Hi Ben,
Back in 1968 I took a bicycle trip around Lakes Michigan and Superior. It was a solo bicycle trip
and I was 16 years old at the time. Traffic around the part of Lake Michigan you are referring to
was awesome then. I think it is much more intense now. So I avoided that part. At the time there was
a ferry which crossed Lake Michigangoing from Milwaukee, WI to Ludington,
Mi. I elected that option. It was an 8 hour ferry ride.
I don't think that particular ferry route is available anymore. However I believe there is a ferry
from Mantowoc, WI to Ludington, MI.
I hope you enjoy your trip. It was sure enjoyable taking it during 1968.
Jim Ek
P.S. I don't know how much research you've done. Bicycles are not allowed on the Mackinac Bridge.
Your options are contacting the Bridge authorities and having them take you across, or
possibly you could take a Ferry from Mackinaw City to Mackinac Island, and then another ferry
from Mackinac Island to St. Ignace which is on the upper peninsula of Michigan. The ferries to
the islands are a very short trip....maybe 1/2 hour.
"Ben" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Fellow bent tourers,
I'm going to be taking a road tour around Lake
Michigan late in the
Quoted message said:spring. But I worry a bit about navigating the
industrial area of Gary
Quoted message said:and Hammond, Indiana. I'll be on my way around
the bottom of the lake
Quoted message said:toward Chicago.
Has anyone taken that route before? Is is
advisable?
Quoted message said:
Thanks for any assistance you might provide.
Tailwinds, Ben
--
Quoted message said:--------------------------<
Posted via cyclingforums.com cyclingforums.comcyclingforums.comOpen ↗