rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Kris Holm: How about some "legacy" support?

Started by Seager · · Last activity · 24 posts · 299 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
22 October 2007
Last activity
3 November 2007
Original author
Seager
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
299
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know I'm not the only guy out there sporting a sweet custom frame that
    was made several years ago for the profile hub. Many of us really want
    to buy your sweet Moment hub but can't due to bearing size issues.

    So, maybe on your '08 set you could offer a 40mm OD bearing option for
    us legacy users? I would would buy your product in a heartbeat - and
    several other people would to!

    A 160mm crank option would also be sweet (150 jumps to 165, wtf?), but
    I'd settle for just the bearings.

    Thanks!

    --
    Seager

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
    Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
    (http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. some non drilled rims and some better seatposts/seat stiffeners would be
    really nice as well... and 13 ga. spokes = 🙁 how much weight
    difference is there between 13 and 12 ga. spokes?

    -stephen- just posting concerns...

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><


    'YOUneedtoTUBE MYTUBE' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. True your wheel, keep all the spoke tight, then shut up. Don't go
    whining to Kris about how you did a twelve foot drop with loose spokes
    and damaged your rim.
    If you are breaking posts and seatbases, stop being cheap and get a
    thompson and CF base. Don't [censored] at kris when you overabuse a product.

    --
    Danni

    leo said:

    Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

    'My Trials Course'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64079)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Seager said:

    I know I'm not the only guy out there sporting a sweet custom frame that
    was made several years ago for the profile hub. Many of us really want
    to buy your sweet Moment hub but can't due to bearing size issues.

    So, maybe on your '08 set you could offer a 40mm OD bearing option for
    us legacy users? I would would buy your product in a heartbeat - and
    several other people would to!

    A 160mm crank option would also be sweet (150 jumps to 165, wtf?), but
    I'd settle for just the bearings.

    Thanks!

    Well, the profile hub is pretty darn good. I'm not sure why you would
    really need the Moment hub when you have a profile.

    For bearings, just go to http://www.bocabearings.com/ and buy them with
    whatever inside mm you need. You should be able to get the size you
    need.

    Regarding cranks...do you really need anything longer than 150? 🙂
    ..and if you really do, then 165's are better than the 'old 170 size
    that older KH24's came with (and I used those for a long time before
    switching to 150's on a new KH).

    -corbin

    --
    corbin

    http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    corbin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7561
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. spokes were tight... the first time i bent it jumping over something and
    landing the same height i jumped from. actually, i would like to see a
    well trussed drilled double walled drilled rim(drilled or not).

    also, a lot of people break seatposts, i don't have a problem with it
    personally, but i know that a whole lot of people break the seat
    stiffeners, and it is by far the weakest link on his unicycles.

    eh, nvm that part...

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><


    'YOUneedtoTUBE MYTUBE' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Danni said:

    True your wheel, keep all the spoke tight, then shut up. Don't go
    whining to Kris about how you did a twelve foot drop with loose spokes
    and damaged your rim.
    If you are breaking posts and seatbases, stop being cheap and get a
    thompson and CF base. Don't [censored] at kris when you overabuse a product.

    there is nothing wrong with suggesting stronger components. i think it
    would be sweet if kris made a reinforced seatpost like the qu-ax, and
    an undrilled rim like try-all does

    --
    Det-riot

    Jerrick said:

    I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and unicycles,
    and back to creepy horny men.

    Into The Blue said:

    Well personally I've never felt the urge to masturbate in public or
    where I work, so that show of self control is pretty much cancelled
    out.

    'MRIS!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2486qk)
    '1000th Post' (http://tinyurl.com/33shzt)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Det-riot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13823
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Det-riot said:

    there is nothing wrong with suggesting stronger components. i think it
    would be sweet if kris made a reinforced seatpost like the qu-ax, and
    an undrilled rim like try-all does

    +1 bit of an over reaction 🙄

    --
    thejdw

    I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!

    kington99 said:

    A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
    just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. Seager said:


    A 160mm crank option would also be sweet (150 jumps to 165, wtf?), but
    I'd settle for just the bearings.

    Thanks!

    the reals question is 137 jumping to 150
    maybe some nice oldschool 145's for us profile riders...🙂

    --
    torkerdx

    gordito8me said:

    it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
    but not really that fun.

    skianduniaddict said:

    never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy

    johnfoss said:

    Yes, being old makes you stupid.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    torkerdx's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12543
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Seager said:


    A 160mm crank option would also be sweet (150 jumps to 165, wtf?), but
    I'd settle for just the bearings.

    The difference between 150 and 165 is pretty dang subtle in practice.
    There's no reason to have another crank length between them.

    --
    tholub
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. corbin said:

    Well, the profile hub is pretty darn good. I'm not sure why you would
    really need the Moment hub when you have a profile.

    The thing is I want to upgrade from my suzue hub to splined and can't
    afford a profile. I've been trying to find a used profile hub for 2
    years. (Not kidding)

    Quoted message said:


    Regarding cranks...do you really need anything longer than 150? 🙂
    ..and if you really do, then 165's are better than the 'old 170 size
    that older KH24's came with (and I used those for a long time before
    switching to 150's on a new KH).

    I ride 150mm nimbus X cranks now and would really like just a little
    bit of added torque, but not the loss of speed that 165mm delivers. I
    do think there is a noticeable diff between 160 and 165, but not enough
    to warrant the huge price difference between profile and moments.

    --
    Seager

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
    Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
    (http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. slap 'these' (http://tinyurl.com/yvt53c) on a KH hub, shim them up to
    size(only 1mm small), and sell the KH bearings on the trading post.

    --
    zfreak220

    pshf.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. zfreak220 said:

    slap 'these' (http://tinyurl.com/yvt53c) on a KH hub, shim them up to
    size(only 1mm small), and sell the KH bearings on the trading post.

    Are those the correct width?

    --
    Seager

    'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
    Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
    (http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. I thought they were, but when I checked it turns out the bearings are
    12mm wide.

    --
    zfreak220

    pshf.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. I don't see how people fuss so much over 5mm of crank length. I ride a
    24x3 muni with 145mm cranks at school, and a 24x3 muni with 150s at
    home. I can't tell the difference. 170s are long, but that's the only
    jump I notice.

    I don't notice the difference between 140s, 145s, and 150s, either.
    Again, why whine about it? You guys do understand that a larger choice
    of products corresponds to higher general prices, right?

    Seager, I might have an extra profile hub for you (depending on whether
    or not I can resolve the issues I've got with my current one). It's got
    170mm cranks on it, though, which aren't the best, but do the job.
    E-mail me, and we'll see what we can figure out. onewheeler (att)
    gm(removethis)ail (ddot) com

    The 40mmvs 42mm bearing issue has already been discussed. the
    conclusion was that 20mmx40mm bearing are extremely hard to find, and
    the price of 17x40mm bearings was dramatically higher than that of
    20x42mm.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    (Shut up and ride)

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. zfreak220 said:

    I thought they were, but when I checked it turns out the bearings are
    12mm wide.

    hmm
    and shims do exist...

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><


    'YOUneedtoTUBE MYTUBE' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. I have no idea what the min. order size for custom ball bearings is.
    Maybe 5000+, before they could be sold for a reasonable amount. KH
    doesn't make bearings and get's the 22x42 size from Qu-ax, who figured
    they could supply the whole 22x42 market by getting a huge lot of this
    custom size from a bearing maker. The number of people who want 22x40
    is way smaller. Not that I ever checked, but to make a small run of 100
    bearings is likely out of the question in cost.

    I think if you take your frame to a machinist, they could hone out
    your bearing holders to 42 mm for 20 $ or so with a hone. This tool is
    commonly used to enlarge cylinder bores. It is put on a drill and spins
    around. If you can find one small enough, it should be a short job to
    hone out your holders.

    Or maybe you can buy one, and get work fixing everyone else's as
    well.🙂

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: 10418 ENGINE CYLINDER HONE.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/22962 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    feel the light
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    feel the light's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14551
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. Increasing the inner diameter in a bearing holder is a bad idea.

    They are thin enough as it is, I believe if they are honed, it will
    substantially weaken the frame.

    --
    Borgschulze

    'deviantART'
    (http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
    (http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
    issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. http://tinyurl.com/25ha25

    An engine hone is to big, but a brake cylinder bore hone will do
    fine, and it's cheap to !🙂

    Because less then 1 mm of metal needs to be removed from the frame and
    the shell, I would think that plenty of metal would remain to provide
    strength.

    --
    feel the light
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    feel the light's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14551
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. A big problem with the hone idea is if there are flanges on the sides of
    the holders, that may interfere with the hone. I guess it depends on
    what your holders look like.

    --
    feel the light
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    feel the light's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14551
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/65105

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.