Lance's shifters in stages 12 & 13: STI/downtube/mix

shadan ardalan

Guest
i noticed in pics from stage 12, Lance was using "conventional"
downtube shifters (actually, what i really noticed were the brake
levers on his handlebars because there were no ugly cables sticking
out of them and i know that Lance didn't switch to Campy in the middle
of the race, and i'm pretty sure that Lance didn't switch to a track
bike ;-) ).

anyway, in pics from stage 13, i noticed that Lance's handlebars had
the STI brake lever/shifter on the right side and just the brake lever
on the left side (and zooming in for closer inspection confirmed that
there was a downtube shifter on the right side).

now i know that different bikes are used for mountain stages versus
flat stages due to performance issues (gearing, weight, geometry,
etc....). however, has anyone ever read, or can anyone speculate, why
Lance uses different configurations on the shifting mechanism?

btw, i did notice that Basso strickly used STI on those same stages.

just wondering,
shadan

"shadan ardalan" <[email protected]...
> i noticed in pics from stage 12, Lance was using "conventional"
> downtube shifters (actually, what i really noticed were the brake
> levers on his handlebars because there were no ugly cables sticking
> out of them and i know that Lance didn't switch to Campy in the middle
> of the race, and i'm pretty sure that Lance didn't switch to a track
> bike ;-) ).

Lance has been using that downtube shifter trick on his mtn climbing bike
for years.

> anyway, in pics from stage 13, i noticed that Lance's handlebars had
> the STI brake lever/shifter on the right side and just the brake lever
> on the left side (and zooming in for closer inspection confirmed that
> there was a downtube shifter on the right side).
>
> now i know that different bikes

"shadan ardalan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i noticed in pics from stage 12, Lance was using "conventional"
> downtube shifters (actually, what i really noticed were the brake
> levers on his handlebars because there were no ugly cables sticking
> out of them and i know that Lance didn't switch to Campy in the middle
> of the race, and i'm pretty sure that Lance didn't switch to a track
> bike ;-) ).
>
> anyway, in pics from stage 13, i noticed that Lance's handlebars had
> the STI brake lever/shifter on the right side and just the brake lever
> on the left side (and zooming in for closer inspection confirmed that
> there was a downtube shifter on the right side).
>
> now i know that different bikes are used for mountain stages versus
> flat stages due to performance issues (gearing, weight, geometry,
> etc....). however, has anyone ever read, or can anyone speculate, why
> Lance uses different configurations on the shifting mechanism?
>
> btw, i did notice that Basso strickly used STI on those same stages.
>

> just wondering,
> shadan

Its a weight thing- sti shifters are heavier, and when it comes to the
moment of truth, he would have only used the front shifter 7/8 times the
whole day.

Simon

"Simon" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...

> "shadan ardalan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > i noticed in pics from stage 12, Lance was using "conventional"
> > downtube shifters (actually, what i really noticed were the brake
> > levers on his handlebars because there were no ugly cables sticking
> > out of them and i know that Lance didn't switch to Campy in the middle
> > of the race, and i'm pretty sure that Lance didn't switch to a track
> > bike ;-) ).
> >
> > anyway, in pics from stage 13, i noticed that Lance's handlebars had
> > the STI brake lever/shifter on the right side and just the brake lever
> > on the left side (and zooming in for closer inspection confirmed that
> > there was a downtube shifter on the right side).
> >
> > now i know that different bikes are used for mountain stages versus
> > flat stages due to performance issues (gearing, weight, geometry,
> > etc....). however, has anyone ever read, or can anyone speculate, why
> > Lance uses different configurations on the shifting mechanism?
> >
> > btw, i did notice that Basso strickly used STI on those same stages.
> >

> > just wondering,
> > shadan

> Its a weight thing- sti shifters are heavier, and when it comes to the
> moment of truth, he would have only used the front shifter 7/8 times the
> whole day.
>
> Simon

How many times does he use the front shifter on the flat stages? Why does he
not use the same set up in the flat stages?

Lou

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> How many times does he use the front shifter on the flat stages? Why
> does he not use the same set up in the flat stages?

Weight is much more important on a mountain climb that on a flat stage.

"Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Its a weight thing- sti shifters are heavier, and when it comes to the
> moment of truth, he would have only used the front shifter 7/8 times the
> whole day.

it probably is a weight thing, but it is also easier to drop the chain
with front STI. with a dt shifter it's easier to "finesse" the shift.

i've seen dropped chains even in pro races.

Amit wrote:

> "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Its a weight thing- sti shifters are heavier, and when it comes to the
>>moment of truth, he would have only used the front shifter 7/8 times the
>>whole day.
>>

> it probably is a weight thing, but it is also easier to drop the chain
> with front STI. with a dt shifter it's easier to "finesse" the shift.
>
> i've seen dropped chains even in pro races.

Dropped chain today, in a fast moving bunch. Shifted up, shifted back
down, no problem, just leaves a few scratches on my beautiful crank
*sob* *sniff*

shadan ardalan wrote:

> now i know that different bikes are used for mountain stages versus
> flat stages due to performance issues (gearing, weight, geometry,
> etc....). however, has anyone ever read, or can anyone speculate, why
> Lance uses different configurations on the shifting mechanism?

The weight advantage would be worth about 1 bike length on the final
climb of stage 13, I think. Winning margin at this level.

It saves a bunch of weight.

"Rhesus Monkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> are you an alternate for the U.S. Postal Team?
> "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
> > How many times does he use the front shifter on the flat stages? Why
> > does he not use the same set up in the flat stages?

> Weight is much more important on a mountain climb that on a flat stage.
> --

I'm not so sure it's a weight thing. Many pro bikes can actually be
set up in a conventional way and weigh less than the UCI minimum.

LGF

LGF wrote:

> I'm not so sure it's a weight thing. Many pro bikes can actually be
> set up in a conventional way and weigh less than the UCI minimum.
>
> LGF

What's the enforcement of the UCI mass rule? Do these replacement bikes
get checked?

Maybe the unreliable brifter broke being a Shimano & all. Armstrong
was forced to do a last minute repair before the stage. I'm sure with
no spares available one has to make do. I have even noticed him using
outdated brake parts from the early 80's in the TT stages because the
new stuff is so bad. The rumer is he even has a
Campagnolo tattoo just below his waist...

Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message news:<40FBD378.8000506@i_e_e_e.o_r_g>...
> LGF wrote:
>

> > I'm not so sure it's a weight thing. Many pro bikes can actually be
> > set up in a conventional way and weigh less than the UCI minimum.
> >
> > LGF

> What's the enforcement of the UCI mass rule? Do these replacement bikes
> get checked?

Yes they do. I find it funny too since almost all the teams are having
problems keeping their bike over the weight limit. I also swore in the
LA Crons that postal had the problem as well.

RVD

IMKen wrote:

> It saves a bunch of weight.

Probably in the neighborhood of 60 g (about 2 oz). It isn't zero, but I wouldn't characterize it as
a "bunch.

"gwhite" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...

> IMKen wrote:
> >
> > It saves a bunch of weight.

> Probably in the neighborhood of 60 g (about 2 oz). It isn't zero, but I

wouldn't characterize it as
> a "bunch.

So that can't be the main reason.

Lou

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> writes:

> "gwhite" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> IMKen wrote:
>> >
>> > It saves a bunch of weight.

>> Probably in the neighborhood of 60 g (about 2 oz). It isn't zero,
>> but I wouldn't characterize it as a "bunch.

> So that can't be the main reason.

Actually it is. Lance Armstrong has publicly stated- on several
occasions- that he would happily do modifications to the bike that
would take off 5 grams; 60 grams is a huge bonus by comparison. The
differences of course are much more psychological than physical at
that point.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "gwhite" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > IMKen wrote:
> > >
> > > It saves a bunch of weight.

> > Probably in the neighborhood of 60 g (about 2 oz). It isn't zero, but I

> wouldn't characterize it as
> > a "bunch.

> So that can't be the main reason.
>
> Lou

A couple possible reasons: You can more easily trim the front mech. to
not rub the chain with downtube levers. You can ease the chain from big
ring to small, so there should be less chance of dropping a chain.

One thing to note is that the shape of the old style brake lever/hood is
very different from the new stuff, so it can feel a little awkward with
that combination.

--
tanx,
Howard

So far, so good, so what?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:13:42 -0700, gwhite <[email protected]> wrote:

>IMKen wrote:
>>
>> It saves a bunch of weight.

>Probably in the neighborhood of 60 g (about 2 oz). It isn't zero, but I wouldn't characterize it as
>a "bunch.

Isn't part of that where the weight is? As in, lower and rearward is better, and
especially getting it off the handlebars while climbing.

Ron

[email protected] (shadan ardalan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> i noticed in pics from stage 12, Lance was using "conventional"
> downtube shifters (actually, what i really noticed were the brake
> levers on his handlebars because there were no ugly cables sticking
> out of them and i know that Lance didn't switch to Campy in the middle
> of the race, and i'm pretty sure that Lance didn't switch to a track
> bike ;-) ).
>
> anyway, in pics from stage 13, i noticed that Lance's handlebars had
> the STI brake lever/shifter on the right side and just the brake lever
> on the left side (and zooming in for closer inspection confirmed that
> there was a downtube shifter on the right side).

Not exactly news.
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&...e=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=lance+shifter+&btnG=Search

DR