UK and Europe · Public discussion

Landis Testing Positive

Started by dannyfrankszzz · · Last activity · 62 posts · 1,377 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
27 July 2006
Last activity
29 July 2006
Original author
dannyfrankszzz
Posts
62
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,377
Views / 30 days
16

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 62
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Simon Brooke said:

    But, Landis' ratio was allegedly 11:1, which is clearly anomalous. But,
    the reason why it was anomalous was not that his T level was unusually
    high - it wasn't (and reading between the lines it may even have been
    low) but that his E level was very low indeed. Which you might get if
    you'd been boosting your testosterone regularly for months and months
    and months, but Landis hadn't - he'd been routinely tested the day
    before (and on several occasions before that), because he was in yellow.

    So there's something very odd about this.

    Extreme glycogen replacement from the previous day?
    Just a thought. Haven't managed to back it up with a reasonable
    reference from PubMed.

    regards,
    d.

  2. Quoted message said:


    Many years ago the following statement was attributed to Hinault.

    "You cannot cycle the Tour de France on Perrier"

    Not Hinault. Anquetil I believe.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  3. Tony Raven said:


    a) not judging him guilty before the whole story has come out. There is

    While I'd like to agree with you, I feel that I have been taken for a ride
    too often by riders saying 'it wasn't be guv' and then subsequently being
    proved to have doped to take this attitude.

    Until people like Riis and Saiz are forced out as well, and not just the
    riders, the sport will never clean itself up.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  4. Arthur Clune wrote on 28/07/2006 10:50 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Tony Raven said:

    a) not judging him guilty before the whole story has come out. There is

    While I'd like to agree with you, I feel that I have been taken for a ride
    too often by riders saying 'it wasn't be guv' and then subsequently being
    proved to have doped to take this attitude.

    And while agreeing with you, the anti-doping labs and people,
    particularly this lab and WADA have been disingenuous enough recently
    that I am prepared to suspend belief in their pronouncements until
    someone I can trust confirms it. Remember [censored] Pound still insists that
    Armstrong doped in 1999 on the basis of evidence that has been roundly
    discredited, along with the performance of him and WADA, by an
    independent official investigation. He and LNDD also refused to
    cooperate with the investigation. Until people like Pound and LNDD are
    also put out of business I don't know who to trust.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  5. Tony Raven said:

    cooperate with the investigation. Until people like Pound and LNDD are
    also put out of business I don't know who to trust.

    Sadly true. Mind, I don't know if I can trust Armstrong either.

    I've come to the sad conculusion that we'll never know about most
    of this stuff.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  6. Arthur Clune wrote on 28/07/2006 12:19 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    Sadly true. Mind, I don't know if I can trust Armstrong either.

    And the saddest thing is what should have been a real boost for cycling
    and a role model is mired instead in murky allegations and political
    infighting where, as you say, we will likely never know the real truth.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  7. On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:33:21 +0100, Simon Brooke
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    But, Landis' ratio was allegedly 11:1, which is clearly anomalous. But,
    the reason why it was anomalous was not that his T level was unusually
    high - it wasn't (and reading between the lines it may even have been
    low) but that his E level was very low indeed. Which you might get if
    you'd been boosting your testosterone regularly for months and months
    and months, but Landis hadn't - he'd been routinely tested the day
    before (and on several occasions before that), because he was in yellow.

    So there's something very odd about this.


    FWIW I concur.
    A former TdF competitor (sorry, don't remember the name but he was US
    and not LeMond or Armstrong) interviewed on CNN this morning stated
    that the ratio was anomalously high because Landis' E level *was* low.
    He did not cite his authority for this view but went on to say that
    Landis 'had low testosterone levels'.

    I presume that his view arose from other tests that Landis underwent
    during his cycling career. It may be possible that an examination of
    Landis' historical testosterone/epitestosterone ratios might reveal
    him to be an outlier in the normal distribution which I assume applies
    (although a cynic might expect not to find a particularly normal
    distribution of blood chemistry among TdF competitors).

    Pete Connors

  8. Pete Connors said:

    (although a cynic might expect not to find a particularly normal
    distribution of blood chemistry among TdF competitors).


    Why a cynic? Competitors with a below average blood chemistry are less
    likely to make it to the absolute top!

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  9. Tony Raven said:


    And the saddest thing is what should have been a real boost for cycling
    and a role model is mired instead in murky allegations and political
    infighting where, as you say, we will likely never know the real truth.

    So very true.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  10. Pete Connors wrote on 28/07/2006 12:39 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW I concur.
    A former TdF competitor (sorry, don't remember the name but he was US
    and not LeMond or Armstrong) interviewed on CNN this morning stated
    that the ratio was anomalously high because Landis' E level *was* low.
    He did not cite his authority for this view but went on to say that
    Landis 'had low testosterone levels'.

    So what is he being accused of - having his testosterone removed?

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  11. dannyfrankszzz said:

    I can't believe this! Pro cycling has to be about the biggest joke
    going.

    And there was me cheering Landis on Stage 17.

    God, I feel like such an idiot.

    --
    dannyfrankszzz

    It is a mistake. He hasn't doped.

  12. in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:

    Simon Brooke wrote on 28/07/2006 09:14 +0100:

    Quoted message said:


    But you're absolutely right to pull me up for assuming guilt.

    Will you stop agreeing with me dammit! ;-)

    No! I shan't! So there! What are you going to do about it?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left

  13. MO said:
    dannyfrankszzz said:

    I can't believe this! Pro cycling has to be about the biggest joke
    going.

    And there was me cheering Landis on Stage 17.

    God, I feel like such an idiot.

    --
    dannyfrankszzz

    It is a mistake. He hasn't doped.


    CyclingNews says - "Asked whether he had ever taken any performance
    enhancing substances, Landis replied, "I'll say no. The problem I have
    here again is that most of the public has an idea about cycling because
    of the way things have gone in the past. So I'll say no, knowing that a
    lot of people will assume I'm guilty before I've had a chance to defend
    myself, but there you have it.""

    So why didn't he just say "no" to the question? I'll say no is not
    exactly the same as a denial...

    Dicovery? Phonak? Santi Botero too.... Proved innocent by reputable
    Doctor Fuentes over the same charges as Landis; but then did a runner
    when the Puerto list appeared. I wonder why? He wasn't on it ...

    :-((

    Dan Gregory

  14. Simon Brooke wrote on 28/07/2006 15:28 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:

    Simon Brooke wrote on 28/07/2006 09:14 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    But you're absolutely right to pull me up for assuming guilt.


    Will you stop agreeing with me dammit! ;-)

    No! I shan't! So there! What are you going to do about it?

    That's better. Ladies and Gentlemen, normal service has been resumed ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  15. John said:

    It seems a lot of people would rather that the drugs problem in cycling were
    brushed under the carpet rather than sorted out.

    I see other cyclists are choosing to empathise with riders (Landis) who give
    a positive test rather than condemning drug use, that can't be right.

    I would have preferred it if you had not posted this as a reply to my
    post and that of Tony Raven - it seems unconnected with what either of
    us said (you quoted our comments about loss of TV coverage).

    --
    Peter Headland

  16. Tony Raven said:

    not judging him guilty before the whole story has come out.

    Arthur Clune said:

    While I'd like to agree with you, I feel that I have been taken for a ride
    too often by riders saying 'it wasn't be guv' and then subsequently being
    proved to have doped to take this attitude.

    Sorry, that doesn't justify the rush to condemn someone before due
    process has been followed. What's the hurry?

    --
    Peter Headland

  17. (Arthur Clune) said:

    the sport will never clean itself up.

    I can't see how it can when it's people who ride the bikes are leading
    the charge.

    I'm surprised nobody has made a reference to the phone-in on Radio 5
    this morning [which I frequently can't abide], but it was about this
    very issue of drug taking in sport, and I have to say very interesting
    it was too. To anybody interested, here is the listen again link.
    Thankfully it was Matthew Bannister and not Victoria Derbyshire in the
    studio today. There's some Professer guy [sorry I didn't catch his
    name] who appears about half-way through who, for me, hits the nail
    perfectly. Typically, these phone-ins are set up with those for the
    cause and those against,which offten leads not nothing informative,
    but just entrenched opinions, but I'd say this is one of the better
    ones. It's an hour program.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/morning.shtml

    [If anybody reads this on Saturday it's the Friday link you want :-]

    Garry

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    The more one reads about it the murkier it gets. Normally human males
    produce roughly equal amounts of testosterone and epitestosterone.
    Epitestosterone is a precursor hormone - the body produces it to tell
    itself it needs more testosterone. So late in a stage race when the
    body's been under stress for two weeks, normally a person's natural
    testosterone levels would be low and their epitestosterone would be
    higher.

    If testosterone (T) is significantly higher than epitestosterone (E) it
    suggests that testosterone has been boosted artificially, both because
    artificial boosting increases T and because it suppresses E. Until
    recently, the IOC and other drug testing bodies reckoned that a E:T
    ratio of 6:1 was evidence of guilt. Even at that, there were a few
    people who naturally triggered the test. Recently the UCI (and I'm not
    sure whether this is actually the UCI or WADA or the IOC or some wider
    collection of organisations) has reduced the trigger ratio to 4:1, so
    naturally there will be a lot more false positives.

    But, Landis' ratio was allegedly 11:1, which is clearly anomalous. But,
    the reason why it was anomalous was not that his T level was unusually
    high - it wasn't (and reading between the lines it may even have been
    low) but that his E level was very low indeed. Which you might get if
    you'd been boosting your testosterone regularly for months and months
    and months, but Landis hadn't - he'd been routinely tested the day
    before (and on several occasions before that), because he was in yellow.

    So there's something very odd about this.

    I am not a doctor, nor I have pretended to be one for the purposes of
    joining an exclusive golf club, but a bloke on the telly last night said
    that athletes taking testosterone did so to improve muscle build-up. As
    Simon said, Landis had been in yellow before, ergo he /must/ have been
    tested earlier in the race. The idea that a rider would take
    testosterone for just one stage in the middle of the race is beyond
    belief, not least because, if my understanding of the way these things
    work is even in the same county as the truth, it would have no
    performance-enhancing effect whatsoever.

    Squarely in the Land of Odd indeed.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    I'm just a primitive creature of the heath, so pardon my savage
    ignorance.

  19. On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:28:06 +0100, Tony Raven <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Pete Connors wrote on 28/07/2006 12:39 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    FWIW I concur.
    A former TdF competitor (sorry, don't remember the name but he was US
    and not LeMond or Armstrong) interviewed on CNN this morning stated
    that the ratio was anomalously high because Landis' E level *was* low.
    He did not cite his authority for this view but went on to say that
    Landis 'had low testosterone levels'.

    So what is he being accused of - having his testosterone removed?


    If anything he is 'accused' of having his epistestosterone 'removed'.
    AIUI this does not have the same physiological effect as whacking a
    bit of t. into your system and it may well be an artefact of his
    particular metabolism. Or sloppy lab technique.

    Pete Connonrs

  20. FWIW, in today's interviews this side of the pond, Landis was saying he
    has "naturally high T levels". So the story that T was normal/low and E
    was super-low doesn't seem to be true.

    --
    Peter Headland

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.