UK and Europe · Public discussion

Lack of judgement

Started by Ian Blake · · Last activity · 13 posts · 413 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
16 December 2005
Last activity
19 December 2005
Original author
Ian Blake
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
413
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Last night I encountered two examples of poor driving

    1. I arrive at on the minor road to a trafic light controlled T
    Junction. My light The near and far side trafic is whizzing past
    which is expected. The traffic lights change phase stopping the near
    side traffic so the far side can turn right into my minor road. Still
    Ok. The light changed again and the far side traffic is also stopped.
    Ok goody my turn next. Our light turns green and some idiot car from
    the near side jumps the lights. A second car follows (probably
    started in response to the first). Much screeching of brakes and tyre
    rubber on the road, fortunately no accident. Fortunately I was not
    front in the queue, I sometimes pre-empt the green light, he would of
    hit me!

    2. I am riding along the lane upto my village and meet one of the
    drivers from the "You can drive fast in lanes at night because you can
    see the headlights of the coming car from miles away" school. Luckily
    I met him on a straight section. I stopped he skidded about six feet.
    Eeek!

    Tonight and next week I will see some very strange driving. As
    companies close for the holiday many drivers are returning home via
    the pub or office party. Last year I actually caught a car (in free
    flowing traffic). I could of overtaken it but thought it best to wait
    for a chance to turn off.

  2. Ian Blake came up with the following;:

    Quoted message said:

    Fortunately I was not front in the queue, I sometimes pre-empt the green
    light

    So how do you justify admonishing other road users who follow your example?

    I'm not condoning the drivers, indeed I think they're exhibiting as poor
    judgement as you sometimes are, I just can't understand why it's apparently
    OK for you to do it, but not them.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  3. Paul - censored said:

    Ian Blake came up with the following;:

    Quoted message said:

    Fortunately I was not front in the queue, I sometimes pre-empt the green
    light

    So how do you justify admonishing other road users who follow your example?

    I'm not condoning the drivers, indeed I think they're exhibiting as poor
    judgement as you sometimes are, I just can't understand why it's apparently
    OK for you to do it, but not them.

    I admit I would be breaking the rules but It is not the same thing.

    All trafic is stationary when I pre-empt by a maximum of three seconds
    and the light will be green by the time I arrive on the other side of
    the road. The car that started was out of phase driving across the
    traffic called forward by green and his light would remain red for
    another 30 seconds or so.

    This early start gets me out of a traffic race which is usually a safe
    way to ride and is convenient for other road users. I never ever
    jump lights after they turn red or start out of phase. I understand
    some untypical urban cyclists do this but I think that is clearly
    stupid.

    Sometimes at this junction I wait for traffic to stop after my light
    has turned green. I assess the environment just as cyclist must do
    all the time.

  4. "Ian Blake" <NoNotMe@NotAnywhere> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Fortunately I was not
    front in the queue, I sometimes pre-empt the green light, he would of
    hit me!

    Don't you think that's a good reason to never "pre-empt" green lights.
    Even when driving my car I make sure other traffic has stopped before moving
    off on green, especially at light controlled roundabouts.
    Red traffic light running by motor vehicles is endemic where I live. Selfish
    [censored] whose practice eats into the green phase of all other road users
    even when not actually causing a danger.

    --
    Pete
    http:[email hidden]/Stuff

  5. Peter B wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 14:56:

    Quoted message said:

    Even when driving my car I make sure other traffic has stopped before
    moving off on green,

    Isn't such behaviour the only that is mandated by the HC at trafic
    lights?
    --
    Regards
    Alex
    The From address above is a spam-trap.
    The Reply-To address is valid

  6. Peter B said:


    "Ian Blake" <NoNotMe@NotAnywhere> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Fortunately I was not
    front in the queue, I sometimes pre-empt the green light, he would of
    hit me!

    Don't you think that's a good reason to never "pre-empt" green lights.
    Even when driving my car I make sure other traffic has stopped before moving
    off on green, especially at light controlled roundabouts.

    I never expect a car will stop. I always wait for confirmation. As
    everywhere cars do not stop on a change to red. However sometimes all
    trafic will stop. And I judged it is normally safe to pre-empt the
    lights in this situation. The dynamic situation is the same as when
    the light turns green. It requires a car to start against red.

    My error is of course that my belief that a driver will not start out
    of turn is false. He may mistakenly believe is turn is next or simply
    believe he can get across the junction before crossing trafic arrives.

    I feel a bit awkward defending myself it suggests I am an habitual
    light abuser, I am not. The offending cars were stopped. They
    started against red in the middle of the red period of that road.

  7. Peter B said:

    "Ian Blake" <NoNotMe@NotAnywhere> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Fortunately I was not
    front in the queue, I sometimes pre-empt the green light, he would of
    hit me!

    Don't you think that's a good reason to never "pre-empt" green lights.
    Even when driving my car I make sure other traffic has stopped before moving
    off on green, especially at light controlled roundabouts.
    Red traffic light running by motor vehicles is endemic where I live. Selfish
    [censored] whose practice eats into the green phase of all other road users
    even when not actually causing a danger.

    In this case though he could have set off on his phase and still been
    hit. The other driver preempted the phase completely (and the other
    lemon followed him.

    ...d

  8. "Alex Potter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Peter B wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 14:56:

    Quoted message said:

    Even when driving my car I make sure other traffic has stopped before
    moving off on green,

    Isn't such behaviour the only that is mandated by the HC at trafic
    lights?

    If it is I can't find the reference in my edition (2002).
    Sorry, I'm not trying to be pedantic but your remark made me curious as to
    what the HC does say about the matter.
    --
    Pete
    http:[email hidden]/Stuff

  9. "David Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    In this case though he could have set off on his phase and still been
    hit. The other driver preempted the phase completely (and the other
    lemon followed him.

    Agreed, and I've seen cars move off on red after they had initially
    completely stopped (they must have been off-duty cyclists ;-)
    --
    Pete
    http:[email hidden]/Stuff

  10. Peter B wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 16:02:

    Quoted message said:


    "Alex Potter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Peter B wrote on Friday 16 December 2005 14:56:

    Quoted message said:

    Even when driving my car I make sure other traffic has stopped
    before moving off on green,

    Isn't such behaviour the only that is mandated by the HC at trafic
    lights?

    If it is I can't find the reference in my edition (2002).
    Sorry, I'm not trying to be pedantic but your remark made me curious
    as to what the HC does say about the matter.

    Not quoting, you understand, but it always used to be the case that a
    green light didn't give you the right to go, [censored] nilly, but only if
    your way was safe and clear.

    --
    Regards
    Alex
    The From address above is a spam-trap.
    The Reply-To address is valid

  11. Quoted message said:

    I admit I would be breaking the rules but It is not the same thing.


    It *is* the same thing!!

    The rules apply to *all*.

    There is no provision for you to claim immunity.

    Quoted message said:

    Sometimes at this junction I wait for traffic to stop after my light
    has turned green. I assess the environment just as cyclist must do
    all the time.

    And if you assess that it is safe to jump the lights then your
    judgement is impaired.

  12. Ian Blake came up with the following;:

    Quoted message said:
    Paul - censored said:

    Ian Blake came up with the following;:

    Quoted message said:

    Fortunately I was not front in the queue, I sometimes pre-empt the green
    light

    So how do you justify admonishing other road users who follow your
    example?

    I'm not condoning the drivers, indeed I think they're exhibiting as poor
    judgement as you sometimes are, I just can't understand why it's
    apparently OK for you to do it, but not them.

    I admit I would be breaking the rules but It is not the same thing.

    Of course it is, what do you think 'rules of the road' are for? Your own
    personal convenience?

    Quoted message said:

    Sometimes at this junction I wait for traffic to stop after my light
    has turned green. I assess the environment just as cyclist must do
    all the time.

    Maybe the guy you're admonishing had also 'assessed the emvironment' and
    simply made a bad judgement. Maybe you also make misjudgements, or maybe
    you really do think rules are for others to follow and for you to moan about
    when they don't, but which still allow you to make your own set of rules up
    as you go along.

    You're the worst sort of bigot. Do what I say, not what I do.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  13. Paul - censored said:

    Ian Blake came up with the following;:

    Quoted message said:
    Paul - censored said:

    Ian Blake came up with the following;:

    > Fortunately I was not front in the queue, I sometimes pre-empt the green
    > light

    So how do you justify admonishing other road users who follow your
    example?

    I do not.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I'm not condoning the drivers, indeed I think they're exhibiting as poor
    judgement as you sometimes are, I just can't understand why it's
    apparently OK for you to do it, but not them.

    I admit I would be breaking the rules but It is not the same thing.

    Of course it is, what do you think 'rules of the road' are for? Your own
    personal convenience?

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Sometimes at this junction I wait for traffic to stop after my light
    has turned green. I assess the environment just as cyclist must do
    all the time.

    Quoted message said:


    Maybe the guy you're admonishing had also 'assessed the emvironment' and
    simply made a bad judgement. Maybe you also make misjudgements, or maybe

    My use of preempt and yours are different. My use "I know the phase
    of these lights very well and I will start after all the traffic has
    stopped whenit is my turn to move". I can not remember every geting
    to the end of the turn before my light has turned green.

    The driver described started when it was not his time to start. Nor
    was it about to become his turn. The potential for an accident is
    significantly higher.

    I think you are claiming that I am claiming I can do what I like
    whenever I like. I am not saying any such thing.

    Quoted message said:


    You're the worst sort of bigot. Do what I say, not what I do.

    At no time am I implying any entitlement to personal exemption from
    the rules. I admit to breaking many. (Sending an email in company
    time for instance). Your absolutist rules is rules position is
    probably not true of your behaviour either. But for now I concede
    your sainthood. This is my last post on this matter.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.