LBS with a difference

Spoken4

Guest
In a small Victorian town on the weekend, I happened across their LBS.
As you might expect, being a small town, the shop dealt in another line of
goods as well as bikes - chainsaws.
Here you can see a lovely Felt 55 (?) amongst the blowers and chainsaws.

http://tinyurl.com/oc4nz

What clues would indicate that your bike had been serviced at this LBS?
Your chain comes off and you lose 4 fingers putting it back on!

(I thought we could come up with a Top 10 ala Letterman if we tried :) )

someting along the lines of Armstrong "Is there a chain on this thing?"

Beechworth Cycles & Saws?

Good operator - family business - nothing too much trouble. Well
placed at top end of the **** rail trail.

Sorry for the free plug - I have no business connections with them,
just a happy once up customer.

Stewart.

Stewart wrote:

> Beechworth Cycles & Saws?
>
> Good operator - family business - nothing too much trouble. Well
> placed at top end of the **** rail trail.
>
> Sorry for the free plug - I have no business connections with them,
> just a happy once up customer.
>
> Stewart.

Thats them. I am glad to know they are there for when I do the trail,
hopefully this summer.

Spoken4 wrote:
> In a small Victorian town on the weekend, I happened across their LBS.
> As you might expect, being a small town, the shop dealt in another line of
> goods as well as bikes - chainsaws.
> Here you can see a lovely Felt 55 (?) amongst the blowers and chainsaws.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/oc4nz
>
> What clues would indicate that your bike had been serviced at this LBS?
> Your chain comes off and you lose 4 fingers putting it back on!
>
> (I thought we could come up with a Top 10 ala Letterman if we tried :) )

10. It won't start.

9. Where's the pullcord on this thing?

8. My husband won't use it in the rain.

Friday wrote:
> Spoken4 wrote:
> > In a small Victorian town on the weekend, I happened across their LBS.
> > As you might expect, being a small town, the shop dealt in another line of
> > goods as well as bikes - chainsaws.
> > Here you can see a lovely Felt 55 (?) amongst the blowers and chainsaws.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/oc4nz
> >
> > What clues would indicate that your bike had been serviced at this LBS?
> > Your chain comes off and you lose 4 fingers putting it back on!
> >
> > (I thought we could come up with a Top 10 ala Letterman if we tried :) )
> >

> 10. It won't start.
>
> 9. Where's the pullcord on this thing?
>
> 8. My husband won't use it in the rain.

The leaf blowers can provide added propulsion ala Mythbusters?

"Spoken4" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In a small Victorian town on the weekend, I happened across their LBS.
> As you might expect, being a small town, the shop dealt in another line of
> goods as well as bikes - chainsaws.
> Here you can see a lovely Felt 55 (?) amongst the blowers and chainsaws.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/oc4nz
>
> What clues would indicate that your bike had been serviced at this LBS?
> Your chain comes off and you lose 4 fingers putting it back on!
>
> (I thought we could come up with a Top 10 ala Letterman if we tried
> ) )

You get strangely numb tingly hands after 10 minutes of riding.

Riding overgrown single track is unaccountably easier, but you keep coming
across groups of radical greens laying in the ground in front of you.

Bunny hopping over the radical greens is messier than expected.

You discover that your bike now has a lifetime warranty from Husqvarna

You start wearing a hockey mask to do your commute and suddenly every single
motorist can see you and gives you a remarkable amount of room.

Spoken4 wrote:
> In a small Victorian town on the weekend, I happened across their LBS.
> As you might expect, being a small town, the shop dealt in another line of
> goods as well as bikes - chainsaws.

If you walk into the wrong side of Phantom Cycles it is actually the
Lure & Stikka emporium. There are some that say the stuff on the other
side (the cycle side) are also lures, Kerry is just catching a different
sort of fish.

Parbs

I hope you enjoy that ride as much as I did. Very relaxing to be away
from cars. Great facilities en route. Clean dunnies & shelters.
Mostly good track surface.

- but in Summer? I dunno about that. Hot North winds over bitumen
etc would wipe me out.
I did it in late Autumn this year and it suited my metabolism
perfectly - even snowed on Mt Hotham the day I got into Bright.

Stewart.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:58:20 +1000, Spoken4
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Stewart wrote:
>
>> Beechworth Cycles & Saws?
>>
>> Good operator - family business - nothing too much trouble. Well
>> placed at top end of the **** rail trail.
>>
>> Sorry for the free plug - I have no business connections with them,
>> just a happy once up customer.
>>
>> Stewart.
>>

>Thats them. I am glad to know they are there for when I do the trail,
>hopefully this summer.

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Spoken4" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In a small Victorian town on the weekend, I happened across their LBS.
>> As you might expect, being a small town, the shop dealt in another line
>> of
>> goods as well as bikes - chainsaws.
>> Here you can see a lovely Felt 55 (?) amongst the blowers and chainsaws.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/oc4nz
>>
>> What clues would indicate that your bike had been serviced at this LBS?
>> Your chain comes off and you lose 4 fingers putting it back on!
>>
>> (I thought we could come up with a Top 10 ala Letterman if we tried ) )
>>

> You get strangely numb tingly hands after 10 minutes of riding.
>
> Riding overgrown single track is unaccountably easier, but you keep coming
> across groups of radical greens laying in the ground in front of you.
>
> Bunny hopping over the radical greens is messier than expected.
>
> You discover that your bike now has a lifetime warranty from Husqvarna
>
> You start wearing a hockey mask to do your commute and suddenly every
> single motorist can see you and gives you a remarkable amount of room.

:))))

And you can't bear to ride it without ear protection.

As an aside, stihl on the subject of bikes and chainsaws - I saw once,
down at Circular Quay on a Sunday, one of those guys who does
public tricks for money from the audience. This particular trick
involved riding a mini bicycle round in circles by *standing*
on the top tube, while juggling a running chainsaw. No kidding.

--
beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

"Parbs" wrote:

> If you walk into the wrong side of Phantom Cycles it is actually the Lure
> & Stikka emporium. There are some that say the stuff on the other side
> (the cycle side) are also lures, Kerry is just catching a different sort
> of fish.

Well he's a Shimano dealer after all. Just handling both of their lines.
(Boom tish!)

A friend of mine who's toured the Shimano Japan plant ells me they assemble
their cycle components on the same machines that they also use to assemble
guns!!

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Parbs" wrote:
>>
>> If you walk into the wrong side of Phantom Cycles it is actually the Lure
>> & Stikka emporium. There are some that say the stuff on the other side
>> (the cycle side) are also lures, Kerry is just catching a different sort
>> of fish.

> Well he's a Shimano dealer after all. Just handling both of their lines.
> (Boom tish!)
>
> A friend of mine who's toured the Shimano Japan plant ells me they
> assemble their cycle components on the same machines that they also use to
> assemble guns!!

Is that where the term "Rapid Fire" came from?

However I am sceptical. I have never seen a gun with derailleurs.

Wilfred

Wilfred Kazoks wrote:

> Is that where the term "Rapid Fire" came from?
>
> However I am sceptical. I have never seen a gun with derailleurs.

Doesn't Lotte have one of those?

Travis

Peter Signorini wrote:
> "Parbs" wrote:
>
>>If you walk into the wrong side of Phantom Cycles it is actually the Lure
>>& Stikka emporium. There are some that say the stuff on the other side
>>(the cycle side) are also lures, Kerry is just catching a different sort
>>of fish.

> Well he's a Shimano dealer after all. Just handling both of their lines.
> (Boom tish!)
>
> A friend of mine who's toured the Shimano Japan plant ells me they assemble
> their cycle components on the same machines that they also use to assemble
> guns!!

Hmmm. Very different metals I would have thought. What guns?

Dave

Resound wrote:

> "Spoken4" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In a small Victorian town on the weekend, I happened across their LBS.
>> As you might expect, being a small town, the shop dealt in another line
>> of goods as well as bikes - chainsaws.
>> Here you can see a lovely Felt 55 (?) amongst the blowers and chainsaws.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/oc4nz
>>
>> What clues would indicate that your bike had been serviced at this LBS?
>> Your chain comes off and you lose 4 fingers putting it back on!
>>
>> (I thought we could come up with a Top 10 ala Letterman if we tried
>> ) )
>>

> You get strangely numb tingly hands after 10 minutes of riding.
>
> Riding overgrown single track is unaccountably easier, but you keep coming
> across groups of radical greens laying in the ground in front of you.
>
> Bunny hopping over the radical greens is messier than expected.
>
> You discover that your bike now has a lifetime warranty from Husqvarna
>
> You start wearing a hockey mask to do your commute and suddenly every
> single motorist can see you and gives you a remarkable amount of room.

If you fall off your bike, you land on the nearest house/dwelling/pick-up
truck.

(ala Funniest home videos)

"dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Peter Signorini wrote:
>> "Parbs" wrote:
>>
>>>If you walk into the wrong side of Phantom Cycles it is actually the Lure
>>>& Stikka emporium. There are some that say the stuff on the other side
>>>(the cycle side) are also lures, Kerry is just catching a different sort
>>>of fish.

>> Well he's a Shimano dealer after all. Just handling both of their lines.
>> (Boom tish!)
>>
>> A friend of mine who's toured the Shimano Japan plant ells me they
>> assemble
>> their cycle components on the same machines that they also use to
>> assemble
>> guns!!
>>

> Hmmm. Very different metals I would have thought. What guns?
>
> Dave

And where can we get hand checkered grips?

Resound wrote:
> "dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Peter Signorini wrote:

>>>Well he's a Shimano dealer after all. Just handling both of their lines.
>>>(Boom tish!)
>>>
>>>A friend of mine who's toured the Shimano Japan plant ells me they
>>>assemble
>>>their cycle components on the same machines that they also use to
>>>assemble
>>>guns!!
>>>

>>Hmmm. Very different metals I would have thought. What guns?
>>
>>Dave

> And where can we get hand checkered grips?

There used to be a thing called (I think) an AR5. Made by remington and
colt under licence from memory. It was a .22lr barrel over a 410
barrel. break down single shot. ie you put it together to load it. The
barrels and action and about 20 lr rounds and 5 410 shells fitted in the
fibreglass stock. And the whole thing would float in water Weighed
maybe 2 kg. . It was a backpack, parachute harness survival rifle.
And the barrel was only good for a few hundred rounds. Robyn had one.
Seems the sort of thing shimano might make :)

Dave

--
Frank
[email protected]
"Wilfred Kazoks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Parbs" wrote:
> >>
> >> If you walk into the wrong side of Phantom Cycles it is actually the

Lure
> >> & Stikka emporium. There are some that say the stuff on the other side
> >> (the cycle side) are also lures, Kerry is just catching a different

sort
> >> of fish.

> > Well he's a Shimano dealer after all. Just handling both of their lines.
> > (Boom tish!)
> >
> > A friend of mine who's toured the Shimano Japan plant ells me they
> > assemble their cycle components on the same machines that they also use

> > assemble guns!!

> Is that where the term "Rapid Fire" came from?
>
> However I am sceptical. I have never seen a gun with derailleurs.
>
> Wilfred

I've seen a bike with triggers :)