Lance's ladies

In article <[email protected]>,
Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau schreef:

> > At any rate, the riding microphone was just a bit sad,

> You practicing your ability for understatement? Well done.

It was like Vande Velde on the Gavia.

> On Jun 4, 12:06 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >  Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >    Jeebus that was craptastic. EvH missed almost as many notes as that
> > > eight year old shredder earlier in the thread. Tuning? Huh? Whuzzat? Oh well,
> > > at least we didn't have to hear DLR yelping like a dog that just got it's paw
> > > stepped on (though the pony ride was inspiring - at least as long as it lasted).

> > As best as I can figure from the video's comments, the problem was that
> > the guitar tuning was knocked out of whack. The dissenting theory was a
> > synth track played back at the wrong speed, which isn't very likely.
> >
> > At any rate, the riding microphone was just a bit sad, and we can't
> > blame tuning for that.

> There's a more musically literate discussion at
> http://warmowski.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/jump-in-pitch/
> http://warmowski.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/whos-right-slap-fight/
> although it is hard to figure out who's right.
> Then, I just found, there is an expert Commission of Inquiry at
> http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/10/van-halens-jump.html
>
> I blame the guitar tuning, because guitarists and out-of-tune
> go together like Bobby Julich and pavement. As for an
> explanation for this fiasco? The best I can come up with
> is that Eddie's guitar tech is Doug Feith.

Ha... Yeah, the guitar is out compared to everything else. We don't know if he'd
just swapped guitars before that song or what but if he hadn't, there is time during
the keyboard intro part for him to check his tuning. Anyway, on a tour that size,
they would have some very competent techs, not some guy from down the street.
Whatever, it was a mess. It was interesting that in the Popwatch article, the
playback guy blamed the playback and seriously defended EvH.

> My theory doesn't explain DLR taking a bouncy ride
> on a giant phallic microphone, but I think that's going
> to stay one of Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns.

I think he borrowed that idea from Mick Jagger. Years ago he had an inflatable
penis that rose out of the stage and he'd "ride" that during their set.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Jun 4, 11:20 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>

>  "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 12:06 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > As best as I can figure from the video's comments, the problem was that
> > > the guitar tuning was knocked out of whack. The dissenting theory was a
> > > synth track played back at the wrong speed, which isn't very likely.

> > > At any rate, the riding microphone was just a bit sad, and we can't
> > > blame tuning for that.

> > There's a more musically literate discussion at
> >  http://warmowski.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/jump-in-pitch/
> >  http://warmowski.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/whos-right-slap-fight/
> > although it is hard to figure out who's right.
> > Then, I just found, there is an expert Commission of Inquiry at
> >  http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/10/van-halens-jump.html

> > I blame the guitar tuning, because guitarists and out-of-tune
> > go together like Bobby Julich and pavement.  As for an
> > explanation for this fiasco?  The best I can come up with
> > is that Eddie's guitar tech is Doug Feith.

>    Ha... Yeah, the guitar is out compared to everything else. We don'tknow if he'd
> just swapped guitars before that song or what but if he hadn't, there is time during
> the keyboard intro part for him to check his tuning. Anyway, on a tour that size,
> they would have some very competent techs, not some guy from down the street.

At a glance, maybe some pro techs are not so keen. For ex:

Clayton Janes (playback tech): I think it's a complete backing track
issue. [The synthesizer] is a digital recording off a computer and
normally played at a sample rate of 44.1k. In this case, I think it's
already been proven that a master clock source was at 48k, a higher
quality playback. What happens is that it transposes a pitch shift so
all of a sudden, it's playing three [half-]steps higher.

Unless I'm making a mistake, the sampling rate difference is about
midway between a half-step and whole-step.

>> format short,sr=48/44.1,hs1=2^(1/12),hs2=2^(2/12),hs1/sr,hs2/sr

sr =
1.0884
hs1 =
1.0595
hs2 =
1.1225
ans =
0.9734
ans =
1.0313

Lonnie Totman (guitar tech): It was 100 percent a guitar issue. All of
Eddie's guitars, except one, are tuned to E flat. He typically has one
in E, a half step off, for a couple of songs, and he was either handed
that one or he grabbed it.

There was a comment that the keyboard (and everything but EVH) were
sharp compared to the studio version. If that was intentional, then
the guitar EVH would have needed is the one tuned to E, just the
opposite of what Totman says.

> Whatever, it was a mess. It was interesting that in the Popwatch article, the
> playback guy blamed the playback and seriously defended EvH.
>
> > My theory doesn't explain DLR taking a bouncy ride
> > on a giant phallic microphone, but I think that's going
> > to stay one of Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns.

>    I think he borrowed that idea from Mick Jagger. Years ago he had aninflatable
> penis that rose out of the stage and he'd "ride" that during their set.

I don't get how a man riding a phallic symbol is supposed to attract
hot chicks. It is very strange.

In article
<caf25517-e382-40ee-8a2d-4e2e3559efbc@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 11:20 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,

> > > There's a more musically literate discussion at
> > >  http://warmowski.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/jump-in-pitch/
> > >  http://warmowski.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/whos-right-slap-fight/
> > > although it is hard to figure out who's right.
> > > Then, I just found, there is an expert Commission of Inquiry at
> > >  http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/10/van-halens-jump.html

> > > I blame the guitar tuning, because guitarists and out-of-tune
> > > go together like Bobby Julich and pavement.  As for an
> > > explanation for this fiasco?  The best I can come up with
> > > is that Eddie's guitar tech is Doug Feith.

> >    Ha... Yeah, the guitar is out compared to everything else. We don't know if he'd
> > just swapped guitars before that song or what but if he hadn't, there is time during
> > the keyboard intro part for him to check his tuning. Anyway, on a tour that size,
> > they would have some very competent techs, not some guy from down the street.

> At a glance, maybe some pro techs are not so keen. For ex:
>
> Clayton Janes (playback tech): I think it's a complete backing track
> issue. [The synthesizer] is a digital recording off a computer and
> normally played at a sample rate of 44.1k. In this case, I think it's
> already been proven that a master clock source was at 48k, a higher
> quality playback. What happens is that it transposes a pitch shift so
> all of a sudden, it's playing three [half-]steps higher.
>
> Unless I'm making a mistake, the sampling rate difference is about
> midway between a half-step and whole-step.
>
> >> format short,sr=48/44.1,hs1=2^(1/12),hs2=2^(2/12),hs1/sr,hs2/sr

> sr =
> 1.0884
> hs1 =
> 1.0595
> hs2 =
> 1.1225
> ans =
> 0.9734
> ans =
> 1.0313
>

> Lonnie Totman (guitar tech): It was 100 percent a guitar issue. All of
> Eddie's guitars, except one, are tuned to E flat. He typically has one
> in E, a half step off, for a couple of songs, and he was either handed
> that one or he grabbed it.
>
> There was a comment that the keyboard (and everything but EVH) were
> sharp compared to the studio version. If that was intentional, then
> the guitar EVH would have needed is the one tuned to E, just the
> opposite of what Totman says.

I have no idea what happened.
The wrong guitar theory needs to explain EvH not transposing.
Was he too wasted or angry to care?
Looks like nobody is going to say what happened. They would
rather milk the story. In the discussion where three `experts'
promoted mutually exclusive theories, one of them filled most
pronouncements with qualifiers and hypotheticals. I think they
are laughing at us.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:

> I have no idea what happened.
> The wrong guitar theory needs to explain EvH not transposing.
> Was he too wasted or angry to care?
> Looks like nobody is going to say what happened. They would
> rather milk the story. In the discussion where three `experts'
> promoted mutually exclusive theories, one of them filled most
> pronouncements with qualifiers and hypotheticals. I think they
> are laughing at us.

I think nobody is talking because they saw what happened to Roger Clemens.
If this goes the way I think it will (congressional investigation with
subpoenas), everyone knows the best thing to do it to shut up so that you
won't contradict your public statements during sworn testimony (it also
helps not to be tapping teenage country music stars as well, but that goes
without saying except that I did say it). Also, there might be national
security issues at stake in that if the synthesizer was reprogrammed
remotely, using remote viewing, Cameron Vale, or a hacked iPhone, the DoD
doesn't want that to get out since the same chip used in the Roland is also
used in the W-88, W-78, and B-83. But you didn't hear that from me.

--
Bill Asher

On Jun 5, 11:15 am, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <caf25517-e382-40ee-8a2d-4e2e3559e...@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
>  SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 4, 11:20 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >    Ha... Yeah, the guitar is out compared to everything else. We don't know if he'd
> > > just swapped guitars before that song or what but if he hadn't, there is time during
> > > the keyboard intro part for him to check his tuning. Anyway, on a tourthat size,
> > > they would have some very competent techs, not some guy from down the street.

> > At a glance, maybe some pro techs are not so keen.  For ex:

> > Clayton Janes (playback tech): I think it's a complete backing track
> > issue. [The synthesizer] is a digital recording off a computer and
> > normally played at a sample rate of 44.1k. In this case, I think it's
> > already been proven that a master clock source was at 48k, a higher
> > quality playback. What happens is that it transposes a pitch shift so
> > all of a sudden, it's playing three [half-]steps higher.

> > Unless I'm making a mistake, the sampling rate difference is about
> > midway between a half-step and whole-step.

> > sr =
> >     1.0884
> > hs1 =
> >     1.0595
> > hs2 =
> >     1.1225
> > ans =
> >     0.9734
> > ans =
> >     1.0313

> > Lonnie Totman (guitar tech): It was 100 percent a guitar issue. All of
> > Eddie's guitars, except one, are tuned to E flat. He typically has one
> > in E, a half step off, for a couple of songs, and he was either handed
> > that one or he grabbed it.

> > There was a comment that the keyboard (and everything but EVH) were
> > sharp compared to the studio version.  If that was intentional, then
> > the guitar EVH would have needed is the one tuned to E, just the
> > opposite of what Totman says.

> I have no idea what happened.
> The wrong guitar theory needs to explain EvH not transposing.

It isn't quite that simple. With guitar, the use of open strings --
and the consequent unique fingerings -- ultimately require that the
(open) tuning is done in the right key. Moreover, the muscle memory
of the player, and tonal quality plus attack, are also dependent on
the correct tuning. So while it would be better than not transposing
at all, many of the characteristic sounds would simply not be
available by transposing on-the-spot. It would be a ghost version of
the song, since Van Halen is a rock guitar music band.

> Was he too wasted or angry to care?

I can't give any good reason why they did not stop then restart
correctly.

If he had been using his Steinberger with its transtrem, he could have
easily got the tuning locked in on-the-spot, if indeed the problem was
his guitar. He would have lost the floating whammy though, because
you can only float it (including the Steinberger) given an equilibrium
at the open tuning.

He changes the guitar open tuning (key) during the song with a
Steinberger transtrem in this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIOAw36Vlsw

You can really hear the change back up to the higher tuning at the end
of the solo.

> Looks like nobody is going to say what happened.

I know I could figure it out by certain technical tests, if it were
worth it to me. It isn't worth it to me.

> They would
> rather milk the story. In the discussion where three `experts'
> promoted mutually exclusive theories, one of them filled most
> pronouncements with qualifiers and hypotheticals. I think they
> are laughing at us.

I think if I cared about that sort of thing I would not be a usenet
poster.

In article <caf25517-e382-40ee-8a2d-4e2e3559efbc@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 11:20 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article

> >    Ha... Yeah, the guitar is out compared to everything else. We don't know
> > if he'd just swapped guitars before that song or what but if he hadn't, there is
> > time during the keyboard intro part for him to check his tuning. Anyway, on a
> > tour that size, they would have some very competent techs, not some guy from
> > down the street.

> At a glance, maybe some pro techs are not so keen.

I should say that they may not be able to explain what is happening but they
generally can actually do what's expected of them pretty damn well.

> For ex:
>
> Clayton Janes (playback tech): I think it's a complete backing track
> issue. [The synthesizer] is a digital recording off a computer and
> normally played at a sample rate of 44.1k. In this case, I think it's
> already been proven that a master clock source was at 48k, a higher
> quality playback. What happens is that it transposes a pitch shift so
> all of a sudden, it's playing three [half-]steps higher.
>
> Unless I'm making a mistake, the sampling rate difference is about
> midway between a half-step and whole-step.
>
> >> format short,sr=48/44.1,hs1=2^(1/12),hs2=2^(2/12),hs1/sr,hs2/sr

> sr =
> 1.0884
> hs1 =
> 1.0595
> hs2 =
> 1.1225
> ans =
> 0.9734
> ans =
> 1.0313
>
> Lonnie Totman (guitar tech): It was 100 percent a guitar issue. All of
> Eddie's guitars, except one, are tuned to E flat. He typically has one
> in E, a half step off, for a couple of songs, and he was either handed
> that one or he grabbed it.
>
> There was a comment that the keyboard (and everything but EVH) were
> sharp compared to the studio version. If that was intentional, then
> the guitar EVH would have needed is the one tuned to E, just the
> opposite of what Totman says.

I saw a comment on the YouTube page about the keyboards being "1.5 octaves too
high" - um, right... I'm going to fool around with playing something I've recorded at
a higher sample rate this weekend. I'm curious if it can do what he said.

> > Whatever, it was a mess. It was interesting that in the Popwatch article, the
> > playback guy blamed the playback and seriously defended EvH.

On reflection, I bet he says that because he's wangling to get the job with Van
Halen on their next tour.

> > > My theory doesn't explain DLR taking a bouncy ride
> > > on a giant phallic microphone, but I think that's going
> > > to stay one of Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns.

> >    I think he borrowed that idea from Mick Jagger. Years ago he had an
> > inflatable penis that rose out of the stage and he'd "ride" that during their set.

> I don't get how a man riding a phallic symbol is supposed to attract
> hot chicks. It is very strange.

I suppose the idea is to give the ladies the idea that the person riding the phaux
phallus is packing enormous equipment. Also (a very important 'also', btw): it
depends on who is riding the enormous inflatable penis.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article
> <caf25517-e382-40ee-8a2d-4e2e3559efbc@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
> SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 4, 11:20 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article

> > >    Ha... Yeah, the guitar is out compared to everything else. We don't
> > > know
> > > if he'd just swapped guitars before that song or what but if he hadn't,
> > > there is
> > > time during the keyboard intro part for him to check his tuning. Anyway,
> > > on a
> > > tour that size, they would have some very competent techs, not some guy
> > > from
> > > down the street.

> > There was a comment that the keyboard (and everything but EVH) were
> > sharp compared to the studio version. If that was intentional, then
> > the guitar EVH would have needed is the one tuned to E, just the
> > opposite of what Totman says.

> I saw a comment on the YouTube page about the keyboards being "1.5 octaves
> too
> high" - um, right... I'm going to fool around with playing something I've
> recorded at
> a higher sample rate this weekend. I'm curious if it can do what he said.

There are also other YouTube videos of them playing that encore
elsewhere on the same tour. Compare and see if the keyboards are in the
same key and, roughly, the same tempo (I don't know if they're using a
loop or an offstage keyboardist).

ObEuro: I'm trying to track down some info on a 19th century Friedrich
Hoxa grand piano. So if the Benjo Maso of keyboards is out there, I need
your digits.

In article <rcousine-D4488B.08155906062008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <caf25517-e382-40ee-8a2d-4e2e3559efbc@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
> > SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > There was a comment that the keyboard (and everything but EVH) were
> > > sharp compared to the studio version. If that was intentional, then
> > > the guitar EVH would have needed is the one tuned to E, just the
> > > opposite of what Totman says.

> > I saw a comment on the YouTube page about the keyboards being "1.5
> > octaves too high" - um, right... I'm going to fool around with playing
> > something I've recorded at a higher sample rate this weekend. I'm curious
> > if it can do what he said.

> There are also other YouTube videos of them playing that encore
> elsewhere on the same tour. Compare and see if the keyboards are in the
> same key and, roughly, the same tempo (I don't know if they're using a
> loop or an offstage keyboardist).

I can't subject myself to that much Van Halen. I don't believe they're using a
live keyboard player.

--

Howard Kveck wrote:
> I can't subject myself to that much Van Halen.

Now Cheney knows what to use on you if waterboarding doesn't work.

[email protected] wrote:

> On Jun 1, 8:20 am, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>MagillaGorilla wrote:

>>>Eddie van Halen was, and still is, JESUS.

>>How long has He been dead?

> Dumbasses,
>
> At least since September 2007:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjx_GjyXCs4
>
> Please watch this. For the sake of the children.
> It's the most wheels-off performance since 7-Eleven's
> Tour TTT.
>
> If you think the guitar lead at 2:00 isn't enough,
> wait for DLR's pony ride at 4:00.
>
> This is what finally convinced me that the
> Eighties are actually over.
>
> Ben

Dude,

I'm talking about old VH, not this retirement tour nonsense. Eddie
doesn't take himself serious anymore. Neither does Dave.

You wouldn't see that nonsense back in 1982.

Magilla