Lateral thinking applied to road design

"Membrane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Two articles on a method that challenges conventional thinking about
> road design:
>
> http://www.fastandsafe.org.nz/Pages/Media/EndofTrafficLights.htm
> http://www.fastandsafe.org.nz/Pages/Media/Monderman.htm

Traffic always seems to manage when the lights break every now and then and
pedestrians were managing to cross the road here when another set broke.

If you ask a traffic engineer though they'll usually disagree and point out
how vital they are...
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

naked_draughtsman said the following on 14/05/2007 13:23:

> Traffic always seems to manage when the lights break every now and then and
> pedestrians were managing to cross the road here when another set broke.

I have a set near me that keeps breaking down - this is a T-junction
with ped crossing. When they do break down, the traffic flows much
better and it's quicker for peds to cross because there are gaps in the
traffic. When the lights work, there are no gaps because of the number
of cars jumping red lights. Oh no, it's only cyclists that do that :)

Which reminds me to contact the council about a new sensor-controlled
crossing, that doesn't have sensors covering where people stand to press
the button...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

naked_draughtsman wrote:

> If you ask a traffic engineer though they'll usually disagree and point out
> how vital they are...

Yes, for the backhanders they get from people like Siemens-Plessey

On May 14, 2:42 pm, Matt B <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com> wrote:
> Membrane wrote:
> > Two articles on a method that challenges conventional thinking about
> > road design:

> >http://www.fastandsafe.org.nz/Pages/Media/EndofTrafficLights.htm
> >http://www.fastandsafe.org.nz/Pages/Media/Monderman.htm

> What wonderful ideas. Let's hope they catch on quickly over here. ;-)

THe white line removal has been tried here:

http://archive.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/2003/2/6/165171.html

don't know if it they are still doing it. Note the reference to a
similar experiment in Norfolk where if IRC they removed the white
lines, traffic slowed down and everybody felt safer. Then they got
worried about what would happen if they got sued, so they put them
back so that they could prove they had acted responsibly. And of
course the traffic speeded up again...

rob

in message <[email protected]>, bugbear
('bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim') wrote:

> Membrane wrote:
>> Two articles on a method that challenges conventional thinking about
>> road design:
>>
>> http://www.fastandsafe.org.nz/Pages/Media/EndofTrafficLights.htm
>> http://www.fastandsafe.org.nz/Pages/Media/Monderman.htm
>>

> Any relation to...
> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/
> ?

Apparently not. However, in checking that out it's amusing to note that
safespeed.org.uk's DNS is provided by speedingbits.com. No, honestly.
Check for yourself.

' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left