Lack of stength/seated climbing

bikerjoe

Oct 24, 2002
Seem to have no strength these days for longer climbs, or climbs where I am trying to ride up seated. Just don't seem to have the power on the hills when in the saddle.

Going well on the flat and probably a few kgs heavier this time than last year, but not major.The strange thing is that say on a 1 mile climb, I could climb a lot quicker (not comfortably), but I can get the power to get myself over and stay with the field, but most of the climb would be out of the saddle, with a few seated efforts to ease the legs. Idealy I would prefer to have the reverse to save the legs, but just can't seem to get the power seated?

bikerjoe said:
Seem to have no strength these days for longer climbs, or climbs where I am trying to ride up seated. Just don't seem to have the power on the hills when in the saddle.

Going well on the flat and probably a few kgs heavier this time than last year, but not major.The strange thing is that say on a 1 mile climb, I could climb a lot quicker (not comfortably), but I can get the power to get myself over and stay with the field, but most of the climb would be out of the saddle, with a few seated efforts to ease the legs. Idealy I would prefer to have the reverse to save the legs, but just can't seem to get the power seated?
I'm no expert, but if your training is of the same intensity as before, then it has to be those extra kilograms. I have found just losing a couple of kilograms makes all the difference. As RD told me, climbing is all about the power to weight ratio. So if you still have the power, then weight's your problem.
Lay off those cream cakes!:D TYSON

seated power comes more from your glutes and hamstrings. I improved my seated power this season by resistance training followed immediately by on the bike training. On a seated climb using the whole leg in the spin is what you want (more hamstrings on the upstroke). It saves your thighs for when you really need them.

Bikerjoe

Your seat hasn't slipped down a little without you realizing. This would give more bend in the knee & a little less power at 1 o'clock when seated? Just a thought.

Edit:- before i get kneecapped, 1 o'clock for both pedals looking from the RHS

Good point Albert 50. Will measure the length when I get home tonight.cheers