Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Lacing suggestions

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 35 posts · 1,159 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 May 2008
Last activity
11 May 2008
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
35
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,159
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–35 of 35
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. email hidden said:

    If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
    Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
    So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
    That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
    more inboard placement of the DS flange.

    It would help a little... but think about what you've done to the NDS
    spokes. Instead of 19mm and 36mm spacing, you'd get maybe 21mm and
    36mm (just guessing). If you put 120kg in the DS, then the NDS would
    be 70kg... and these are the only spokes transfering torque. Combine a
    high torque load with the radial and side loads, and it won't take
    much to make the pushing spokes go slack.

    Quoted message said:

    This is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but I just took my light
    wheels (28h, 2x DS, radial NDS, narrow AC hub flanges) for a short
    test, and did some purposefully agressive side to side sprints. It
    seems the wheel only have the occasional flop when I lean the bike to
    the right, and the rims feels like it flexes in toward the NDS.

    You are very perceptive! This is the side that will buckle first,
    since the NDS tension is lower and the spokes are at more of an angle.
    You can demonstrate this easily by taking the wheel out and pressing
    on the edges of the rim, while the axle rests on a solid surface. The
    wheel will "boing" with lower force when you press towards the NDS.

    Quoted message said:

    The
    flanges mean there is essentially no dish, so the only real difference
    between each side is spoke length and thus angle. The rim does not
    seem to flop toward the DS. That makes sense because the NDS is radial
    and is in better position to resist.

    There is dish. Probably ~19mm DS and 28mm NDS. This is the main
    difference. Oddly, if the spacing (dish) was greater, you'd think the
    lateral stability situation would get worse... but it actually
    improves. A narrow spacing improves the tension balance, but this is
    only an issue if you have spokes going slack from radial loads... for
    all other loads it makes things worse. Narrow flanges reduce the
    lateral stiffness a lot, since this goes up exponentially with bracing
    angle, and they also reduce the load required to make the wheel
    buckle.

  2. Ron Ruff said:
    email hidden said:

    If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
    Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
    So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
    That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
    more inboard placement of the DS flange.

    It would help a little... but think about what you've done to the NDS
    spokes. Instead of 19mm and 36mm spacing, you'd get maybe 21mm and
    36mm (just guessing). If you put 120kg in the DS, then the NDS would
    be 70kg... and these are the only spokes transfering torque. Combine a
    high torque load with the radial and side loads, and it won't take
    much to make the pushing spokes go slack.

    Quoted message said:

    This is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but I just took my light
    wheels (28h, 2x DS, radial NDS, narrow AC hub flanges) for a short
    test, and did some purposefully agressive side to side sprints. It
    seems the wheel only have the occasional flop when I lean the bike to
    the right, and the rims feels like it flexes in toward the NDS.

    You are very perceptive! This is the side that will buckle first,
    since the NDS tension is lower and the spokes are at more of an angle.

    it's not so much a tension thing as a spoke angle thing. and it's the
    angle of the /drive side/ spokes that causes it. basically, the closer
    the drive side spoke angle is to perpendicular, the more any applied
    load stretches those spokes, hence the non-drive side can slack more easily.

    Quoted message said:

    You can demonstrate this easily by taking the wheel out and pressing
    on the edges of the rim, while the axle rests on a solid surface. The
    wheel will "boing" with lower force when you press towards the NDS.

    indeed. see above.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    The
    flanges mean there is essentially no dish, so the only real difference
    between each side is spoke length and thus angle. The rim does not
    seem to flop toward the DS. That makes sense because the NDS is radial
    and is in better position to resist.

    There is dish. Probably ~19mm DS and 28mm NDS. This is the main
    difference. Oddly, if the spacing (dish) was greater, you'd think the
    lateral stability situation would get worse... but it actually
    improves. A narrow spacing improves the tension balance, but this is
    only an issue if you have spokes going slack from radial loads... for
    all other loads it makes things worse. Narrow flanges reduce the
    lateral stiffness a lot, since this goes up exponentially with bracing
    angle, and they also reduce the load required to make the wheel
    buckle.

  3. Ron Ruff said:

    On May 10, 6:36*am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
    Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
    So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
    That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
    more inboard placement of the DS flange.

    It would help a little... but think about what you've done to the NDS
    spokes. Instead of 19mm and 36mm spacing, you'd get maybe 21mm and
    36mm (just guessing). If you put 120kg in the DS, then the NDS would
    be 70kg... and these are the only spokes transfering torque. Combine a
    high torque load with the radial and side loads, and it won't take
    much to make the pushing spokes go slack.

    Quoted message said:

    This is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but I just took my light
    wheels (28h, 2x DS, radial NDS, narrow AC hub flanges) for a short
    test, and did some purposefully agressive side to side sprints. It
    seems the wheel only have the occasional flop when I lean the bike to
    the right, and the rims feels like it flexes in toward the NDS.

    You are very perceptive! This is the side that will buckle first,
    since the NDS tension is lower and the spokes are at more of an angle.
    You can demonstrate this easily by taking the wheel out and pressing
    on the edges of the rim, while the axle rests on a solid surface. The
    wheel will "boing" with lower force when you press towards the NDS.

    Quoted message said:

    The
    flanges mean there is essentially no dish, so the only real difference
    between each side is spoke length and thus angle. The rim does not
    seem to flop toward the DS. That makes sense because the NDS is radial
    and is in better position to resist.

    There is dish. Probably ~19mm DS and 28mm NDS. This is the main
    difference. Oddly, if the spacing (dish) was greater, you'd think the
    lateral stability situation would get worse... but it actually
    improves. A narrow spacing improves the tension balance, but this is
    only an issue if you have spokes going slack from radial loads... for
    all other loads it makes things worse. Narrow flanges reduce the
    lateral stiffness a lot, since this goes up exponentially with bracing
    angle, and they also reduce the load required to make the wheel
    buckle.


    I agree with Ron Ruff. Whatever way you finally decide to build them, make sure to stabilize the build and check spoke tensions often for at least the first 100 miles to make sure that everything stays where you put them... or at least gets back there.
    I don't see any benefit for 3X on a 28 spoke wheel.
    The wider set flanges and thicker hub mid section of the 7800 Dura Ace hubs make them stiffer in all dimensions.
    Your 50 mm high rims also help stiffness in three ways:
    the rims themselves due to the rim height
    the spoke support angle is greater
    the spoke length is shorter
    Each contribution may be small, but it is measurable and in the direction of increased stiffness.

  4. Ron Ruff said:

    On May 10, 6:36 am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
    Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
    So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
    That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
    more inboard placement of the DS flange.

    It would help a little... but think about what you've done to the NDS
    spokes. Instead of 19mm and 36mm spacing, you'd get maybe 21mm and
    36mm (just guessing). If you put 120kg in the DS, then the NDS would
    be 70kg... and these are the only spokes transfering torque. Combine a
    high torque load with the radial and side loads, and it won't take
    much to make the pushing spokes go slack.

    I see. Radial DS would make the wheel more laterally stiff, but this
    would come at the unacceptable expense of NDS push spokes going slack
    under high torque loads and probably boinging the wheel.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    This is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but I just took my light
    wheels (28h, 2x DS, radial NDS, narrow AC hub flanges) for a short
    test, and did some purposefully agressive side to side sprints. It
    seems the wheel only have the occasional flop when I lean the bike to
    the right, and the rims feels like it flexes in toward the NDS.

    You are very perceptive! This is the side that will buckle first,
    since the NDS tension is lower and the spokes are at more of an angle.
    You can demonstrate this easily by taking the wheel out and pressing
    on the edges of the rim, while the axle rests on a solid surface. The
    wheel will "boing" with lower force when you press towards the NDS.

    Quoted message said:

    The
    flanges mean there is essentially no dish, so the only real difference
    between each side is spoke length and thus angle. The rim does not
    seem to flop toward the DS. That makes sense because the NDS is radial
    and is in better position to resist.

    There is dish. Probably ~19mm DS and 28mm NDS. This is the main
    difference. Oddly, if the spacing (dish) was greater, you'd think the
    lateral stability situation would get worse... but it actually
    improves. A narrow spacing improves the tension balance, but this is
    only an issue if you have spokes going slack from radial loads... for
    all other loads it makes things worse. Narrow flanges reduce the
    lateral stiffness a lot, since this goes up exponentially with bracing
    angle, and they also reduce the load required to make the wheel
    buckle.

    I guess that in general the wider flange spacing of the DA hubs (yet
    smaller diameter) than the AC hubs (38mm, 22mm vs 31mm, 17mm) is what
    is going to make the biggest difference. So radial NDS, 2x DS.

    But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
    both sides?

    Joseph

  5. Quoted message said:
    Ron Ruff said:

    On May 10, 6:36�am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    If that is the case, it doesn't matter which side the spokes are on.
    Any "pull" spoke transfers torque to the rim, whichever side it is on.
    So then it would make sense to have radial on the DS, not the NDS.
    That way the shorter spoke and resulting angle helps make up for the
    more inboard placement of the DS flange.


    It would help a little... but think about what you've done to the NDS
    spokes. Instead of 19mm and 36mm spacing, you'd get maybe 21mm and
    36mm (just guessing). If you put 120kg in the DS, then the NDS would
    be 70kg... and these are the only spokes transfering torque. Combine a
    high torque load with the radial and side loads, and it won't take
    much to make the pushing spokes go slack.

    I see. Radial DS would make the wheel more laterally stiff,

    um, well, it's not so much the radial configuration, it's more the
    effective flange spacing.

    Quoted message said:

    but this
    would come at the unacceptable expense of NDS push spokes going slack
    under high torque loads and probably boinging the wheel.

    again, not so much torque, more lateral loading.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is totally unscientific and anecdotal, but I just took my light
    wheels (28h, 2x DS, radial NDS, narrow AC hub flanges) for a short
    test, and did some purposefully agressive side to side sprints. It
    seems the wheel only have the occasional flop when I lean the bike to
    the right, and the rims feels like it flexes in toward the NDS.


    You are very perceptive! This is the side that will buckle first,
    since the NDS tension is lower and the spokes are at more of an angle.
    You can demonstrate this easily by taking the wheel out and pressing
    on the edges of the rim, while the axle rests on a solid surface. The
    wheel will "boing" with lower force when you press towards the NDS.

    Quoted message said:

    The
    flanges mean there is essentially no dish, so the only real difference
    between each side is spoke length and thus angle. The rim does not
    seem to flop toward the DS. That makes sense because the NDS is radial
    and is in better position to resist.


    There is dish. Probably ~19mm DS and 28mm NDS. This is the main
    difference. Oddly, if the spacing (dish) was greater, you'd think the
    lateral stability situation would get worse... but it actually
    improves. A narrow spacing improves the tension balance, but this is
    only an issue if you have spokes going slack from radial loads... for
    all other loads it makes things worse. Narrow flanges reduce the
    lateral stiffness a lot, since this goes up exponentially with bracing
    angle, and they also reduce the load required to make the wheel
    buckle.

    I guess that in general the wider flange spacing of the DA hubs (yet
    smaller diameter) than the AC hubs (38mm, 22mm vs 31mm, 17mm) is what
    is going to make the biggest difference. So radial NDS, 2x DS.

    But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
    both sides?

    they have american classics? try rebuilding using a hub with a wider
    flange spacing. shimano are the best for this.

  6. email hidden said:

    But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
    both sides?

    Are they laced heads-in now on the NDS? If not, try that. If they are
    heads-in, then heavier spokes are the only thing that will help... but
    I'd probably just sell them to a lighter rider before trying that.

  7. Ron Ruff said:

    On May 10, 9:28 am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
    both sides?

    Are they laced heads-in now on the NDS? If not, try that. If they are
    heads-in, then heavier spokes are the only thing that will help... but
    I'd probably just sell them to a lighter rider before trying that.

    All my lighter buddies are afraid of tubulars, and even more vain than
    me! The old-school Mavic OR10 rims just look funny to them. Not too
    mention the insanley high spoke count! They do however do a double
    take when I hand them a wheel to feel it's (lack of) weight. And then
    when they find out how much they cost (1/2 their heavier pre-builts)
    they give me a blank stare.

    They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier spokes,
    should I replace them all, or just NDS?

    Joseph

  8. quote=''On May 10 said:

    On May 10, 9:28*am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those 2x
    both sides?

    Are they laced heads-in now on the NDS? If not, try that. If they are
    heads-in, then heavier spokes are the only thing that will help... but
    I'd probably just sell them to a lighter rider before trying that.

    All my lighter buddies are afraid of tubulars, and even more vain than
    me! The old-school Mavic OR10 rims just look funny to them. Not too
    mention the insanley high spoke count! They do however do a double
    take when I hand them a wheel to feel it's (lack of) weight. And then
    when they find out how much they cost (1/2 their heavier pre-builts)
    they give me a blank stare.

    They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier spokes,
    should I replace them all, or just NDS?

    Joseph[/QUOTE]
    Are you set on retaining those rims in combination with the narrow spaced hubs?
    You can add ~20% stiffness with beefier spokes and heads in orientation of spokes, but at your weight and power I wonder if it is worth the effort and costs. Light weight wheels are fun to show off, but they don't make much difference to the overall weight of rider + bicycle ... especially as the rider weight contribution is over 80%.
    I would move ahead with the wheels you are working on now so you can see what they ride like.
    Ron Ruff's idea of selling your light weight rider who thinks tubies are better (or at least worth it). There are a small percentage of riders who have a positive bias for tubulars... and some like the old style Mavic OR rims too.

  9. On May 10, 8:17 pm, daveornee <daveornee.397...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:
    Quoted message said:
    Ron Ruff said:

    On May 10, 9:28*am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those


    2x

    Quoted message said:

    > both sides?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are they laced heads-in now on the NDS? If not, try that. If they


    are

    Quoted message said:

    heads-in, then heavier spokes are the only thing that will help...


    but

    Quoted message said:

    I'd probably just sell them to a lighter rider before trying that.

    Quoted message said:

    All my lighter buddies are afraid of tubulars, and even more vain than
    me! The old-school Mavic OR10 rims just look funny to them. Not too
    mention the insanley high spoke count! They do however do a double
    take when I hand them a wheel to feel it's (lack of) weight. And then
    when they find out how much they cost (1/2 their heavier pre-builts)
    they give me a blank stare.

    Quoted message said:

    They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier spokes,
    should I replace them all, or just NDS?

    Quoted message said:

    Joseph

    Are you set on retaining those rims in combination with the narrow
    spaced hubs?
    You can add ~20% stiffness with beefier spokes and heads in orientation
    of spokes, but at your weight and power I wonder if it is worth the
    effort and costs.   Light weight wheels are fun to show off, but they
    don't make much difference to the overall weight of rider + bicycle ...
    especially as the rider weight contribution is over 80%.
    I would move ahead with the wheels you are working on now so you can
    see what they ride like.
    Ron Ruff's idea of selling your light weight rider who thinks tubies
    are better (or at least worth it).    There are a small percentage of
    riders who have a positive bias for tubulars... and some like the old
    style Mavic OR rims too.

    --
    daveornee

    I'm not set on keeping them, but nobody I know is interested in
    buying, even for cheap. Fixing them is a low priority. I'll try
    flipping the spokes first (free) and maybe some heavier spokes if I
    happen across any suitable. If these new aero wheels (Gigantex/Dura
    Ace) are nice, I may buy some more of those rims and use the AC hubs
    and those I could sell. Then I'll keep the OR10's for some future
    unknown project.

    Joseph

  10. email hidden said:

    They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier spokes,
    should I replace them all, or just NDS?

    Just flipping them might help enough. If you replace the spokes with
    heavier ones, I'd do them all. What size do you have now? If they are
    2.0/1.8, then they are already as heavy as you'd want to go.

  11. [email hidden said:

    "]On May 10, 8:17*pm, daveornee <daveornee.397...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:
    Quoted message said:
    Ron Ruff said:

    On May 10, 9:28*am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild those


    2x

    Quoted message said:

    > both sides?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are they laced heads-in now on the NDS? If not, try that. If they


    are

    Quoted message said:

    heads-in, then heavier spokes are the only thing that will help...


    but

    Quoted message said:

    I'd probably just sell them to a lighter rider before trying that.

    Quoted message said:

    All my lighter buddies are afraid of tubulars, and even more vain than
    me! The old-school Mavic OR10 rims just look funny to them. Not too
    mention the insanley high spoke count! They do however do a double
    take when I hand them a wheel to feel it's (lack of) weight. And then
    when they find out how much they cost (1/2 their heavier pre-builts)
    they give me a blank stare.

    Quoted message said:

    They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier spokes,
    should I replace them all, or just NDS?

    Quoted message said:

    Joseph

    Are you set on retaining those rims in combination with the narrow
    spaced hubs?
    You can add ~20% stiffness with beefier spokes and heads in orientation
    of spokes, but at your weight and power I wonder if it is worth the
    effort and costs. * Light weight wheels are fun to show off, but they
    don't make much difference to the overall weight of rider + bicycle ...
    especially as the rider weight contribution is over 80%.
    I would move ahead with the wheels you are working on now so you can
    see what they ride like.
    Ron Ruff's idea of selling your light weight rider who thinks tubies
    are better (or at least worth it). * *There are a small percentage of
    riders who have a positive bias for tubulars... and some like the old
    style Mavic OR rims too.

    --
    daveornee

    I'm not set on keeping them, but nobody I know is interested in
    buying, even for cheap. Fixing them is a low priority. I'll try
    flipping the spokes first (free) and maybe some heavier spokes if I
    happen across any suitable. If these new aero wheels (Gigantex/Dura
    Ace) are nice, I may buy some more of those rims and use the AC hubs
    and those I could sell. Then I'll keep the OR10's for some future
    unknown project.

    Joseph


    Precision adjusted cup & cone bearings like those found on Shimano and pre 2007 Campy along with a good steel QR properly adjusted will also help keep the wheel in better alignmentunder side loads. The frame and fork also have contributions. Tension balance in the spokes along with precision truing will give the the best possible chance of minimizing brake pad rubbing. The large center sections in current hubs from Shimano and Campagnolo also make a small but measurable contribution to lateral stiffness.
    I don't know how you have your pads adjusted, but I ride with some very heavy riders who adjust pads far from the rim to avoid contact. They don't have them so far out the bottoming levers when braking happens though.

  12. email hidden said:

    On May 9, 10:19 pm, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm
    Suggested lacing pattern to keep shoeslaces away from the chain.

    Getting a shoelace tangled in the pedal spindle of a fixed gear bike
    is no fun!

    I think I'll try that pattern.

    Obviously, what we need now is for some manufacturer
    to bring out off-center-drilled shoes.

    Ben

  13. On May 11, 7:02 am, "[email hidden]" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On May 9, 1:44 pm, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    On May 9, 10:19 pm, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/hikingbikinglacing.htm
    Suggested lacing pattern to keep shoeslaces away from the chain.

    Quoted message said:

    Getting a shoelace tangled in the pedal spindle of a fixed gear bike
    is no fun!

    Quoted message said:

    I think I'll try that pattern.

    Obviously, what we need now is for some manufacturer
    to bring out off-center-drilled shoes.

    Ben

    I've seen soccer shoes like that. I guess it gives a nice flat area on
    the top.

    Joseph

  14. On May 11, 1:58 am, daveornee <daveornee.397...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:
    Quoted message said:

    On May 10, 8:17*pm, daveornee <daveornee.397...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:

    [email hidden] Wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > On May 10, 7:29*pm, Ron Ruff <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > > On May 10, 9:28*am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > > > But what about my light wheels that buckle? Should I rebuild


    those

    Quoted message said:

    > 2x
    > > > both sides?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > > Are they laced heads-in now on the NDS? If not, try that. If


    they

    Quoted message said:

    > are
    > > heads-in, then heavier spokes are the only thing that will


    help...

    Quoted message said:

    > but
    > > I'd probably just sell them to a lighter rider before trying


    that.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > All my lighter buddies are afraid of tubulars, and even more vain


    than

    Quoted message said:

    > me! The old-school Mavic OR10 rims just look funny to them. Not


    too

    Quoted message said:

    > mention the insanley high spoke count! They do however do a double
    > take when I hand them a wheel to feel it's (lack of) weight. And


    then

    Quoted message said:

    > when they find out how much they cost (1/2 their heavier


    pre-builts)

    Quoted message said:

    > they give me a blank stare.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier


    spokes,

    Quoted message said:

    > should I replace them all, or just NDS?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Joseph

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are you set on retaining those rims in combination with the narrow
    spaced hubs?
    You can add ~20% stiffness with beefier spokes and heads in


    orientation

    Quoted message said:

    of spokes, but at your weight and power I wonder if it is worth the
    effort and costs. * Light weight wheels are fun to show off, but


    they

    Quoted message said:

    don't make much difference to the overall weight of rider + bicycle


    ...

    Quoted message said:

    especially as the rider weight contribution is over 80%.
    I would move ahead with the wheels you are working on now so you can
    see what they ride like.
    Ron Ruff's idea of selling your light weight rider who thinks tubies
    are better (or at least worth it). * *There are a small percentage


    of

    Quoted message said:

    riders who have a positive bias for tubulars... and some like the


    old

    Quoted message said:

    style Mavic OR rims too.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    daveornee

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not set on keeping them, but nobody I know is interested in
    buying, even for cheap. Fixing them is a low priority. I'll try
    flipping the spokes first (free) and maybe some heavier spokes if I
    happen across any suitable. If these new aero wheels (Gigantex/Dura
    Ace) are nice, I may buy some more of those rims and use the AC hubs
    and those I could sell. Then I'll keep the OR10's for some future
    unknown project.

    Quoted message said:

    Joseph

    Precision adjusted cup & cone bearings like those found on Shimano and
    pre 2007 Campy along with a good steel QR properly adjusted will also
    help keep the wheel in better alignmentunder side loads.  The frame and
    fork also have contributions.  Tension balance in the spokes along with
    precision truing will give the the best possible chance of minimizing
    brake pad rubbing.  The large center sections in current hubs from
    Shimano and Campagnolo also make a small but measurable contribution to
    lateral stiffness.
    I don't know how you have your pads adjusted, but I ride with some very
    heavy riders who adjust pads far from the rim to avoid contact.  They
    don't have them so far out the bottoming levers when braking happens
    though.

    --
    daveornee

    My Ultegra/DT-Competition/Deep-V 28/32 wheels do not flex enough to
    rub the pads. I have the brakes adjusted to contact at about half
    lever travel. That way they don't bottom out, and I have good leverage
    and wear room. When I fit the OR10's I need to open the calipers a
    bit.

    Joseph

  15. Ron Ruff said:

    On May 10, 11:39 am, "[email hidden]"

    Quoted message said:

    They are heads out now. I'll flip them. If I go with beefier spokes,
    should I replace them all, or just NDS?

    Just flipping them might help enough. If you replace the spokes with
    heavier ones, I'd do them all. What size do you have now? If they are
    2.0/1.8, then they are already as heavy as you'd want to go.

    They are 2.0/1.5.

    Joseph

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.