A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of the
UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"
Who can help?
Thanks,
brockie
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of the
UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"
Who can help?
Thanks,
brockie
I assume he means direct!
"Mike Brockhurst" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of the
UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"Who can help?
Thanks,
brockie
There's a book by Andrew McCloy (Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/6zzg3) that
might be helpful. It gives three routes.
It's something that's tempted me, but getting the time to do it? I'll have
to wait til I retire!
"Mike Brockhurst" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of the
UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"Who can help?
Thanks,
brockie
I noticed that Message-ID: <[email hidden]> from
Mike Brockhurst contained the following:
Quoted message said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of the
UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"
He wants to find his way from Lands End to John O' Groats but he can't
find routes? This is not looking good...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Lands+End+to+John+O%27+Groats+route&meta=
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the
wonderful person Geoff Berrow <[email hidden]> said
<snip>
Quoted message said:He wants to find his way from Lands End to John O' Groats but he can't
find routes? This is not looking good...
He was probably hoping to avoid the M5/M6. 8>.
--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.
GSV Three Minds in a Can said:Bitstring <[email hidden]>, from the
wonderful person Geoff Berrow <[email hidden]> said
<snip>Quoted message said:He wants to find his way from Lands End to John O' Groats but he can't
find routes? This is not looking good...He was probably hoping to avoid the M5/M6. 8>.
Walking would probably be quicker than driving!
Mike Brockhurst said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of the
UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"Who can help?
By road? Or by footpath? If the latter then getting a copy of
"Hamish's Groats End Walk" from the library could give him a few
ideas. If the former then he has my sincere commiserations.
--
Stop ID cards and the Database State
http://www.no2id.net/
Hi Mike,
Mike Brockhurst said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of the
UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"
There is a book by John Hillaby :
From : http://www.zebra.net/~ernie.seckinger/1999.htm
"John Hillaby: Journey Through Britain: By footpath & track. A unabridged
Recorded Books. A most incredible tale of a simple walk through Britain from
Cornwall to the tip of Scotland. It let me know that I had miles to go before I
could say I understood British geography, but inspired me to do that. One always
loves mentions of ancestral places: his mention for me the Quantock Hills."
It is not very recent, but it should give you some ideas.
Mind you, he did loose a couple of toe nails in the process...
Koen.
In message <[email hidden]>, Koen Velle <"Koen
Velle"@?.?.invalid> writes
Quoted message said:Hi Mike,
Mike Brockhurst said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length
of the UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful
information about routes etc?"There is a book by John Hillaby :
From : http://www.zebra.net/~ernie.seckinger/1999.htm
"John Hillaby: Journey Through Britain: By footpath & track. A
unabridged Recorded Books. A most incredible tale of a simple walk
through Britain from Cornwall to the tip of Scotland. It let me know
that I had miles to go before I could say I understood British
geography, but inspired me to do that. One always loves mentions of
ancestral places: his mention for me the Quantock Hills."It is not very recent, but it should give you some ideas.
Mind you, he did loose a couple of toe nails in the process...Koen.
Journey Through Britain is excellent but certainly not very recent. It
was published in 1968. Also worth reading is Hamish Brown's Groats End
Walk.
The book for planning an End to End walk is Andrew McCloy's The Land's
End to John O'Groats Walk: A Guide to Planning the Ultimate Footpath
(Cordee, 2002).
Quoted message said:Journey Through Britain is excellent but certainly not very recent. It
was published in 1968. Also worth reading is Hamish Brown's Groats End
Walk.
I found it inspirational.. but disappointing as it was unevenly paced,
Northern England and Scotland went by in a blur.....
Richard Webb
On 16/2/05 6:27 pm, in article [email hidden], "Mike
Brockhurst said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of the
UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"Who can help?
Thanks,
brockie
I'd do a google search. I'm sure that there some people on the web who have
done this. I seem to remember that route choosing is something of a mammoth
task!
My advice would be not to do it! I'd suggest traversing the length of the
Pyrenees instead (it will be far more pleasant!).
--
Andy Howell To mail simply put back the dots ...
Birmingham, UK
http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/walking/
Home of the Urban Hiker Blog, stuck in the city :-)
In message <[email hidden]>, RJ Webb
<[email hidden]> writes
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:Journey Through Britain is excellent but certainly not very recent. It
was published in 1968. Also worth reading is Hamish Brown's Groats End
Walk.I found it inspirational.. but disappointing as it was unevenly paced,
Northern England and Scotland went by in a blur.....
Whether Hillaby lost interest or ran out of space (publisher's word
limits) I don't know but I agree Scotland doesn't get enough attention.
With both Hillaby and Brown I think the books aren't so good once they
leave the Pennine Way, one heading north, the other south.
Hillaby was my personal inspiration as it was the book that inspired me
to undertake long distance walks.
Quoted message said:There is a book by John Hillaby :
From : http://www.zebra.net/~ernie.seckinger/1999.htm
"John Hillaby: Journey Through Britain: By footpath & track. A
unabridged
Quoted message said:Recorded Books. A most incredible tale of a simple walk through
Britain from
Quoted message said:Cornwall to the tip of Scotland. It let me know that I had miles to
go before I
Quoted message said:could say I understood British geography, but inspired me to do that.
One always
Quoted message said:loves mentions of ancestral places: his mention for me the Quantock
Hills."
Quoted message said:
It is not very recent, but it should give you some ideas.
Mind you, he did loose a couple of toe nails in the process...Koen.
The most "difficult" section I'd imagine is linking the Pennine Way to
Shropshire and points south. I haven't done Lands End to John O'Groats,
but have done a walk from Sussex to Edale by way of Shropshire and
could recommend a route heading SW via Whaley Bridge, Shining Tor,
Macclesfield Forest and the Gritstone Trail to Mow Cop then SW again
passing west of Stoke to Newport, then the Wrekin and Shropshire hills.
Then you could cut SE over the Malverns to the Cotswolds and head
towards Bath and the south-west.
Nick
"Mike Brockhurst" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of
the
Quoted message said:UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information about
routes etc?"
Here's a site I've just noticed I bookmarked a while ago which seems to have
detailed information even if the route looks a bit odd from a glance at the
map. Not that I'm planning such a walk, I was just interested in the
Scottish bit.
http://www.cus.org.uk/~discjirm/walks/Named/LEJOG/index.html
Thanks All...he's bought the Hamish book!
"AndyP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:"Mike Brockhurst" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:A friend has asked "I am beginning to think about walking the length of
theQuoted message said:UK from North to South. Can you direst me to any useful information
about
routes etc?"Here's a site I've just noticed I bookmarked a while ago which seems to
have
detailed information even if the route looks a bit odd from a glance at
the
map. Not that I'm planning such a walk, I was just interested in the
Scottish bit.http://www.cus.org.uk/~discjirm/walks/Named/LEJOG/index.html
"AndyP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:Here's a site I've just noticed I bookmarked a while ago which seems to have
detailed information even if the route looks a bit odd from a glance at the
map. Not that I'm planning such a walk, I was just interested in the
Scottish bit.http://www.cus.org.uk/~discjirm/walks/Named/LEJOG/index.html
Aha, fame at last ;-)
My route is <ahem> unusual; not many LE-JOGers would choose to go via
London and Cambridge, but mine was a sectional walk. I am based in
Cambridge, and I therefore realised I could do everything from Reading
to Edale in day walks. I also passed by the place I was born, the
house of a dear friend, four places I used to live, etc. Since then I
have done LEJOG around the coast (both ways) - a little over 3,000
miles for the west coast.
..David.
--
www.britishwalks.org
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.