Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Ksyrium freehub drag

Started by zencycle · · Last activity · 30 posts · 1,512 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 February 2008
Last activity
3 March 2008
Original author
zencycle
Posts
30
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,512
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 30
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know I'm going to get chastised by the opinionated elitist dorks in
    this forum who think the only good wheel is hand built by an LBS for
    this post, but I _do_ need some technical advice with regards to a
    freehub dragging issue. this is not the typical freehub drag that you
    see when you spin the wheel up in a workstand.

    On a recent trip to the north georgia mountains, I was descending
    hogpen gap and topping 50 mph, when the freehub on my 3 year old
    ksyrium SL started making a lowpitched squeal similar to an out-of-toe
    brake on the rim. I slowed enough so it was safe to look back, and the
    freehub was dragging/binding to the point where the chain had dropped
    in between the stay and the wheel, and the dérailleur had been forced
    into max tension. For the duration of the ride, on high speed
    descents, I was forced to ride the brakes and spin my 53x11. The
    previous three days had no similar incidents, including descents of
    Woody Gap, Wolfpen gap, Aska Road, and Brasstown Bald. I switched to
    my older Vector Pro (Hugi 240 hub) for duration of the trip.

    In the stand, there did not seem to be any play in the freehub or
    wheel bearings. Spinning the 53x11 as fast as possible by hand could
    not spin the wheel fast enough to elicit the failure, and notably
    there was only a _slight_ amount of drag when letting the wheel spin
    on its own after the crank stopped turning.

    The noise seems to be a bearing that had enough play to break into an
    oscillation. Of course, it may have been simply that the 80 mile ride
    in the rain the day before had effectively removed all the lubrication
    from the hub guts, and the high speed descent was forcing the bearing
    to bind.

    Has this occurred to others? Is it a MFG flaw? If it's excessive play,
    can it be compensated for by increasing the side load or does the
    design of the freehub prevent that? Will a simple rebuild and
    repacking solve the problem? I don't have any hills locally that I can
    sustain a 50 MPH descent for long enough to verify a repair, but if
    this is an indication of an impending failure, would appreciate some
    insight as to what steps can be taken to get prevent it.

    Wheel - Ksyrium SL ~ 3000 miles
    I weigh 140#
    Heavy rain the day before the failure
    Earlier the same day I descended wolfpen gap and brasstown bald with
    no incidents.

    Please don't respond if your only comment is that this is what I get
    for riding a ksyrium. I will respond in such instances with levels of
    vitriol and hatred that will cause your computer to blush and have you
    considering medication therapy.

    Thank you, and have a nice day.

  2. zencycle who? anonymously posts:

    Quoted message said:

    [...]
    Please don't respond if your only comment is that this is what I get
    for riding a ksyrium. I will respond in such instances with levels of
    vitriol and hatred that will cause your computer to blush and have you
    considering medication therapy.


    Why not get a decent quality Shimano or Campagnolo 36-hole hub and build
    it up with quality conventional spokes and rim?

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you, and have a nice day.

    I will have whatever type of day I please.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    "You have demonstrated to me that you are a piece of [censored] at
    this point...you demonstrated what a scumbag you are...you
    [censored]...You are a miserable creature." - Mr. Medara posting his
    opinion of Mr. Sherman on rec.bicycles.tech.

  3. zencycle said:

    I know I'm going to get chastised by the opinionated elitist dorks in
    this forum who think the only good wheel is hand built by an LBS for
    this post, but I _do_ need some technical advice with regards to a
    freehub dragging issue. this is not the typical freehub drag that you
    see when you spin the wheel up in a workstand.

    On a recent trip to the north georgia mountains, I was descending
    hogpen gap and topping 50 mph, when the freehub on my 3 year old
    ksyrium SL started making a lowpitched squeal similar to an out-of-toe
    brake on the rim. I slowed enough so it was safe to look back, and the
    freehub was dragging/binding to the point where the chain had dropped
    in between the stay and the wheel, and the d�railleur had been forced
    into max tension. For the duration of the ride, on high speed
    descents, I was forced to ride the brakes and spin my 53x11. The
    previous three days had no similar incidents, including descents of
    Woody Gap, Wolfpen gap, Aska Road, and Brasstown Bald. I switched to
    my older Vector Pro (Hugi 240 hub) for duration of the trip.

    In the stand, there did not seem to be any play in the freehub or
    wheel bearings. Spinning the 53x11 as fast as possible by hand could
    not spin the wheel fast enough to elicit the failure, and notably
    there was only a _slight_ amount of drag when letting the wheel spin
    on its own after the crank stopped turning.

    The noise seems to be a bearing that had enough play to break into an
    oscillation. Of course, it may have been simply that the 80 mile ride
    in the rain the day before had effectively removed all the lubrication
    from the hub guts, and the high speed descent was forcing the bearing
    to bind.

    Has this occurred to others? Is it a MFG flaw? If it's excessive play,
    can it be compensated for by increasing the side load or does the
    design of the freehub prevent that? Will a simple rebuild and
    repacking solve the problem? I don't have any hills locally that I can
    sustain a 50 MPH descent for long enough to verify a repair, but if
    this is an indication of an impending failure, would appreciate some
    insight as to what steps can be taken to get prevent it.

    Wheel - Ksyrium SL ~ 3000 miles
    I weigh 140#
    Heavy rain the day before the failure
    Earlier the same day I descended wolfpen gap and brasstown bald with
    no incidents.

    Please don't respond if your only comment is that this is what I get
    for riding a ksyrium. I will respond in such instances with levels of
    vitriol and hatred that will cause your computer to blush and have you
    considering medication therapy.

    Thank you, and have a nice day.

    best solution is to remove the freehub body and just clean everything
    up. sometimes, the ratchet pawls shed some metal particles, and they
    need to be cleaned out. reassemble with plenty of decent quality oil.
    should be fine after that. if you find the pawls worn, replacements are
    easy enough to buy - i bought some from peter chisholm.

    removal requires a [6mm?] allen wrench. grip the axle lock nut with a
    normal wrench, insert the allen and screw clockwise. when removed, the
    freehub body can then be pulled off. take care about not losing any
    pawls or springs!

  4. zencycle said:

    I know I'm going to get chastised by the opinionated elitist dorks in
    this forum

    Way to butter up your audience!

  5. zencycle said:

    On a recent trip to the north georgia mountains, I was descending
    hogpen gap and topping 50 mph, when the freehub on my 3 year old
    ksyrium SL started making a lowpitched squeal similar to an out-of-toe
    brake on the rim. I slowed enough so it was safe to look back, and the
    freehub was dragging/binding to the point where the chain had dropped
    in between the stay and the wheel, and the dérailleur had been forced
    into max tension.

    Please don't respond if your only comment is that this is what I get
    for riding a ksyrium. I will respond in such instances with levels of
    vitriol and hatred that will cause your computer to blush and have you
    considering medication therapy.

    Well, that's what you get for riding a Ksyrium :-)

    The inboard freehub bearing in the FTS-L design is a bush, not a
    roller bearing, and they wear out pretty fast. Rogue Mechanic has an
    article about this at
    http://roguemechanic.typepad.com/roguemechanic/2006/05/how_does_a_mavi.html

    The solution now is a replacement freehub, can be had for $53 online,
    so you LBS should be able to supply and fit for about $100. The longer
    term solution is to remove the freehub, clean and relube every month
    to extend the time before your new one fails the same way. The
    ultimate solution, as everybody knows, is to get a proper wheel.

    If it's gone horribly wrong and worn a groove in the hub shell (the
    bush rotates directly on the hubshell) you're essentially looking at a
    new wheel anyway, so take the opportunity to upgrade to something
    lighter, cheaper and more aero from a good wheelbuilder.

    This friendly advice brought to you from a satisfied Mavic wheel
    customer - they make some great ones, but the zicral spoked Ksyriums
    aren't among them.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  6. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:

    I know I'm going to get chastised by the opinionated elitist dorks in
    this forum who think the only good wheel is hand built by an LBS for

    Excellen start. You can look forward to much free advice
    and help achieving your goals.

    Quoted message said:

    this post, but I _do_ need some technical advice with regards to a
    freehub dragging issue. this is not the typical freehub drag that you
    see when you spin the wheel up in a workstand.

    On a recent trip to the north georgia mountains, I was descending
    hogpen gap and topping 50 mph, when the freehub on my 3 year old
    ksyrium SL started making a lowpitched squeal similar to an out-of-toe
    brake on the rim. I slowed enough so it was safe to look back, and the
    freehub was dragging/binding to the point where the chain had dropped
    in between the stay and the wheel, and the dérailleur had been forced
    into max tension. For the duration of the ride, on high speed
    descents, I was forced to ride the brakes and spin my 53x11. The
    previous three days had no similar incidents, including descents of
    Woody Gap, Wolfpen gap, Aska Road, and Brasstown Bald. I switched to
    my older Vector Pro (Hugi 240 hub) for duration of the trip.

    In the stand, there did not seem to be any play in the freehub or
    wheel bearings. Spinning the 53x11 as fast as possible by hand could
    not spin the wheel fast enough to elicit the failure, and notably
    there was only a _slight_ amount of drag when letting the wheel spin
    on its own after the crank stopped turning.

    The noise seems to be a bearing that had enough play to break into an
    oscillation. Of course, it may have been simply that the 80 mile ride
    in the rain the day before had effectively removed all the lubrication
    from the hub guts, and the high speed descent was forcing the bearing
    to bind.

    Has this occurred to others? Is it a MFG flaw? If it's excessive play,
    can it be compensated for by increasing the side load or does the
    design of the freehub prevent that? Will a simple rebuild and
    repacking solve the problem? I don't have any hills locally that I can
    sustain a 50 MPH descent for long enough to verify a repair, but if
    this is an indication of an impending failure, would appreciate some
    insight as to what steps can be taken to get prevent it.

    Wheel - Ksyrium SL ~ 3000 miles
    I weigh 140#
    Heavy rain the day before the failure
    Earlier the same day I descended wolfpen gap and brasstown bald with
    no incidents.

    Please don't respond if your only comment is that this is what I get
    for riding a ksyrium. I will respond in such instances with levels of
    vitriol and hatred that will cause your computer to blush and have you
    considering medication therapy.

    Thank you, and have a nice day.

    I think you should ditch the ksriums and get some good wheels.

    --
    Michael Press

  7. Quoted message said:

    Has this occurred to others? Is it a MFG flaw? If it's excessive play,
    can it be compensated for by increasing the side load or does the
    design of the freehub prevent that? Will a simple rebuild and
    repacking solve the problem? I don't have any hills locally that I can
    sustain a 50 MPH descent for long enough to verify a repair, but if
    this is an indication of an impending failure, would appreciate some
    insight as to what steps can be taken to get prevent it.

    Quoted message said:

    Wheel - Ksyrium SL ~ 3000 miles
    I weigh 140#
    Heavy rain the day before the failure
    Earlier the same day I descended wolfpen gap and brasstown bald with
    no incidents.

    Quoted message said:

    Please don't respond if your only comment is that this is what I get
    for riding a ksyrium. I will respond in such instances with levels of
    vitriol and hatred that will cause your computer to blush and have you
    considering medication therapy.

    I have no idea why you consider it necessary to insult people before they
    respond to you. The effect is basically a "free pass" in that you've already
    provided the response, so there's no harm, no foul in providing the
    provocation. Weird.

    The Ksyrium needs a LOT of maintenance. Thankfully, it's very easy to do.
    Every couple months or so it's a good idea to pull off the cassette
    mechanism, clean things up, and add some mineral oil. That's all there is to
    it. That should have been covered in the instructions that come with the
    wheel. If you don't take care of it, it will act precisely as yours did.
    Unfortunately, once it acts like that, it may be too late for routine
    maintenance, and you'll probably have to buy replacement parts because that
    plastic bushing (a REALLY bad design for those who don't take good care of
    things) gets damaged very easily.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "zencycle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    I know I'm going to get chastised by the opinionated elitist dorks in
    this forum who think the only good wheel is hand built by an LBS for
    this post, but I _do_ need some technical advice with regards to a
    freehub dragging issue. this is not the typical freehub drag that you
    see when you spin the wheel up in a workstand.

    On a recent trip to the north georgia mountains, I was descending
    hogpen gap and topping 50 mph, when the freehub on my 3 year old
    ksyrium SL started making a lowpitched squeal similar to an out-of-toe
    brake on the rim. I slowed enough so it was safe to look back, and the
    freehub was dragging/binding to the point where the chain had dropped
    in between the stay and the wheel, and the dérailleur had been forced
    into max tension. For the duration of the ride, on high speed
    descents, I was forced to ride the brakes and spin my 53x11. The
    previous three days had no similar incidents, including descents of
    Woody Gap, Wolfpen gap, Aska Road, and Brasstown Bald. I switched to
    my older Vector Pro (Hugi 240 hub) for duration of the trip.

    In the stand, there did not seem to be any play in the freehub or
    wheel bearings. Spinning the 53x11 as fast as possible by hand could
    not spin the wheel fast enough to elicit the failure, and notably
    there was only a _slight_ amount of drag when letting the wheel spin
    on its own after the crank stopped turning.

    The noise seems to be a bearing that had enough play to break into an
    oscillation. Of course, it may have been simply that the 80 mile ride
    in the rain the day before had effectively removed all the lubrication
    from the hub guts, and the high speed descent was forcing the bearing
    to bind.

    Has this occurred to others? Is it a MFG flaw? If it's excessive play,
    can it be compensated for by increasing the side load or does the
    design of the freehub prevent that? Will a simple rebuild and
    repacking solve the problem? I don't have any hills locally that I can
    sustain a 50 MPH descent for long enough to verify a repair, but if
    this is an indication of an impending failure, would appreciate some
    insight as to what steps can be taken to get prevent it.

    Wheel - Ksyrium SL ~ 3000 miles
    I weigh 140#
    Heavy rain the day before the failure
    Earlier the same day I descended wolfpen gap and brasstown bald with
    no incidents.

    Please don't respond if your only comment is that this is what I get
    for riding a ksyrium. I will respond in such instances with levels of
    vitriol and hatred that will cause your computer to blush and have you
    considering medication therapy.

    Thank you, and have a nice day.

  8. I disassembled the hub last night. There was very little wear on the
    freehub bushing, just a little dirt. I'm suspecting the obvious lack
    of lube was the culprit.

    But, as could have been predicted, the arrogant baboons with no useful
    information to add have responded with, that's right, no useful
    information. Take [censored] sherman, for example. Here is a man whose
    life is so empty and pathetic that he spends all day, every day,
    spouting unbiased opinion on a usenet group, rather than actually
    getting out and riding. perhaps if he spent more time riding than
    thinking about it, he might have more friends, and be able to develop
    more lucid, insightful responses

    Quoted message said:

    Tom Sherman
    zencycle who? anonymously posts:

    Does it matter? I could have posted my full name and addres, with cell
    and home contact numbers. They could have all been fake. Your name
    could be fake, I don't know, and I don't care. The level of respect
    you'll gain on an anonymous forum is not measured by revealing your
    ideentity. It's measured by comprehendable and intelligent discussion.
    Your track record shows very little of either. You consistently back
    yourself into a corner with ethereal opinions, and when challenged
    resort to insults rather than defensible discourse. You see, you would
    have posted the same useless advice if I had prefaced my message with
    a warning or not. Very helpful.....NOT. You clearly have low self
    esteem issues, possibly as a result of neglectful parents, or more
    likely that you picked last for dodgeball or didn't get GI joe with
    kungfu grip for your 10th birthday (the horror!). Whatever the case,
    your presence here is worth little more than entertainment value,
    which wears as quickly as a britney spear pop song, as you have about
    as much talent.

    Quoted message said:

    I will have whatever type of day I please.

    This only confirms your low opinion of yourself. Tommy, try doing
    something with your life, become a productive member of society. Time
    and time again you only re-enforce our impression that you possess the
    intellect and imagination of a neocon lemming, and you see where
    that's gotten us. Your mind is like a parachute tommy boy, it
    functions best when open.

    Quoted message said:

    Jim Beam

    Thanks JB, that's what I was looking for. I've noticed time and time
    again you provide reasonable non-contentious posts initially, but
    brainless [censored] like sherman can't stand that someone else may be
    right and attack the messenger instead of the message. You don't need
    to respond, you're better than that.

    Quoted message said:

    Bill Sornson
    Way to butter up your audience!

    I expected better from you bill, based on your history here. I'm
    disappointed. I had interpreted that your life was more fulfilled than
    you indicated by your horrible misinterpretation of my post. All
    you've done is waste everyones time. As clarification - You people are
    not my audience. I am yours.

    Quoted message said:

    Michael Press
    I think you should ditch the ksriums and get some good wheels.

    And I think you should spend more time on a bike, and less time _not_
    helping. Really mikey, over 850 posts during june and july last year?
    Your web activity went _UP_ during the summer? Hint - rinding in the
    summer is fun. Try it.
    Of course, this pales in comparison to shermans vacuous
    existence....over 1000 posts in november. I'm suspecting the activity
    only dropped in decemeber because his wife made him string up the
    lights and carry her purse on shopping trips on the promise that he
    might get sex for christmas. But, I'm guessing his balls are still in
    a pickle jar in the back of the fridge.

    Quoted message said:

    Kinky Cowboy
    The ultimate solution, as everybody knows, is to get a proper wheel.

    Thanks for the link and the info. I've been quite happy with these
    wheels. I been riding them on crappy new england roads, and to this
    point they have been trouble free. Not bad considering I've done _no_
    maintenance on them in two years. These wheels are ubiquitous in the
    masters peloton up here, a testament to their durability.

    Quoted message said:

    Mike Jacoubowsky
    I have no idea why you consider it necessary to insult people before they
    respond to you.

    Thanks for the maintenance tips mike. This is what I was looking for.
    My preface to the question was to point out that people like sherman
    and press will respond predictably with elitist and slanted opinions.
    If they really wanted to help, they would have responded more like
    kinky cowboy: tell me how to fix it, suggest alternatives. As I noted
    earlier, they would have responded with 'buy a new handbuilt wheel'
    with no advice on the question at hand regardless of how I framed my
    message. That's not helping.

    I won't be responding any further. I have a life, and a lot of that
    involves riding. In february in new england. I'm thinkin sherman and
    press need to get out more.

  9. zencycle (who?) anonymously snipes:

    Quoted message said:

    I disassembled the hub last night. There was very little wear on the
    freehub bushing, just a little dirt. I'm suspecting the obvious lack
    of lube was the culprit.


    Well good for you. You discovered maintenance works.

    Quoted message said:

    But, as could have been predicted, the arrogant baboons with no useful
    information to add have responded with, that's right, no useful
    information. Take [censored] sherman, for example. Here is a man whose
    life is so empty and pathetic that he spends all day, every day,
    spouting unbiased opinion on a usenet group, rather than actually
    getting out and riding. perhaps if he spent more time riding than
    thinking about it, he might have more friends, and be able to develop
    more lucid, insightful responses


    [Yawn]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Tom Sherman
    zencycle who? anonymously posts:

    Does it matter? I could have posted my full name and addres, with cell
    and home contact numbers. They could have all been fake. Your name
    could be fake, I don't know, and I don't care.

    Well, it is not. Sorry. 😉

    Quoted message said:

    The level of respect
    you'll gain on an anonymous forum is not measured by revealing your
    ideentity. It's measured by comprehendable and intelligent discussion.

    No, being anonymous means you can post anything without it affecting
    your reputation. How cowardly.

    Quoted message said:

    Your track record shows very little of either. You consistently back
    yourself into a corner with ethereal opinions, and when challenged
    resort to insults rather than defensible discourse. You see, you would
    have posted the same useless advice if I had prefaced my message with
    a warning or not. Very helpful.....NOT.

    No, I probably would have ignored the post if the arrogance had been
    missing.

    Quoted message said:

    You clearly have low self
    esteem issues, possibly as a result of neglectful parents, or more
    likely that you picked last for dodgeball or didn't get GI joe with
    kungfu grip for your 10th birthday (the horror!). Whatever the case,
    your presence here is worth little more than entertainment value,
    which wears as quickly as a britney spear pop song, as you have about
    as much talent.


    Says the person with so little self-esteem that he/she is afraid to use
    his/her real name.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I will have whatever type of day I please.

    This only confirms your low opinion of yourself. Tommy, try doing
    something with your life, become a productive member of society. Time
    and time again you only re-enforce our impression that you possess the
    intellect and imagination of a neocon lemming, and you see where
    that's gotten us. Your mind is like a parachute tommy boy, it
    functions best when open.

    In all likelihood I work more hours and get more done than the anonymous
    sniper.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Jim Beam

    Thanks JB, that's what I was looking for. I've noticed time and time
    again you provide reasonable non-contentious posts initially, but
    brainless [censored] like sherman can't stand that someone else may be
    right and attack the messenger instead of the message. You don't need
    to respond, you're better than that.


    Oooh, sucking up to the "jim beam" sock puppet.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Bill Sornson
    Way to butter up your audience!

    I expected better from you bill, based on your history here. I'm
    disappointed. I had interpreted that your life was more fulfilled than
    you indicated by your horrible misinterpretation of my post. All
    you've done is waste everyones time. As clarification - You people are
    not my audience. I am yours.


    Oh please.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Michael Press
    I think you should ditch the ksriums and get some good wheels.

    And I think you should spend more time on a bike, and less time _not_
    helping. Really mikey, over 850 posts during june and july last year?
    Your web activity went _UP_ during the summer? Hint - rinding in the
    summer is fun. Try it.
    Of course, this pales in comparison to shermans vacuous
    existence....over 1000 posts in november. I'm suspecting the activity
    only dropped in decemeber because his wife made him string up the
    lights and carry her purse on shopping trips on the promise that he
    might get sex for christmas. But, I'm guessing his balls are still in
    a pickle jar in the back of the fridge.


    Sorry, no cash sucking, ball and chain here. 🙂

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Kinky Cowboy
    The ultimate solution, as everybody knows, is to get a proper wheel.

    Thanks for the link and the info. I've been quite happy with these
    wheels. I been riding them on crappy new england roads, and to this
    point they have been trouble free. Not bad considering I've done _no_
    maintenance on them in two years. These wheels are ubiquitous in the
    masters peloton up here, a testament to their durability.


    More likely a testament to Mavic's marketing of their European Heritage
    & Mystique®.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Mike Jacoubowsky
    I have no idea why you consider it necessary to insult people before they
    respond to you.

    Thanks for the maintenance tips mike. This is what I was looking for.
    My preface to the question was to point out that people like sherman
    and press will respond predictably with elitist and slanted opinions.
    If they really wanted to help, they would have responded more like
    kinky cowboy: tell me how to fix it, suggest alternatives. As I noted
    earlier, they would have responded with 'buy a new handbuilt wheel'
    with no advice on the question at hand regardless of how I framed my
    message. That's not helping.


    butbutbut, a proper wheel would be a better choice - more reliable,
    lower weight and less aerodynamic drag than the overpriced Mavic box wheel.

    Quoted message said:

    I won't be responding any further.

    Boo hoo. 😉

    Quoted message said:

    I have a life, and a lot of that
    involves riding. In february in new england. I'm thinkin sherman and
    press need to get out more.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

  10. zencycle said:

    I disassembled the hub last night. There was very little wear on the
    freehub bushing, just a little dirt. I'm suspecting the obvious lack
    of lube was the culprit.

    Yes that was most likely. I am always surprised how much noise that can
    make. Take it apart more often. It's easy.

    Lou

  11. Tom Sherman said:

    zencycle (who?) anonymously snipes:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Kinky Cowboy
    The ultimate solution, as everybody knows, is to get a proper wheel.

    Thanks for the link and the info. I've been quite happy with these
    wheels. I been riding them on crappy new england roads, and to this
    point they have been trouble free. Not bad considering I've done _no_
    maintenance on them in two years. These wheels are ubiquitous in the
    masters peloton up here, a testament to their durability.


    More likely a testament to Mavic's marketing of their European Heritage
    & Mystique®.

    Testament to a lot of people being fooled into thinking lighter is
    better, which is why Mavic came up with those sucky Zicral spokes (and
    now the even worse R-Sys) and FTS-L freehub.

    If you must have a Mavic box wheel, I bet the Cosmic Elite is faster
    than the Ksyriums in everything except a pure hill climb, although
    it's so cheap that nobody ever tests them side by side, and you're
    still stuck with the monthly FTS-L maintenance.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  12. zencycle wrote:
    <snip for clarity>

    Quoted message said:

    But, I'm guessing his balls are still in
    a pickle jar in the back of the fridge.

    potm!

  13. zencycle said:
    Quoted message said:

    Bill Sornson
    Way to butter up your audience!

    I expected better from you bill, based on your history here. I'm
    disappointed. I had interpreted that your life was more fulfilled than
    you indicated by your horrible misinterpretation of my post.

    Dude, context matters. Your OP-ening line was, "I know I'm going to get
    chastised by the opinionated elitist dorks in
    this forum" -- so I quoted that (and that only) and made a little poke-joke.
    How you could turn that into a "misinterpretation" of your post is baffling,
    to put it kindly.

    Lighten up, Zenster!

    BS

  14. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:
    Quoted message said:

    Michael Press
    I think you should ditch the ksriums and get some good wheels.

    And I think you should spend more time on a bike, and less time _not_
    helping. Really mikey, over 850 posts during june and july last year?
    Your web activity went _UP_ during the summer? Hint - rinding in the
    summer is fun. Try it.

    I am here to help, regardless of the severe limitation
    it puts on my cycling time. Anyway, we have year around
    cycling weather here.

    Quoted message said:

    Of course, this pales in comparison to shermans vacuous
    existence....over 1000 posts in november. I'm suspecting the activity
    only dropped in decemeber because his wife made him string up the
    lights and carry her purse on shopping trips on the promise that he
    might get sex for christmas. But, I'm guessing his balls are still in
    a pickle jar in the back of the fridge.

    You could not bestir yourself to reply individually.
    Obviously a troll with many important things to do,
    so many that he must budget his trolling time.
    Do not let me detain you.

    You left out the obvious sarcasm to your obvious trolling.

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:

    I know I'm going to get chastised by the opinionated elitist dorks in
    this forum who think the only good wheel is hand built by an LBS for

    Excellen start. You can look forward to much free advice
    and help achieving your goals.

    --
    Michael Press

  15. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:
    Quoted message said:

    Michael Press
    I think you should ditch the ksriums and get some good wheels.

    And I think you should spend more time on a bike, and less time _not_
    helping. Really mikey, over 850 posts during june and july last year?
    Your web activity went _UP_ during the summer? Hint - rinding in the
    summer is fun. Try it.

    You misspelled my name.
    I looked it up. 266 articles to rbt in June and July 2007.
    677 articles total, but google counts one article for each
    cross-posted group. Also there is a Michael Press
    who is not I.
    <[email hidden]>

    You are misleading us.

    --
    Michael Press

  16. zencycle said:


    On a recent trip to the north georgia mountains, I was descending
    hogpen gap and topping 50 mph, when the freehub on my 3 year old
    ksyrium SL started making a lowpitched squeal similar to an out-of-toe
    brake on the rim. I slowed enough so it was safe to look back, and the
    freehub was dragging/binding to the point where the chain had dropped
    in between the stay and the wheel, and the dérailleur had been forced
    into max tension.

    The only time I've had a similar issue was when I mis-reassembled a 2000
    Campy Chorus hub, having never had campy stuff before. I had gotten
    grease in the pawls of the freehub, instead of oil, and that was enough
    to cause the same symptoms. I solved it by cleaning the pawls and
    oiling them. I was surprised at how little drag was necessary to mess
    things up.

    -- Rob

  17. Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:
    Quoted message said:

    Michael Press
    I think you should ditch the ksriums and get some good wheels.

    Quoted message said:

    And I think you should spend more time on a bike, and less time _not_
    helping. Really mikey, over 850 posts during june and july last year?
    Your web activity went _UP_ during the summer? Hint - rinding in the
    summer is fun. Try it.

    You misspelled my name.
    I looked it up. 266 articles to rbt in June and July 2007.
    677 articles total, but google counts one article for each
    cross-posted group. Also there is a Michael Press
    who is not I.
    <[email hidden]>

    You are misleading us.

    --
    Michael Press

    Nope, I clicked on the link next to your name, the one that says 'view
    profile'. It sends you here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?hl=en&enc_user=19dbURIAAABh5CCktiP689qkVHUAtk8epbyajUBv9M9XLUB2gqkZmQ

    mike press aka [email hidden] posted over 1300 messages in may
    june, and july of 2007. Prime riding months. 'Tis not I guilty of the
    misinformation.

    get out more, big fella.

  18. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:

    >Michael Press
    >I think you should ditch the ksriums and get some good wheels.

    Quoted message said:

    And I think you should spend more time on a bike, and less time _not_
    helping. Really mikey, over 850 posts during june and july last year?
    Your web activity went _UP_ during the summer? Hint - rinding in the
    summer is fun. Try it.

    You misspelled my name.
    I looked it up. 266 articles to rbt in June and July 2007.
    677 articles total, but google counts one article for each
    cross-posted group. Also there is a Michael Press
    who is not I.
    <[email hidden]>

    You are misleading us.

    Nope, I clicked on the link next to your name, the one that says 'view
    profile'. It sends you here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?hl=en&enc_user=19dbURIAAABh5CCktiP689qkVHUAtk8epbyajUBv9M9XLUB2gqkZmQ

    mike press aka [email hidden] posted over 1300 messages in may
    june, and july of 2007. Prime riding months. 'Tis not I guilty of the
    misinformation.

    get out more, big fella.

    You misspelled my name.
    You cherry picked the three largest numbers.
    All months are prime riding months here.

    --
    Michael Press

  19. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:
    Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    zencycle said:

    >Michael Press
    >I think you should ditch the ksriums and get some good wheels.

    Quoted message said:

    And I think you should spend more time on a bike, and less time _not_
    helping. Really mikey, over 850 posts during june and july last year?
    Your web activity went _UP_ during the summer? Hint - rinding in the
    summer is fun. Try it.

    You misspelled my name.
    I looked it up. 266 articles to rbt in June and July 2007.
    677 articles total, but google counts one article for each
    cross-posted group. Also there is a Michael Press
    who is not I.
    <[email hidden]>

    You are misleading us.

    Nope, I clicked on the link next to your name, the one that says 'view
    profile'. It sends you here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?hl=en&enc_user=19dbURIAAABh5CCktiP689qkVHUAtk8epbyajUBv9M9XLUB2gqkZmQ

    Something about this link puzzles me.
    June 2007 shows 424. Clicking on the
    `424' brings up a page that reads
    ` Results 1 - 10 of 263 from Jun 1, 2007 to Jun 30, 2007 for author'
    Can you explain the disparity between 424 and 263?
    A normal author search shows 262 articles posted.
    <http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=100&scoring=r&hl=en&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=rubrum%40pacbell.net&lr=&as_qdr=&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=6&as_miny=2007&as_maxd=1&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=2007&safe=off>

    I just now clicked on the `424' again and it showed 259 posts.

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] posted over 1300 messages in may
    june, and july of 2007. Prime riding months. 'Tis not I guilty of the
    misinformation.

    Your assertion of 1300 messages is based on gg's report
    and they were unable to actually bring up 424 messages
    for June 2007. You may not be guilty but you spread
    misinformation.

    --
    Michael Press

  20. On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:12:45 -0800, Michael Press <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    [snip confusion]

    Dear Michael,

    This is for your posts in _all_ Google Groups, not just RBT:

    http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?hl=en&show=more&enc_user=19dbURIAAABh5CCktiP689qkVHUAtk8epbyajUBv9M9XLUB2gqkZmQ&group=

    That shows 424 posts to all groups in June, 2007.

    ***

    You can limit posts to RBT with the menu near the top.

    http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?hl=en&show=more&enc_user=19dbURIAAABh5CCktiP689qkVHUAtk8epbyajUBv9M9XLUB2gqkZmQ&group=rec.bicycles.tech

    That shows 124 RBT posts in June, 2007.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.