Excuse my lack of education.

Sillyoldtwit

Jan 13, 2006
Anyone know the exact meaning of Gran or Grand Fondo?

Have seen references to it in these forums, and the century I did on the 4 th of June was called the Gran Fondo Fukui. (Fukui being the prefecture)

The definition doesn't come on an internet search. TYSON.

Sounds like the "cyclosportives" they do in France; just like what was described in the above post. Usually (but not always) century-distance events with all manner of participants, however, the top finishers are sometimes neo-pros, top amateurs, or ex-pros.
In the event that you did in Fukui, however....who's to tell exactly why they named it as such?? The Japanese have a penchant for creatively stealing foreign terms and applying them without any rhyme or reason. For example, "International" events where not even one non-Japanese person is seen in attendance ;)

BikingBrian said:
The Japanese have a penchant for creatively stealing foreign terms and applying them without any rhyme or reason. For example, "International" events where not even one non-Japanese person is seen in attendance ;)
It's not just the Japanese. In the Miss Universe pageant, there's not a single contestant from outside this one planet. ;)

frenchyge said:
It's not just the Japanese. In the Miss Universe pageant, there's not a single contestant from outside this one planet. ;)
And what about The World Baseball Series, with the odd few countries participating? Absolutely no comparison with the FIFA World Soccer Cup with almost every country (including the US) taking part.:D

I suppose though it's in line with the inflated self-importance the US has of itself.;)

Sillyoldtwit said:
I suppose though it's in line with the inflated self-importance the US has of itself.;)
Hey, how'd you make that little leap in logic? We've already illustrated that the same phenomenon occurs with the Japanese, and with the earth in general with regard to its geo-centric views on beauty. :)

Sillyoldtwit said:
frenchyge said:
Hey, how'd you make that little leap in logic? We've already illustrated that the same phenomenon occurs with the Japanese, and with the earth in general with regard to its geo-centric views on beauty. :)
What do they call the Sumo championships in Japan? Hopefully not the World Sumo Championships, since I rarely see any of our fine American competitors entered (e.g., "Refrigerator" Perry -- oh, yeah, I forgot, he was a football player).:D

frenchyge said:
In the Miss Universe pageant, there's not a single contestant from outside this one planet. ;)

Apparently you have not tried to hold an intelligent conversation with some of them...

And I heard that the Tour of France goes to other countries...