Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Latex or Rubber Tubes for racing?

Started by indigo_pete · · Last activity · 7 posts · 1,486 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 May 2005
Last activity
8 May 2005
Original author
indigo_pete
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,486
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. 😕

    I've heard that Latex Tubes can make your clinchers feel like tubulars. I bought a set of Michelins last year but I've still hesitated to put them on my race wheels (road). What about durability/flats? Are they that much better than rubber? I can handle inflating them every 2-3 days, that doesn't bother me.

    What do you know?
    Thanks,
    Pete

  2. Sorry guys. I finally found my original post from 07/04. Thanks to all of you who answered my questions (esp. Weisse Luft).

    :o

  3. indigo_pete said:

    Sorry guys. I finally found my original post from 07/04. Thanks to all of you who answered my questions (esp. Weisse Luft).

    :o


    Honestly don't think its possible to tell the difference...

  4. I tried the Latex tubes this morning and there's a difference in the way my wheels sound and feel. It's very slight. It might just be that I had a good ride! My avg speed was .4mph faster, but that could just be that it wasn't as windy today as it's been.
    Thanks! I'll get that pump ready since I hear I need to pump them up about every 2-3 days!!

  5. domaindomain said:

    Honestly don't think its possible to tell the difference...

    If you have [censored] tires that may be true... if you have really nice tires (i.e. supple casings) and you go from standard butyl tube to latex, the difference is quite noticeable. But they are more hassle. I keep seeing claims of less flats, but I have more flats with latex than the thin butyls.

  6. i have tried these, combined one one particularly memorable and expensive occasion with open corsa cx seta's. and oh, yeah, gommitalia's. these weighed about 140 grams.
    i distincly recall being forced over the most brutally profiled "botts Dots" mid pack and being greeted to the sound and feel of the tires bottoming out 'gainst the rim repeatedly.

    they may not increase your avg speed by .4 as much as riding in a skinsuit will...

    they also will react to the lube used in pumps and deteriorate from the inside out!

    probably no big advantage, but i still may use them again. when it comes to cycling, tell me folly does not rule!

    wilmar13 said:

    If you have [censored] tires that may be true... if you have really nice tires (i.e. supple casings) and you go from standard butyl tube to latex, the difference is quite noticeable. But they are more hassle. I keep seeing claims of less flats, but I have more flats with latex than the thin butyls.

  7. lyotard said:

    When it comes to cycling, tell me folly does not rule!


    The aftermarket depends on it! I try to do my part to keep them happy as well. 😄

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.