Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

late season bombers

Started by Ray Peace · · Last activity · 8 posts · 574 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
25 October 2005
Last activity
26 October 2005
Original author
Ray Peace
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
574
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Greetings,
    Got bombed last Sunday by what appeared to be a large wattle bird
    just down the road here. Avian in question actually hit my helmet, then
    chortled as it settled into nearby tree. Did not get a good look at it,
    was more concerned with getting out of range.
    Was not aware that these blighters bombed, and getting a bit late in the
    season anyway. Will avoid that street for a while.
    Regards,
    Ray.

  2. Ray Peace said:

    Greetings,
    Got bombed last Sunday by what appeared to be a large wattle bird
    just down the road here. Avian in question actually hit my helmet, then
    chortled as it settled into nearby tree. Did not get a good look at it,
    was more concerned with getting out of range.
    Was not aware that these blighters bombed, and getting a bit late in the
    season anyway. Will avoid that street for a while.
    Regards,
    Ray.

    They definitely bomb, but my experience is they start a bit later than
    magpies (just when you think things are settling down). There's one on
    our Sunday BR. Last year we would cop it just over the crest of a nasty
    hill so at least you could get some speed up downhill and get away. This
    year we're copping it on the last part of the climb so there is no where
    to hide. Not sure if it's getting smarter or meaner.

    DaveB

  3. Happened to me this morning. Never seen wattle birds swoop before, must be learning from the maggies. Just brushed my shoulder twice while I was on a little section of dirt next to the trail along the Merri Ck near Dight's Falls.

  4. Ray Peace said:

    Greetings,
    Got bombed last Sunday by what appeared to be a large wattle bird
    just down the road here. Avian in question actually hit my helmet, then
    chortled as it settled into nearby tree. Did not get a good look at it,
    was more concerned with getting out of range.
    Was not aware that these blighters bombed, and getting a bit late in the
    season anyway. Will avoid that street for a while.

    There's one of these in Clifton Hill, just near the old
    Fairfield hospital site. Funny bird .. clonk ... helmets work 🙂

  5. Ray Peace said:

    Greetings,
    Got bombed last Sunday by what appeared to be a large wattle bird
    just down the road here. Avian in question actually hit my helmet, then
    chortled as it settled into nearby tree. Did not get a good look at it,
    was more concerned with getting out of range.
    Was not aware that these blighters bombed, and getting a bit late in the
    season anyway. Will avoid that street for a while.
    Regards,
    Ray.

    I was riding along on Monday with a Peewee hovering about 1.5m above me.
    I could see its shadow on the ground as it swooped occassionally, not
    doing any harm. Must have looked very funny to the drivers passing by,
    cyclist looking oblivious to bird's best attempts at harassment.

    Now I'm wondering whether I can train a bird to sit about a metre above
    my head while I ride. Would be much better than one of those dicky
    orange flags. Maybe I could get a magpie and train it as an attack bird.

    P
    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  6. On 26/10/05 at 10:05:47 slaw somehow managed to type:

    Quoted message said:


    Happened to me this morning. Never seen wattle birds swoop before,

    For the last few years there's been a pair of magpies nesting in one of
    the bloody great gum trees in the street. Apart from this last season
    they've been _THE_ black belt, maniac swoopers of the street.

    They've lost their spot in the "Swoopers League" and the wattle birds
    have taken over..... This year a pair of 'em nested in a street banksia
    and they were total [censored], just feather coated pure flying
    AGRESSION. They really did put the magpies to shame for effort,
    persistance, accuracy and a willingness to take on anything - dog, cat,
    person (adult or child), anything... Easily the best in the street.

    Why they can't behave 'emselves and be good neighbours like the crow
    family a couple of trees down the street. They stick to 'emselves,
    don't go in for swooping and don't squabble. Occasionally they have
    about twenty noisy mates over but that's not often and only for an hour
    or so...:-)

    Cycling content. Absolutely none...:-)

    --
    Humbug

  7. On 2005-10-26, Peter McCallum (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    I was riding along on Monday with a Peewee hovering about 1.5m above me.
    I could see its shadow on the ground as it swooped occassionally, not
    doing any harm. Must have looked very funny to the drivers passing by,
    cyclist looking oblivious to bird's best attempts at harassment.

    Now I'm wondering whether I can train a bird to sit about a metre above
    my head while I ride. Would be much better than one of those dicky
    orange flags. Maybe I could get a magpie and train it as an attack bird.

    And then train the bird so that, once per year, on international talk
    like a pirate day, it sits on your shoulder.

    Arrrrr!

    --
    TimC
    Just because they are called 'forbidden' transitions does not mean
    that they are forbidden. They are less allowed than allowed
    transitions, if you see what I mean. --unknown

  8. TimC said:

    On 2005-10-26, Peter McCallum (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    I was riding along on Monday with a Peewee hovering about 1.5m above me.
    I could see its shadow on the ground as it swooped occassionally, not
    doing any harm. Must have looked very funny to the drivers passing by,
    cyclist looking oblivious to bird's best attempts at harassment.

    Now I'm wondering whether I can train a bird to sit about a metre above
    my head while I ride. Would be much better than one of those dicky
    orange flags. Maybe I could get a magpie and train it as an attack bird.

    And then train the bird so that, once per year, on international talk
    like a pirate day, it sits on your shoulder.

    Arrrrr!

    As long as he doesn't peck me buckaneers... aggrrrrr!

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.