Road Cycling · Public discussion

Lance Armstrong will be on Larry King, CNN

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 10 posts · 651 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 August 2005
Last activity
26 August 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
651
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. To be broadcast at 01.00 GMT (02.00 Summer time) on Fri 26th Aug,
    that´ll be 9pm Thursday Eastern USA time and I think they will repeat
    it later. I find myself cringing when I watch Larry King sometimes, I
    really don´t know why he earns so much as I do not believe he is a
    good interviewer. But some of the crime stories followed are very
    entertaining, let´s see what they make of Lance´s "crime". Cheers, Ed
    in Spain.

  2. Is it true that Armstrong wrote in his book about doctors giving him
    EPO in his chemotherapy treatment? Did he really say that it kept him
    alive?

  3. Quoted message said:

    Is it true that Armstrong wrote in his book about doctors giving him
    EPO in his chemotherapy treatment? Did he really say that it kept him
    alive?

    EPO is very commonly given to cancer patients, as it increases the
    oxygen-carrying content of their blood (which is being reduced by the high
    volume of white blood cells, if I'm remembering correctly). You've probably
    even seen the ads for ProCrit (interesting name?) on television.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  4. Quoted message said:

    Is it true that Armstrong wrote in his book about doctors giving him
    EPO in his chemotherapy treatment? Did he really say that it kept him
    alive?

    Yes and yes. If you don't believe me, check the book out of the library
    and read it yourself like I did.

  5. Chemotheropy injects very powerful poisons into the body. These cause
    massive cell death in the blood. Previous to EPO a fairly large
    percentage of patients simply died because they were even too weak to
    eat. EPO is now a standard part of the treatment.

    This works SO well that a lady whom I know went through Chemo and was
    riding metric centuries the whole time. She wasn't strong, mind you,
    but she was doing it.

    The effects of EPO last for about 6-8 weeks at the most.

    Also remember that it has been shown that some athletes' bodies make a
    chemical that tests as rhEPO when they are stressed.

  6. "Tom Kunich" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Chemotheropy injects very powerful poisons into the body. These cause
    massive cell death in the blood. Previous to EPO a fairly large
    percentage of patients simply died because they were even too weak to
    eat. EPO is now a standard part of the treatment.

    This works SO well that a lady whom I know went through Chemo and was
    riding metric centuries the whole time. She wasn't strong, mind you,
    but she was doing it.

    The effects of EPO last for about 6-8 weeks at the most.

    Also remember that it has been shown that some athletes' bodies make a
    chemical that tests as rhEPO when they are stressed.

    Same for renal disease. While on dialysis I started taking EPO. I went from
    being on sick leave and sleeping 16 hours a day, to working fill time and
    commuting on my bike 20+ miles each way and playing full court basketball,
    raquetball, ultimate frisbee, etc.

    The only drug I've ever taken (and I've taken a lot) where I've noticed NO
    side effects. Praise be to Amgen!

  7. Quoted message said:

    Is it true that Armstrong wrote in his book about doctors giving him
    EPO in his chemotherapy treatment? Did he really say that it kept him
    alive?

    I believe he mentioned very briefly that he was administerd EPO for
    chemo-induced anemia. But it (the EPO) is not what saved his life.

    He related an anecdote of one of his first rides during treatment, and
    being dropped by a middle adged woman on a 3-speed, and collapsing in
    someones yard due to the anemia.

  8. Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is it true that Armstrong wrote in his book about doctors giving him
    EPO in his chemotherapy treatment? Did he really say that it kept him
    alive?

    EPO is very commonly given to cancer patients, as it increases the
    oxygen-carrying content of their blood (which is being reduced by the high
    volume of white blood cells, if I'm remembering correctly). You've probably
    even seen the ads for ProCrit (interesting name?) on television.

    Chemo kills cells that rapidly divide, because tumor cells rapidly
    divide. Red cell precursors rapidly divide. The skin cells inside
    your mouth all the way down your throat, past your stomach, to your
    anus are rapidly dividing. EPO at least helps the red cell count to
    bounce back between rounds of chemo.

  9. I have a friend who might have Cancer. It is good to know that EPO has
    helped alot of patients. I will let him know about it. I'm glad i
    learned something today.

    gym.gravity said:
    Mike Jacoubowsky said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is it true that Armstrong wrote in his book about doctors giving him
    EPO in his chemotherapy treatment? Did he really say that it kept him
    alive?

    EPO is very commonly given to cancer patients, as it increases the
    oxygen-carrying content of their blood (which is being reduced by the high
    volume of white blood cells, if I'm remembering correctly). You've probably
    even seen the ads for ProCrit (interesting name?) on television.

    Chemo kills cells that rapidly divide, because tumor cells rapidly
    divide. Red cell precursors rapidly divide. The skin cells inside
    your mouth all the way down your throat, past your stomach, to your
    anus are rapidly dividing. EPO at least helps the red cell count to
    bounce back between rounds of chemo.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a friend who might have Cancer. It is good to know that EPO has
    helped alot of patients. I will let him know about it. I'm glad i
    learned something today.

    One would hope that his/her doctor would know about EPO since it have been
    around for some time.
    --------------
    Alex

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.