Knee Pain

Aelith

Jan 3, 2013
Hi there,

Ive been riding consistently for about 1 year. i generally ride between 60-150kms per week (2-3 rides). in the last few weeks i have been experiencing knee pain. im wondering if maybe my bike frame is too small for me. im 5'2" and have a 43 frame. i find the bike very comfortable though. would it be best to extend my seat and see if this reduces my knee pain? or get a larger frame. Also i haven't had a much time in the gym lately and maybe my pain is due to muscle loss?? any suggestions would be greatly received.thanks guys :)

Hi Aelith,
If you are getting regular knee pain, than for some duration of time stop cycling. Or use knee braces during cycling it may help. Another thing just apply icing on the joints which will reduce the pain.

thanks Henry. Ive only had the pain a few weeks. its not an intense pain just an ache. I haven't been out on my bike for over a week now. hopefully a rest has done the trick. if not i will try your other suggestions. thanks again :)

bike might be a little too small... I'm also 5'2" and ride a 48cm frame, but can ride up to a 50cm.

have you tried things like raising the saddle? do you ride with cleats? sometimes knee pain can be from lack of "float" in your cleats or just that they're not positioned efficiently under your forefoot.

some ppl do experience pain with too low of a saddle.. I know I do, but I have loads of knee issues as well. Go to your LBS and get fit