Health Nutrition and Supplements · Public discussion

Knee Pain - Not IT Band?

Started by mhester · · Last activity · 14 posts · 2,589 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Health Nutrition and Supplements
Published
31 March 2004
Last activity
18 April 2004
Original author
mhester
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,589
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Several months after I started cycling again I redeveloped an old pain on the back right side of my right knee. I experienced this when I rode years ago.

    So I started wearing my neoprene knee brace again which prevents any pain during and between rides.

    Last month I was on a machine working my hamstrings and the pain started and hasn't yet gone away. Still using brace, but I can usually feel the slight pain unless I haven't ridden for several days.

    From the IT pics I see at http://www.csuchico.edu/phed/atc/Projects/ITband/ITBFS.html
    it doesn't look like what I'm experiencing is the IT band pain that afflicts many cyclists. My pain is more on the back side of the knee rather than right on the side. Maybe it's still IT related - I don't really know.

    I usually do decent hamstring stretches and have recently done an IT stretch (the crossing legs and leaning into a wall one).

    Questions are:

    1. How to get over the now chronic pain, and

    2. How to prevent this and stop wearing the brace.

    I've lowered my saddle about 1/2 inch already. Not sure if I should maybe move it forward or backward though.

    Any ideas?

    Matt😕

  2. I was thinking bursitis until you said it was more in the back of the knee. You still may want to try some stretches and see if that helps. If you have a tight tendon rubbing your bursa sack it could be getting inflamed from your pedaling motion.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by blowin mud
    I was thinking bursitis until you said it was more in the back of the knee. You still may want to try some stretches and see if that helps. If you have a tight tendon rubbing your bursa sack it could be getting inflamed from your pedaling motion.

    Thanks mud. I spoke to a friends duaghter who is a P.T. and she mentioned the bursa as well. Suggested more stretching (I already do stretch reasonably well), lowering seat and toeing in my foot.

  4. Hey there,
    I have on my left knee some swelling on the outside of it. What causes that and how do I deal with it? Thanks, Rob

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by blowin mud
    I was thinking bursitis until you said it was more in the back of the knee. You still may want to try some stretches and see if that helps. If you have a tight tendon rubbing your bursa sack it could be getting inflamed from your pedaling motion.

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Pursuit333
    Hey there,
    I have on my left knee some swelling on the outside of it. What causes that and how do I deal with it? Thanks, Rob

    Did you check out the link in my first post? You may have an IT band problem. THere are good pics on that link which shuold help you diagnose it. If it's IT band you need to stretch (well you should always do that anyway) and possibly lower your saddle. There are all sort of IT band sites just Google it for more info.

  6. I blew out my knee playing rugby. Rehabed on a bike and just started riding again. After long rides I used to have alot of pain. Been taking glucosomine w/msm for 6 months now. It has been said it raises blood pressure and mine has went up slightly. I am no longer feeling any pain in my knees or back. I take bout 1500 milligrams a day. Basically 2 pills per meal. It works like a charm but takes bout 90 days to fully get in your system. Walmart sells 140 pills for 6 bucks. Cheaper than tylenol without the possibility of building up tolerance to pain pills 😄 .

  7. I injured my knee playing rugby. I rehabed on a bike and use to have real pain when i rode. About six months ago I started taking glucosimine w/msm. I take bout 1500 milligrams a day, 2 pills per meal. It has been blamed to raise your blood pressure. I have notice a minimal increase, but I havent had any pain for 3 months. I will admit it takes bout 3 months to get fully in your system. I guess it rebuilds cartilege or something all i know no more pains and walmart sells it for 6 bucks for 140 pills.

  8. i posted twice connection failed sorry but same stuff said 😎

  9. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by jbzy
    I blew out my knee playing rugby. Rehabed on a bike and just started riding again. After long rides I used to have alot of pain. Been taking glucosomine w/msm for 6 months now. It has been said it raises blood pressure and mine has went up slightly. I am no longer feeling any pain in my knees or back. I take bout 1500 milligrams a day. Basically 2 pills per meal. It works like a charm but takes bout 90 days to fully get in your system. Walmart sells 140 pills for 6 bucks. Cheaper than tylenol without the possibility of building up tolerance to pain pills 😄 .

    What kind of knee pain did you have?

  10. it was a pain in the front and back of my knee
    partial patella problems and possibly some arthritis but seemed to stress it out after a long ride.

  11. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by mhester
    Several months after I started cycling again I redeveloped an old pain on the back right side of my right knee. I experienced this when I rode years ago.

    So I started wearing my neoprene knee brace again which prevents any pain during and between rides.

    Last month I was on a machine working my hamstrings and the pain started and hasn't yet gone away. Still using brace, but I can usually feel the slight pain unless I haven't ridden for several days.

    From the IT pics I see at http://www.csuchico.edu/phed/atc/Projects/ITband/ITBFS.html
    it doesn't look like what I'm experiencing is the IT band pain that afflicts many cyclists. My pain is more on the back side of the knee rather than right on the side. Maybe it's still IT related - I don't really know.

    I usually do decent hamstring stretches and have recently done an IT stretch (the crossing legs and leaning into a wall one).

    Questions are:

    1. How to get over the now chronic pain, and

    2. How to prevent this and stop wearing the brace.

    I've lowered my saddle about 1/2 inch already. Not sure if I should maybe move it forward or backward though.

    Any ideas?

    Matt😕

    Hi, do you have any sports clinics nearby you.................if so, then get yourself down to one n they'll be able to tell you exactly what is wrong, rather than you trying to guess, plus they can treat it either thru ultrasound/interferential therapy, massage and exercise rehabilitation................

  12. "...PAIN ON THE BACK RIGHT SIDE OF MY RIGHT KNEE."

    Is the pain just above or below the knee? If it is just above, then you're looking at your right outer-hamstrings.
    If it is just below - then it will more than likely be a muscle coming from below the knee, down the side of your calf.

    "LAST MONTH I WAS ON A MACHINE WORKING MY HAMSTRINGS AND THE PAIN STARTED..."

    This statement leads me to believe the pain will be coming from "just-above to almost right behind" the knee, meaning it is your right outer-hamstrings that are causing the pain.

    QUESTIONS ARE:

    1. HOW TO GET OVER THE NOW CHRONIC PAIN

    To get over the now Chronic Pain, you must go through more pain...

    You're muscles are tight, the bellies are tight and they're pulling the tendons, which are connected to the one.
    Stretching will help, yes, because it puts length back into your muscle - meaning the 'pressure' on the tendons will lessen.

    However, stretching is only PART of the solution - when you use your muscles and 'strain' them - that is going past their trained strength use - then the muscle will react and jam itself.

    You need to unjam this muscle through massage - particularly Deep Tissue Massage, if you can find someone.

    This muscle is a bugger and I have to work on mine almost everyday, unfortunately it goes by unnoticed by many.

    The easiest way for you to start unjamming it yourself is this:

    Sit on the edge of a wooden/hard table with your knees hanging over the edge, and the very edge of the table within at least 8cm of behind your knee. Now roll your leg slightly to the outside and then lean on it...

    2. HOW TO PREVENT THIS AND STOP WEARING THE BRACE

    KLARE said, "...ultrasound/interferential therapy, massage and exercise rehabilitation................"

    But unfortunately a Physio who uses ultrasound in these cases is a bit misguided, and again - unfortunately, the majority of them do.
    However, to prevent this injury - keep maintaining your muscle - get massage, especially Deep Tissue Massage regularly.

    NOW, read these posts:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t86579.html

    I've given you the exercise for your outer-hamstring in Qn1, but this will explain how to maintain your ITB and Quads (around the knee) too, and also explains about 'maintenance'.

    Finally:

    "I'VE LOWERED MY SADDLE ABOUT 1/2 INCH ALREADY. NOT SURE IF I SHOULD MAYBE MOVE IT FORWARD OR BACKWARD THOUGH."

    Saddle position is too hard to comment on without seeing you on your bike.

    However, I can tell you that moving the saddle forward will bring your quads into play a lot more - moving it backwards - your hamstrings.

    BUT, work towards prevention by maintaining your muscles!

  13. Hi.
    Using ultrasound on this problem will atually help in reducing any inflammation.
    Visiting a Sports clinic they will diagnose the problems thru ROM (range of movement) exercises, since it could be one of number of things.
    Yes, stretching will help as will a decent sports massage, but then again you will usually find Sports therapists/physios at a sports clinic who do this, they will also show you which exercise are more beneficil for you, plus perhaps introduce some sessions of PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilition), these exercise help to increase your flexibilty in the affected areas, plus the physio or sports therapist will be able to show you how to treat the problem effectively/correctly yourself.
    Good luck.................

  14. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Klare
    Hi, do you have any sports clinics nearby you.................if so, then get yourself down to one n they'll be able to tell you exactly what is wrong, rather than you trying to guess, plus they can treat it either thru ultrasound/interferential therapy, massage and exercise rehabilitation................

    THanks. Met with an orthopedist last week and was diagnosed with simple tendonitis. Told to stretch, stretch and more stretch and got some Vioxx. We'll see how that works after a month or so.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.