General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

LC baked dessert without sugar substitue?

Started by Elana · · Last activity · 11 posts · 412 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 July 2004
Last activity
21 July 2004
Original author
Elana
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
412
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello, LC cooks!

    I'm not a sugar substitute fan. However, I am a big dessert fan,
    and so I'm looking for a LC baked dessert that doesn't involve sugar
    substitutes. I searched on google, but no luck so far. Any ideas or
    suggestions or recipes will be EXTREMELY appreciated!

    Thank you very much!

    Elana

  2. Ignoramus19260 wrote:
    :: In article <[email hidden]>, Elana
    :: wrote:
    ::: Hello, LC cooks!
    :::
    ::: I'm not a sugar substitute fan. However, I am a big dessert fan,
    ::: and so I'm looking for a LC baked dessert that doesn't involve sugar
    ::: substitutes. I searched on google, but no luck so far. Any ideas
    ::: or suggestions or recipes will be EXTREMELY appreciated!
    ::
    :: think baked apples.
    ::
    :: It is hard to be low carbing and be a "big dessert fan".

    Especially if you don't eat AS.

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ignoramus19260 said:
    In article said:

    Hello, LC cooks!
    I'm not a sugar substitute fan. However, I am a big dessert fan,
    and so I'm looking for a LC baked dessert that doesn't involve sugar
    substitutes. I searched on google, but no luck so far. Any ideas or
    suggestions or recipes will be EXTREMELY appreciated!


    think baked apples.
    It is hard to be low carbing and be a "big dessert fan".

    I would stick to a baked fruit item, adding lots of spices and nuts,
    with no added sugar. That won't be so bad.

    I like to do a blueberry cobbler with a topping made of chopped nuts,
    cinnamon, and butter. I put a little cinnamon and lemon peel into the
    blueberries along with some Not Starch. Serve with unsweetened whipped
    cream.

    Priscilla

  4. Priscilla Ballou said:


    I like to do a blueberry cobbler with a topping made of chopped nuts,
    cinnamon, and butter. I put a little cinnamon and lemon peel into the
    blueberries along with some Not Starch. Serve with unsweetened
    whipped cream.

    This sounds excellent! The same could probably be done with strawberries,
    raspberries or peaches as well, and still stay reasonably low carb. Not
    induction low, but certainly within the reach of a great many low carbers.
    --
    Debbie

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Debbie Cusick said:
    Priscilla Ballou said:


    I like to do a blueberry cobbler with a topping made of chopped nuts,
    cinnamon, and butter. I put a little cinnamon and lemon peel into the
    blueberries along with some Not Starch. Serve with unsweetened
    whipped cream.

    This sounds excellent! The same could probably be done with strawberries,
    raspberries or peaches as well, and still stay reasonably low carb. Not
    induction low, but certainly within the reach of a great many low carbers.

    I'd do peaches, but not the other two this way. Maybe apples and either
    strawberries or raspberries, but some instinct says not to do them
    alone. Or peaches and raspberries -- peach melba nut cobbler!

    The recipe I gave is for the OP. For myself, I put a little bit of
    genuine sugar (just a little bit) in both blueberries and topping, and
    some oatmeal in the topping, too. (I don't see why one couldn't use
    low-carb baking mix to give the topping a little more body.) And my
    whipped cream has Splenda in it. It's still lowER carb than most
    traditional desserts, and full of stuff that's good for you. Cinnamon
    can also be helpful in keeping BG down, so it may counteract some of the
    few carbs I add in.

    Oh, and it's also good warm with a scoop of no-sugar added vanilla ice
    cream on top. ;-)

    Priscilla

  6. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Ignoramus19260 wrote:
    ::
    :: It is hard to be low carbing and be a "big dessert fan".

    Especially if you don't eat AS.

    You bet. I love sweets (that's why I need to watch my weight in the
    first place). I totally agree with LC principles, and other WOEs
    don't make sence to me. It eases the physical cravings greatly,
    however, I wasn't yet able to conquer the nostalgic feelings towards
    desserts. Every now and then I find my self digging into something
    illegal, so I'm trying to fight the nostalgia by finding good LC
    desserts. And I try to avoid artificial stuff like sugar substitues.
    And hence my post 🙂

    Elana

  7. Priscilla Ballou <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Debbie Cusick said:
    Priscilla Ballou said:


    I like to do a blueberry cobbler with a topping made of chopped nuts,
    cinnamon, and butter. I put a little cinnamon and lemon peel into the
    blueberries along with some Not Starch. Serve with unsweetened
    whipped cream.

    This sounds excellent! The same could probably be done with strawberries,
    raspberries or peaches as well, and still stay reasonably low carb. Not
    induction low, but certainly within the reach of a great many low carbers.

    I'd do peaches, but not the other two this way. Maybe apples and either
    strawberries or raspberries, but some instinct says not to do them
    alone. Or peaches and raspberries -- peach melba nut cobbler!

    The recipe I gave is for the OP. For myself, I put a little bit of
    genuine sugar (just a little bit) in both blueberries and topping, and
    some oatmeal in the topping, too. (I don't see why one couldn't use
    low-carb baking mix to give the topping a little more body.) And my
    whipped cream has Splenda in it. It's still lowER carb than most
    traditional desserts, and full of stuff that's good for you. Cinnamon
    can also be helpful in keeping BG down, so it may counteract some of the
    few carbs I add in.

    Oh, and it's also good warm with a scoop of no-sugar added vanilla ice
    cream on top. ;-)

    Priscilla

    Priscilla, thank you very much! I shall definitiely try your idea. I
    will also try baked apples suggested bu Igor. For some reason, his
    post is not showing up on google groups, and I only saw that he
    suggested baked apples from another reply. Thanks Igor! Berries with
    nuts... YUMMMM. Can't wait to go home and turn on my oven!

    Thank you!

  8. Elana wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    :: news:<[email hidden]>...
    ::: Ignoramus19260 wrote:
    :::::
    ::::: It is hard to be low carbing and be a "big dessert fan".
    :::
    ::: Especially if you don't eat AS.
    ::
    :: You bet. I love sweets (that's why I need to watch my weight in the
    :: first place). I totally agree with LC principles, and other WOEs
    :: don't make sence to me. It eases the physical cravings greatly,
    :: however, I wasn't yet able to conquer the nostalgic feelings towards
    :: desserts. Every now and then I find my self digging into something
    :: illegal, so I'm trying to fight the nostalgia by finding good LC
    :: desserts. And I try to avoid artificial stuff like sugar substitues.
    :: And hence my post 🙂
    ::
    :: Elana

    At the risk of openning another can of worms for you (speaking from personal
    experience), have you tried nuts? Almonds, Macs, pecans, cashews? Much
    better than sweet stuff, imo. Nut fat is good for you and I do think it is
    harder to gain weight eating a high fat diet as opposed to a high carb diet.
    Of course, eating too many nuts will definitely prevent you from
    losing...just something to think about.

    ps...I love sweets too. So you are NOT alone...

  9. Quoted message said:

    Hello, LC cooks!

    I'm not a sugar substitute fan. However, I am a big dessert fan,
    and so I'm looking for a LC baked dessert that doesn't involve sugar
    substitutes. I searched on google, but no luck so far. Any ideas or
    suggestions or recipes will be EXTREMELY appreciated!

    Thank you very much!

    Elana

    Crafting Mom's Chocolate:
    Melt half a square (half an ounce) of unsweetened baking chocolate in the
    microwave, and mix in two tablespoons of peanut butter or almond butter. Chill
    to harden. (This make two servings.) It's not especially sweet, but it is
    very chocolatey. A small amount seems to satisfy the urge for chocolate
    without making you feel the need for more, more, more.

    The almond-butter version is even better with unsweetened shredded coconut
    mixed in.

  10. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    At the risk of openning another can of worms for you (speaking from personal
    experience), have you tried nuts? Almonds, Macs, pecans, cashews? Much
    better than sweet stuff, imo. Nut fat is good for you and I do think it is
    harder to gain weight eating a high fat diet as opposed to a high carb diet.
    Of course, eating too many nuts will definitely prevent you from
    losing...just something to think about.

    ps...I love sweets too. So you are NOT alone...

    No cans of worms opened. I love nuts, and almond butter. They're
    sweet to taste, but you have to watch the amounts, for sure. I eat
    nuts with some fruits (apples, plums) or berries and cream for sugar
    cravings. However, baked desert is a baked dessert, you have to
    agree. Nothing like biting into something with a crust. That's what
    I've been missing the most on LC.

    I understand you 100% on the sweets 🙂

    Thanks
    Elana

  11. [email hidden] (Cailleachschilde) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Crafting Mom's Chocolate:
    Melt half a square (half an ounce) of unsweetened baking chocolate in the
    microwave, and mix in two tablespoons of peanut butter or almond butter. Chill
    to harden. (This make two servings.) It's not especially sweet, but it is
    very chocolatey. A small amount seems to satisfy the urge for chocolate
    without making you feel the need for more, more, more.

    The almond-butter version is even better with unsweetened shredded coconut
    mixed in.

    Thanks, Crafting Mom!
    I wonder whether unsweetened cocoa would work. It'd take out some fat
    from the recipe.

    Elana.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.