LA Hospital death camp due to blacks

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by George Orwell, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION HOSPITAL LIKE A NAZI DEATH CAMP

    Keep in mind that when the hopelessly left LATimes points a finger at a Black anything the situation
    must be awful. This hospital is staffed by blacks, blacks who are where they are because they have
    been "given" medical degrees, nursing degrees and so on. This is what will happen to you when the
    low end of the intellectual class becomes doctors. It is a horror story and it will continue BECAUSE
    THEY ARE BLACK.

    Nurses at a public hospital serving the poor in south Los Angeles left critically ill patients
    alone for hours and were ordered to lie about patients' conditions

    nurses failed in providing basic patient care, doctors allowed problems to fester and Los
    Angeles County was guilty of poor oversight at Martin Luther King Jr.-Drew Medical Center.

    Five patients died at the hospital last year after what were determined to have been grave
    errors by staff members, according to the unreleased Medicare and Medicaid Services report.

    The others include Oluchi McDonald, 20, who was found on the floor in a pool of his own vomit,
    suffering intestinal gangrene.

    Let's hear it for affirmative action in Medical Schools. No rich liberals EVER go to places like
    Martin Luther King Hospital.

    Tags:

  2. Massa_justin

    Massa_justin Guest

    "George Orwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > AFFIRMATIVE ACTION HOSPITAL LIKE A NAZI DEATH CAMP

    http://tinyurl.com/2m48x

    Will Grim Saga of Hospital Ever End?

    The body count is up to five.

    That's how many people have died at Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center in the last year
    because of unspeakable negligence, and those are only the ones we know about so far.

    I'm thumbing through the results of the latest government inquiry, which was dug up by my colleagues
    Charles Ornstein and Tracy Weber, and the 44-page indictment of the Willowbrook hospital reads like
    a Stephen King novel.

    Included are hair-raising tales of gross understaffing in critical care units, nurses ordered to lie
    about the condition of patients to justify ignoring them, and seriously ill patients left unattended
    for hours.

    Twenty-year-old Oluchi McDonald, who had gangrene of the intestines, was found dead on the floor
    after falling, unnoticed, into a pool of his own vomit.

    In a December case, a visiting family went to a nursing station to report that "something was wrong"
    with their relative, whose doctor had ordered continuous monitoring. Nurses went to his bedside and
    found that his heart monitor had flat-lined. The patient had gone into cardiopulmonary arrest, and
    he died within hours.

    Later in the federal inquiry a nurse who was questioned said she "did not feel comfortable with
    the use of heart monitors." Unfortunately, reading the machines was one of her responsibilities.
    Two nurses at a monitoring station couldn't say whether a red X on the screen meant an alarm was
    off, or on.

    If you find yourself feeling seriously ill while in the vicinity of King/Drew, I suggest you take
    two aspirin and ask to be airlifted to any other hospital in the United States or a nearby
    developing nation.

    Public officials, of course, are shocked by revelations from King/Drew. They're always shocked, but
    nobody else is.

    We've all been reading King/Drew horror stories for years, and yet every new disaster is met with
    great surprise by Los Angeles County supervisors, who wring their hands and always promise yet
    another cleanup - just as they're doing now - that never materializes.

    "It's criminal," Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky told The Times in response to the latest horrors. "It's
    just unbelievable."

    Criminal, maybe. Unbelievable, no.

    I'm sure King/Drew's got lots of dedicated and talented people. But it's now obvious to one and all
    that there's something rotten in that place. Incompetence is protected by a calcified civil service
    system, and a corrosive strain of racial politics has always stood in the way of a good
    housecleaning.

    The hospital, established after the Watts riots to train African American medical professionals and
    serve African Americans, has had essentially the same African American administrative staff for
    years. As civil rights attorney Connie Rice puts it, outside input is not welcome.

    "Any time it's even suggested that they create a partnership with another hospital that might help
    them," said Rice, who is African American, "they scream racism."

    So it comes as no surprise that weak-kneed politicians have never summoned the courage to take
    King/Drew, turn it upside down and shake out all the bad eggs.

    "There's no question there is some [racial] tension there," said Supervisor Yvonne Brathwaite Burke.

    Take the Jan. 23 rally, whose sponsors claimed that the county intended to shut down King/Drew,
    lock, stock and barrel. Co-sponsored by the Congress of Racial Equality of California, the gathering
    featured fliers including a photo of a smoldering Watts and a finger-pointing Dr. King.

    "Don't let it happen!" said the flier. "It's our hospital!"

    The county has no intention of closing King/Drew, by the way, although it doesn't strike me as a bad
    idea. As for it being "our" hospital, who's "our?" The surrounding neighborhood is mostly Latino.

    "We will be on top of your desk," Rep. Maxine Waters warned county officials at the rally, referring
    to a plan to close King/Drew's neonatal intensive care unit.

    That unit, I should point out, was found deficient by the state. It seems to me that if you're going
    to make threats, maybe you should aim them at hospital administrators instead of warning county
    officials to back off.

    And by the way, it's not about whether the place is run by blacks or whites or Latinos. It's about
    whether you can take your child or anyone else to the hospital with a reasonable expectation that
    they'll be taken care of properly, instead of ending up in the newspaper.

    It was not clear to me which desk Rep. Waters intended to climb on top of, but I left a message on
    hers. I asked her to call back and tell me just how many people had to die before she went after the
    hospital, instead of defending its right to take in more victims.

    Waters called back to say she's not excusing anyone's incompetence, and if heads have to roll, so be
    it. But the hospital has to be kept open because it serves people with desperate needs and few
    alternatives.

    As for the desk-climbing threat, she said it's county health officials she's talking about. It's
    their job to crack down on the hospital and keep supervisors informed of problems, she said, and
    they've failed.

    Two nursing administrators were suspended without pay over the latest deaths, and Supervisor Burke
    told me she thinks the county is finally on the path to reforming King/Drew.

    It sounded good.

    Just like all the other times.

  3. S. L'Gree

    S. L'Gree Guest

    "George Orwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > AFFIRMATIVE ACTION HOSPITAL LIKE A NAZI DEATH CAMP
    >
    > Keep in mind that when the hopelessly left LATimes points a finger at a Black anything the
    > situation must be awful. This hospital is staffed by blacks, blacks who are where they are because
    > they have been "given" medical degrees, nursing degrees and so on. This is what will happen to you
    > when the low end of the intellectual class becomes doctors. It is a horror story and it will
    > continue BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK.
    >
    > Nurses at a public hospital serving the poor in south Los Angeles left critically ill patients
    > alone for hours and were ordered to lie about patients' conditions
    >
    > nurses failed in providing basic patient care, doctors allowed problems to fester and Los
    > Angeles County was guilty of poor oversight at Martin Luther King Jr.-Drew Medical Center.
    >
    > Five patients died at the hospital last year after what were determined to have been grave
    > errors by staff members, according to the unreleased Medicare and Medicaid Services report.
    >
    > The others include Oluchi McDonald, 20, who was found on the floor in a pool of his own vomit,
    > suffering intestinal gangrene.
    >
    > Let's hear it for affirmative action in Medical Schools. No rich liberals EVER go to places like
    > Martin Luther King Hospital.

    "King-Drew treats about one quarter of Los Angeles County's gunshot and stabbing victims." And the
    left-coasters blame it all on Gray Davis' budget cuts. From what I've heard, this place is where the
    dregs of the medical profession, especially the Affirmative Action dunces, eventually wind up

    California budget cuts imperil Los Angeles County health care

    By Shannon Jones

    The budget cuts carried out by California Governor Gray Davis pose a grave threat to health care for
    residents of the nation's largest state. Particularly hard hit are the 6.3 million people in
    California, including
    1.6 million children, who have no health care coverage.

    The state's Democratic administration implemented the cuts in an effort to close California's
    massive $38 million budget deficit. Los Angeles County, home to a significant portion of
    California's uninsured as well as a large immigrant population, has been especially affected by the
    funding cuts.

    In May, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors closed 16 community-based medical clinics. It is
    also closing High Desert Hospital in Lancaster and turning it into an outpatient clinic. The county
    is fighting a lawsuit that is presently blocking its attempt to close Ranch Los Amigos National
    Rehabilitation Hospital.

    The shutdown of the clinics force 2.5 million uninsured residents of the county to rely on the two
    remaining full-service hospitals, Los Angeles County/USC Medical Center and Martin Luther King
    Jr./Drew Medical Center. These two hospitals have also been targeted for cuts. King-Drew, located in
    south Los Angeles, lost 79 doctors, 152 nursing staff and 210 administrative support personnel. The
    hospital treats mostly minority and immigrant patients. A plan to cut 100 beds at County USC has
    been temporarily halted by a lawsuit.

    King-Drew was opened in 1972, largely due to public pressure following a report by a commission
    investigating the 1965 Watts rebellion. Headed by former CIA director John McCone, the commission
    found access to local health care one of the biggest needs of the south Los Angeles community. At
    the time, the nearest major public hospital was County USC in East Los Angeles, many miles away.

    Continuing cuts and lack of funding have made it increasingly difficult to provide even a minimally
    adequate level of patient care. King-Drew Medical Center received an "unfavorable" rating in 2000 in
    its review by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Another review is
    currently in process. If the facility receives another overall negative review, it could face the
    loss of its 18 residency programs. The hospital relies on residents for a large part of its patient
    care. It is not clear the hospital could continue operating without interns.

    Six of King-Drew's18 residency programs have recently received sanctions from the council. The
    radiology program will lose its accreditation in June, meaning it must be closed. According to a
    September 7 report in the Los Angeles Times, the ACGME has cited King-Drew for "insufficient
    supervision of residents, overworking residents and using them for inappropriate chores."

    According to the same article, King-Drew treats about one quarter of Los Angeles County's gunshot
    and stabbing victims and 11 percent of those involved in life-threatening incidents such as car
    accidents and violent assaults.

    A doctor of internal medicine at King-Drew spoke to the WSWS about the new threat to the hospital:
    "It is going to have a large impact here, there are many people who are going to affected. We serve
    a lot of undocumented workers, about 20 percent of our patients. They come here for almost everything-
    health care at the first step.

    "I can't even conceive how deeply it would affect the whole population. If you don't take care of
    adults, they can't work. If they can't work, they can 't take care of their families.

    "The ACGME has been trying to put in a standard for training programs. It is true some of the
    programs have been lagging. There are many factors involved, the hospital cannot get good trainers;
    there is not enough money. King-Drew has always been the bad guy; nobody wants to come here, the
    salary is low, you don't get incentives.

    "I know Charles Drew University is building up their research here. With research, you get grants
    and that can build up your services. My fellowship program was for two years, but I stayed three
    years because I wanted to do research. But no one will hire me with these cuts, I am going out.

    "I know people who say that because of the cuts they will go up north, to greener pastures. I know
    they have gotten rid of some of the part-timers and faculty nurses. This hurts, because it's a team
    effort; if one leg is missing, you can't stand."

    Inadequate training or overworked staff at King-Drew may have been a factor in the deaths of at
    least two patients this summer. Sonia Lopez, 33, died July 4 after suffering a heart attack. She had
    been admitted June 23 with suspected meningitis. Sometime between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m., she suffered a
    heart attack, but nurses said her monitor showed all vital signs were normal.

    Robbie Bilbrew, 52, was found dead two weeks later by a doctor making her morning rounds. The woman,
    who suffered from diabetes, was to be released to rehabilitation that same day. Doctors could not
    say how long she had been dead.

    A subsequent investigation indicated that a new patient-monitoring system may have failed to alert
    nurses that the women needed urgent attention. In the death of Lopez, her condition may have been
    tracked by the wrong monitor, confusing nurses. In the case of Bilbrew, an equipment malfunction
    apparently prevented an alarm from sounding.

    Relatives of both deceased women did not find out until later that there had been a problem with the
    monitors. The malfunctioning monitors were not finally removed until several weeks later, in advance
    of the review by the ACGME.

    There have been problems for many years at the hospital due to underfunding and neglect. In one of
    the most widely publicized cases, in 1994 a woman received AIDS-tainted blood during a routine
    surgical procedure and as a result contracted the disease. An investigation disclosed many
    irregularities in the hospital's blood bank.

    An immigrant worker, a recent patient at King-Drew, spoke to the WSWS about the impact of Governor
    Davis's cuts. He said that he had recently tried to visit a county health clinic, only to find it
    had been closed. "I don't agree with the cuts. I have a family and have very few resources. I don't
    have stable work, it affects me greatly and people like me.

    "I am being helped by Medi-Cal [a state program for the poor and uninsured] because a year ago my
    company closed, a plumbing company with about 80 people. I lost my medical insurance. Medi-Cal is
    helping a bit with my health costs, but it only pays for emergencies. I have to buy the drugs
    myself. Two months ago, I had an intestinal operation. Fifty capsules lasted 25 days, and for them I
    had to pay between $130 and $150. I also have to buy medicine for my child.

    "If the government wouldn't spend money elsewhere they could help us. We pay taxes on gasoline
    and on everything we buy. The Iraq war is affecting all workers. The US went into Iraq without
    being called. That is where the money is being spent. I do not support the war in Iraq-we are all
    human beings."

    A resident doctor in pediatrics at King-Drew said, "I am tired of the whole thing. Everyone is going
    to affected. Many of us may have to switch to a different specialty.

    "They have already cut some people, mainly secretaries and clerks. But their jobs are important and
    the work is still here. It simply means doctors are now doing clerical work. All these cuts affect
    us because it takes away from what we are supposed to be doing.

    "People come here from far away who don't have insurance. They are the ones who really need help, so
    they come here. A lot of hospitals have so much more, you can't even compare it to private
    hospitals.

    "This could have a big impact on the general public. Many of the patients don't have cars, they come
    here in buses. How will they get to Harbor hospital, how will they get to County USC?"

    The WSWS also spoke to staff and patients at County USC, now called Los Angeles County/USC
    Healthcare Network. Located in East Los Angeles, the facility is one of the largest public hospitals
    in the country, treating some 800,00 patients annually, including 250,000 emergency room visits.
    Almost one half of those it treats are poor or uninsured.

    Even before the latest round of cuts, County USC faced severe shortages of staff and resources.
    According to testimony from doctors filed in legal affidavits earlier this year, emergency room
    patients can wait up to four days for beds, sometimes dying before receiving treatment.

    In a case reported by the Los Angeles Times, a 40-year-old woman with an arterial blockage in her
    lungs was kept in the emergency room for more than 30 hours because an intensive care unit bed was
    not available. She suffered cardiac arrest and died.

    Tensions caused by overcrowding lend a police-state atmosphere to the facility. Patients and
    visitors must pass through a metal detector before entering the hospital, and a police station sits
    right near the main entrance.

    A nurse with 15 years' experience at County USC told the WSWS, "There is understaffing. Many times,
    we don't have the right person doing the job, sometimes we don't have a clerk.

    "I take care of all the medicines in the whole ward. It is time-consuming and very stressful. Many
    times, we find discrepancies; sometimes the prescribed dose is not even correct. Sometimes patients
    get the wrong medication. Because this is an educational institution, most of the doctors are
    interns; therefore, their orders are sometimes incorrect.

    "The cuts have had a lot of impact on nurses. Many times, the psychiatric patients come to us here
    in general medicine because there is not enough room. Sometimes we get patients from other floors as
    well, and when there is a problem, it takes a long time to track down their doctors. However, since
    this is a public hospital, we have to take anyone who comes in."

    In June, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to stop providing free non-
    emergency medical care to nonresidents of the county, including undocumented immigrants, who lack
    health insurance.

    Juana and Patricia, two Mexican immigrants at County USC for treatment, spoke to the WSWS. Juana
    said, "There are people without the money to pay for medicine. With the cutbacks, what are people
    going to do, especially immigrants?"

    Patricia added, "Nevertheless, immigrants work and pay taxes, but they need their papers so they can
    be legal. We need medical insurance for ourselves and for our families. I am a waitress and we don't
    have any benefits where I work. We have no paid vacations, nothing."

    Juana said, "Everyone who works should be guaranteed health insurance. For many people it is very
    difficult without insurance. We should have insurance and be able to go to the doctor of our choice,
    so you don't have to come here because you can't pay."

    "Look at me," Patricia added. "You go to the doctor for one visit and it costs $190, plus the
    medicine you buy. Life is very difficult for me. Even basic necessities are very expensive."

    Juana said, "This has always been a good hospital for us. It is going to be hard for the people
    if there are more cuts. It is very hard for undocumented workers to get health care. The first
    thing they ask you is if you are here illegally. Only if it is an emergency are you admitted if
    you are illegal

    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/sep2003/hosp-s18.shtml

  4. W0RDs

    W0RDs Guest

    At least Dr. Mengele EARNED his degree.

    > AFFIRMATIVE ACTION HOSPITAL LIKE A NAZI DEATH CAMP
    >
    >Keep in mind that when the hopelessly left LATimes points a finger at a Black anything the
    >situation must be awful. This hospital is staffed by blacks, blacks who are where they are because
    >they have been "given" medical degrees, nursing degrees and so on. This is what will happen to you
    >when the low end of the intellectual class becomes doctors. It is a horror story and it will
    >continue BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK.
    >
    > Nurses at a public hospital serving the poor in south Los Angeles left critically ill patients
    > alone for hours and were ordered to lie about patients' conditions
    >
    > nurses failed in providing basic patient care, doctors allowed problems to fester and Los
    > Angeles County was guilty of poor oversight at Martin Luther King Jr.-Drew Medical Center.
    >
    > Five patients died at the hospital last year after what were determined to have been grave
    > errors by staff members, according to the unreleased Medicare and Medicaid Services report.
    >
    > The others include Oluchi McDonald, 20, who was found on the floor in a pool of his own vomit,
    > suffering intestinal gangrene.
    >
    >Let's hear it for affirmative action in Medical Schools. No rich liberals EVER go to places like
    >Martin Luther King Hospital.

  5. Fay

    Fay Guest

    "S. L'Gree" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > It is very hard for undocumented workers to get health care. The first thing they ask you is if
    > you are here illegally. Only if it is an emergency are you admitted if you are illegal

    The illegal aliens in Texas have put such a strain on our hospitals they are going broke. The ER
    rooms are full of illegals with a cold. In Texas the hospitals have to treat illegals without asking
    any questions. Illegal aliens get the very best treatment. Americans get second best amd without
    health care insurance they take a back seat.

  6. Fay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "S. L'Gree" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > It is very hard for undocumented workers to get health care. The first thing they ask you is if
    > > you are here illegally. Only if it is an emergency are you admitted if you are illegal
    > >

    > The illegal aliens in Texas have put such a strain on our hospitals they are going broke. The ER
    > rooms are full of illegals with a cold. In Texas the hospitals have to treat illegals without
    > asking any questions. Illegal aliens get the very best treatment. Americans get second best amd
    > without health care insurance they take a back seat.

    Fay, are you aware that over 85%, YES, OVER 85%, of babies born in Los Angeles County General
    Hospital are born to illegal aliens? And they become U.S. citizens on the spot! The school system in
    LA County? There is literally not a public school in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and Ventura
    counties whose student body isn't overwhelmingly made up of ILLEGAL Mexican immigrants. Not just
    Mexicans, but illegal Mexicans. This area is almost half the entire state.

  7. Fay

    Fay Guest

    [email protected] (Granny's Packing A 9mm) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Fay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> "S. L'Gree" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]upernews.com:
    >>
    >> > It is very hard for undocumented workers to get health care. The first thing they ask you is if
    >> > you are here illegally. Only if it is an emergency are you admitted if you are illegal
    >> >

    >> The illegal aliens in Texas have put such a strain on our hospitals they are going broke. The ER
    >> rooms are full of illegals with a cold. In Texas the hospitals have to treat illegals without
    >> asking any questions. Illegal aliens get the very best treatment. Americans get second best amd
    >> without health care insurance they take a back seat.
    >
    > Fay, are you aware that over 85%, YES, OVER 85%, of babies born in Los Angeles County General
    > Hospital are born to illegal aliens? And they become U.S. citizens on the spot! The school system
    > in LA County? There is literally not a public school in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and Ventura
    > counties whose student body isn't overwhelmingly made up of ILLEGAL Mexican immigrants. Not just
    > Mexicans, but illegal Mexicans. This area is almost half the entire state.

    I know you have a real problem also. Dallas public school system has less than 6% white students. I
    have a feeling it's not going to get better.

  8. Fay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Fay, are you aware that over 85%, YES, OVER 85%, of babies born in Los Angeles County General
    > > Hospital are born to illegal aliens? And they become U.S. citizens on the spot! The school
    > > system in LA County? There is literally not a public school in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside
    > > and Ventura counties whose student body isn't overwhelmingly made up of ILLEGAL Mexican
    > > immigrants. Not just Mexicans, but illegal Mexicans. This area is almost half the entire state.
    > >

    > I know you have a real problem also. Dallas public school system has less than 6% white students.
    > I have a feeling it's not going to get better.

    Fay, I wonder if you can even begin to grasp the true extent of the monumental problem we now have
    in southern California. It is so out of control as to make it merely a suburb of Tijuana with
    American citizens footing the bill. Our hospitals and our jails and our prisons and our schools and
    every other social service agency imaginable are collapsing under the weight of these hordes of
    illegal Mexican nationals and assorted other South Americans. One can not hardly find a job but
    what they require you to be bilingual. Talk about pouring salt in an open wound.

    But something is going to give here, Fay, and it's starting to happen already. As occurs every time
    these severe social dislocations take place, the white tax base either flees or disappears and these
    people are left to inhabit a shithole of their own making. And when the bills come due, there will
    be no one left to pay them, at least not in the style they were used to. IOW, it will simply become
    just like the corrupt dump they left. And if this continues, the whole country will follow this same
    path. They've ignored our pleas for decades, but soon enough it will come to a theater near them and
    it will be too late, if indeed it already isn't.