knee pain I inserted a
    pair of Shock Doctor Ulra² Low Profile orthotics into my cycling
    shoes. Within a week my symptoms had disappeared.

    Good luck!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.